*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2223465-Blinded
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Drama · #2223465
A man that sees nothings, knows nothing, and refuses to believe in anything.

Blinded
by Keaton Foster

*Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5*


Upon
The edge
Does he stand,
Blinded.
Said man,
In his hand
Nothing.
In his heart,
Less.
In his head,
Porous lesions,
Infected regions.
A mangled mush
Of ideas dreamt
And promise
Not quite kept
To himself
And all else.
Blinded,
In such a way,
To such a place
He did not travel.
He was brought to be,
Carefully placed,
Willfully,
Made to face
Fate
At his feet,
Destiny
At his back.
A choice
Does this seem
We all will make.
Blinded,
He cannot see
What is real,
What is not.
He understands
More than most,
But explores it
Less than all else.
He is no fool,
But nor is he
Defined by brilliance.
All that he knows,
All that he won’t,
Is abundantly fake
In a world made real
By the plight of seeing.
He has never known
Beauty or splendor.
He plays the game,
All the while knowing
For absolute certain
That he has lost.
He does not cheat,
Nor does he set out to win.
He is indifferent to,
And because of the idea
That a life,
Even one as his,
Is supposed to mean
And be something greater
Than all else.
He is immune
To the words we lip.
He cares nothing of
The sound we spill,
And the truth we bleed.
No questions
Dare he ask,
No ideals
Does he share.
He is alone,
As alone is
And has always
Been meant to be.
Blinded,
Love he has not,
Hate he does not know,
Pain he cannot feel,
Joy he won’t allow
Himself to believe.
Who or what
Took his sight
Matters not.
Why or why not,
How come him
And not any other
Matters least of all.
He feels nothing
Of the pain of seeing
Or of the concept
Of understanding.
Blinded,
So be it.
Upon
The edge
Does he stand.
In this way,
He was placed,
Brought to face
What he can’t see
And what he has been
Forced to face.
Fate it seems
Is not without
A certain degree
Of irony…



Written by Keaton Foster Copyright © 2008-2020


Synopsis

This poem presents a vivid portrayal of a man standing on the edge, blinded and grappling with his fate and destiny. It explores themes of existential isolation, the irony of life, and the struggle to find meaning in a world where perception is both limited and manipulated.

Analysis:

Blinded State: The central figure is described as blinded, both literally and metaphorically. This blindness represents ignorance, lack of perception, and an imposed limitation on understanding ("Blinded / Said man / In his hand / Nothing / In his heart / Less").

Mental and Emotional State: The man’s mental state is depicted as fragmented and damaged, with "porous lesions" and "infected regions." This imagery conveys a sense of decay and corruption in his thoughts and emotions.

Forced Fate: The man did not arrive at his position by choice but was placed there, indicating a lack of agency and control over his destiny ("He did not travel / He was brought to be / Carefully placed / Willfully / Made to face / Fate").

Existential Reflection: The poem delves into the man's existential musings. Despite understanding more than most, he explores less, indicating a disconnection between knowledge and experience ("He understands / More than most / But explores it / Less than all else").

Indifference and Isolation: The man is indifferent to life's supposed meanings and greater purposes. He is detached from emotions, societal norms, and conventional wisdom ("He is no fool / But nor is he / Defined by brilliance / All that he knows / All that he won’t / Is abundantly fake").

Absence of Emotion: The man is depicted as devoid of love, hate, pain, and joy. This emotional numbness highlights his profound isolation and detachment from the human experience ("Love he has not / Hate he does not know / Pain he cannot feel / Joy he won’t allow").

Irony of Fate: The poem concludes with a reflection on the irony of fate. The man's blindness and forced confrontation with his fate underscore the absurdity and cruelty of his situation ("Fate it seems / Is not without / A certain degree / Of irony").

Interpretation:

The poem can be interpreted as a meditation on the human condition, particularly the ways in which individuals can be manipulated and stripped of their agency. The man’s blindness symbolizes a broader existential blindness, where individuals are unable to see or understand the true nature of their existence and are left to grapple with imposed limitations.

His detachment from emotions and societal norms highlights the alienation and isolation that can result from such manipulation. The poem suggests that understanding and perception are critical to truly living, and without them, one is merely existing, placed on an edge without the means to fully grasp their situation.

The ironic twist of fate serves as a commentary on the absurdity of life, where even the most profound understandings can be rendered meaningless in the face of imposed blindness and predetermined paths. The man’s indifference and resignation reflect a deep cynicism and a rejection of the notion that life holds inherent meaning or purpose.

Ultimately, the poem portrays a bleak yet poignant picture of a man grappling with existential despair, questioning the nature of fate, agency, and the human experience.



© Copyright 2020 Keaton Foster: Know My Hell! (keatonfoster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2223465-Blinded