*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281035-Separated
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Drama · #2281035
Those around us grow, as we few, remain separated

Separated
by Keaton Foster

*Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5*


Separated
There
By itself,
Oneself,
In a field
Of many,
Down low
In the shadows,
In the shade.
So cold
Beneath.
All around,
Life grows,
Rises above,
But it is not alive
And it is not dead.
It is in between,
In a world of beauty
And a life of ugly.
It has existed,
Such persistence.
What is it?
How could it be?
Omnipresent,
Futile this being,
Fighting a world
Blind to that which
It dares not see.
No one,
Nothing
Offers aid.
Caring,
A fool’s charade.
Fighting battles,
Waging wars,
In a wilderness
Of such absolutes.
Winning, impossible.
Surviving, the same.
It could scream,
But silent it must be.
Nothing cares most
When there are no rules
To define that which is,
Could ever be something.
Of what do we speak?
These words,
Such riddles,
Inhospitable
Towards understanding
And all meaning.
A game thus played,
An answer swayed,
The truth delayed.
Reality is the face
Of the stranger
Standing out of reach,
Asking for change,
Seeking the same,
When there is,
Nor will there be.
There,
By itself,
It stands.
An omen
And an homage,
All within itself.
Everything
And everywhere else.
Others do grow,
Standing true,
Facing what must be,
As they turn a blind eye
To that of which I speak.
All around,
The real,
Nothing
And no one else.
All that there is
Or ever could be
Is as close
And as far away
As that which
Neither lives
Nor dies.
Isolation
Is as close
As it need be.
Separated…


Written by Keaton Foster Copyright © 2008-2022



Synopsis

This poem evokes a sense of existential solitude and the struggle of being isolated in a world filled with life yet devoid of connection. It appears to explore the paradox of existing in a state that is neither fully alive nor dead, symbolizing perhaps an entity or a state of being that exists in a liminal space.

Analysis:

Existential Isolation: The recurring theme of separation and isolation ("Separated / There / By itself") highlights the profound solitude experienced by the subject, which is not part of the vibrant life around it ("In a field / Of many / Down low / In the shadows").

Liminal State: The poem repeatedly emphasizes a state of being that is neither alive nor dead ("it is not alive / And it is not dead / It is in between"), suggesting a liminal or transitional existence that defies easy categorization.

Persistence and Futility: The subject persists despite the futility of its situation ("Such persistence / Omnipresent / Futile this being / Fighting a world / Blind to that which / It dares not see"). This struggle against an unseeing world implies a conflict with the indifference of existence.

Invisibility and Unacknowledged Struggle: The subject’s battles and wars go unnoticed and unappreciated ("No one / Nothing / Offers aid / Caring / A fool’s charade"), suggesting an invisible struggle that is fundamentally isolating.

Absence of Meaning: The poem questions the meaning of existence and reality ("Nothing cares most / When there are no rules / To define that which is / Could ever be something"), emphasizing the difficulty of finding purpose or recognition in a seemingly indifferent universe.

Symbolic Imagery: The imagery of standing alone and unnoticed in the shade, surrounded by life yet separate from it, can symbolize various states of alienation, whether emotional, existential, or social.

Universal and Personal: While the poem speaks to a universal experience of isolation and struggle, it also feels deeply personal, perhaps reflecting the poet’s own feelings of being unseen and unrecognized.

Interpretation:

The poem may be interpreted as a meditation on the nature of existence and the human condition, exploring themes of isolation, the search for meaning, and the struggle against an indifferent reality. The "it" that stands alone could represent an individual, a feeling, or an abstract concept like a thought or a state of mind that is persistently present yet not fully acknowledged or understood by others. This creates a poignant reflection on the nature of being and the often unnoticed battles that each person faces.




© Copyright 2022 Keaton Foster: Know My Hell! (keatonfoster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281035-Separated