*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263678-The-Theory-Behind-Conservatism
Rated: E · Editorial · News · #2263678
The Addison Daily Show- An Article By Firebrand Times News Editor/Journalist, Miss Addison
The Theory Behind Conservatism


Tradition is a beautiful occurrence. A person cannot discuss the principles behind conservatism without mentioning one of the core characteristics of conservatism is we support keeping tradition in society. For me, the beauty behind traditions is equal to the grandeur of our elderly and both should be honored.

People believe we do not succumb well to change. This is entirely untrue. I can’t speak for every conservative amongst us but what I can say is the majority of us believe there are things in this world worth saving.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “Is it not preference for the old and tried, over the new and untried?”

The founder of true conservatism was Edwin Burke whose Reflections on the Revolution in France influenced the fathers of our republic and in turn shaped the ideas of one of the longest standing documents in our history, the United States Constitution. What we believe in is certain abiding truths which govern the conduct of our society.


Human Dignity

Men and nations are governed by divine wisdom and justice. Every human life should be held in high esteem because we were created in the image of God. A person should only be measured by the content of their character. We should encourage education and hardwork. In America, everyone who plays by the rules should get a fair shot. By preserving these ideals, we will maintain the goodness of what our great nation stands for, the secret to our success.


Peace through Strength


The government's first obligation is to provide for our “common defense” of our homeland and interests abroad. America serves in a role of moral leadership in a dangerous world. Weakness invites aggression. We must remain the strongest military power on earth.

The Rule of Law

Ours “is a government of laws not of men” and the rule of law is it’s foundation. Public and private virtue should be encouraged and justice administered equally to all. Each branch of government must adhere to the constitution. The judicial branch cannot be allowed to exercise legislative or executive powers. Transparency and accountability are keys to good government.
Individual Freedom

The birth of America was inspired by brave declarations that our individual, God-given liberties should be preserved against government intrusion.

I’m going to repeat that one again for the people who didn’t hear it in the back.

The birth of America was inspired by brave and bold declarations that our individual, God-given liberties should be preserved against government intrusion. All men were created equal and were given these liberties by God such as rights to life, liberties, conscience, free speech, freedom of religion, to own property, to build wealth, pursue happiness, and to protect ourselves and our families. The role of government is to protect these rights.


Limited Government

For these liberties to be advocated, the role of government must be reduced. We believe, as our founders did, the government operates by the consent of the people.


Fiscal Responsibility

Our government has not lived within its means and because of this we face unprecedented debt. Congress has a moral obligation to get it’s spending under control. The regular order and accountability in our budget needs to be restored.


Free Markets

Government is often the obstacle to the progress and prosperity of free people. Free markets and free trade agreements allow for innovation.The free enterprise system rewards hard work and self sacrifice.


Conclusion

Power is dangerous. Conservative principles shelter the hopes of everyone in society. It isn’t a defense for capitalism and it is greater than political or economic ideologies. It involves dignity, justice, the pursuit of happiness, and the relationship between God and man.
© Copyright 2021 Bride A. Livewire (iambride at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263678-The-Theory-Behind-Conservatism