*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308547-The-Trumpet
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2308547
Flash Fiction
The Trumpet

“Mom, have you seen my trumpet?”

“It’s usually in the den…” Mom called back.

“I know that,” said Alex, “but it’s not there now.”

“Well, where did you have it last? Did you bring it up to your room?”

“I don’t think so… but I’ll go check…” off he went upstairs.

Mom turned to Dad, “Where did you put it.”

“What? I didn’t put it anywhere!”

“Come on, you’ve been regretting this purchase since five minutes after you bought it for him.”

“Granted, but he wanted so much to have a musical instrument and the internet said a trumpet was a good starter.”

“I find that hard to believe… however, you can’t just hide it now!”

“I didn’t, I swear. I was planning on clearing out a place in the garage for him to practice. I was going to do that today!”

“OK, I guess I’ll believe you… for now… so, where could it be? He does leave it around but it’s big enough that it should be easy to find…”

“I guess I better go help…” Dad said, “It has to be somewhere.”

They could not find it. Later in the morning, “Did you take it to school? Were any of your friends using it?” all “no” as an answer. “It’s a mystery,” Dad said.

Mom, still suspicious, “We’ll get you another, or maybe a guitar this time…”

“A guitar? Yippee!” and a new plan was made.

Deep in the bowels of the cellar another conversation was being whispered. “OK! You all did a great job! I know it was a burden but thanks to all of us working together we got it here! The child will never find it behind the heat thingy! We are free!” The crowd of house mice all clapped, quietly, in glee!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2308547-The-Trumpet