*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292832-The-New-Job
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2292832
Flash Fiction
The New Job

“So glad you stopped in!” Dad said, “How’s the new job working out.”

“That’s what I came over to tell you!” Ted said.

“It’s been a week now, I wanted you to settle in before I gave you the third degree. I loved it there, but the company has changed since I retired.”

“Right.”

“So, you’re in message delivery, right? You must have had to learn a lot of names, and the layout of the buildings...”

“Yeah, it was a whirlwind!”

“What do you think of the people? I know there’ve been changes since I left.”

“Yeah, I wanted to ask you if Dennis worked there when you were there, he seems newish, but also seems to have a lot of clout.”

“Oh, he’d just started when I retired. I never really got to know him. I heard he moved up in the company pretty fast.”

“Yeah, VP now.”

“Wow. Well anyway your job?”

“So, delivering messages all day, always moving around, I got the lay of the land early.”

“I’m impressed, and how do you like it?”

“Well the first few days I wasn’t fond of it, but then I got a couple deliveries that changed things.”

“Changed things?”

“Yes, and actually I don’t deliver messages anymore. As of Friday.”

“You quit?!?”

“No, I got a new job.”

“Huh?”

“I had to deliver a few messages to Dennis, some from Ronda, in sales? And one of them was not sealed and it fell out of the envelope just as I got in his office. It was from Ronda… pretty hot stuff!”

“You read it?!”

“It fell out, up. I’m a pretty fast reader, it wasn’t intentional!”

“And?”

“And as of last Friday, I’m Dennis’s personal assistant!”

“What?”

“And I got a hefty raise!”

“That’s my boy!”
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292832-The-New-Job