*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319296-Milly-and-Jr-Burger
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Draft · Young Adult · #2319296
An introduction to Milly while babysitting the Jr Burger.
Milly walked to Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) MacDonald's door. His wife had called Milly earlier in the day, needing a last-minute babysitter. Milly started to say no because some of the girls at school had already babysat for Mrs. MacDonald. The girls called her many names. The word "nice" was not on the list. Mrs. MacDonald's son is eight years old, and the names used about him are not nice ones, either.

During the call, Mrs. MacDonald described her son as mischievous and said, "He can be a little naughty." She offered Milly $100 for a four-hour gig.

Milly thought it amusing that Mrs. Lt Colonel MacDonald called her son naughty, and the other sitters called him a "little beast." At school, he is called "Jr Burger." Thanks to his first-day introduction in class, all the kids knew his full name, Donald Chester MacDonald. The teacher should have stayed on script and called him Donnie. Milly understood how parents could be unknowingly cruel sometimes. Melisandria ...

Mrs. MacDonald had been on station for four months and alienated the enlisted families. Milly understood why in their brief phone call. Mrs. MacDonald spoke condescendingly. Milly had a feeling this evening would suck. But $100 is hard to turn down. She brushed her hair behind her ears with her thumbs. Straightened her vest before knocking on the door.

Mrs. MacDonald opened the door. Milly watched as the woman blinked a couple of times, then took a step back. A reaction Milly is used to when meeting someone for the first time. Her pale pinkish skin and jet black hair dyed a dark rose red on the tips, often caused double-takes. Her dark makeup circled her eyes before fading towards her ears. A gold chain started in the perishing of her left earlobe. Draped across her cheek, shining in the evening sun, penning to a perishing on her nose. Her shoes and shirt are all black. The faded, almost white, blue jeans have random cuts between the semes. Red stockings blazed through the openings. "I am sorry. There must be a mistake," the older woman said, waving her hand dismissively as she started closing the door.

"No, no mistake," Milly snapped. "You called me. Remember?"

"Well ... Yes, your card was the last one in the box." Mrs. MacDonald continued. "Mrs. Hall said you are good with pets and would make a good babysitter, but?"

Looking at Mrs. MacDonald in the eyes, Milly said, "Let's start again and a little friendlier." Milly's vision became crystal clear, and a yellow ring glowed around Mrs. Macdonald's irises. "My name is Milly. You called me because you need a sitter. And we both know I am the only setter you will find this late." Milly used the most affable tone of voice she could.

After a pause, "Yes," Mrs. MacDonald said as she raised straightening her back and smoothing the front of her dress. Opening the door and holding out a hand, "Yes," she started softly, "Yes, I am Mrs. Lt Colonel MacDonald. I am happy to meet you, Milly. You come highly recommended. Please come in."

Milly gently shook the woman's hand and lifted an eyebrow at the sudden difference in attitude.

--------------------------

Donny MacDonald is the worst kid in the world to babysit. You better be ready for the following trouble when you name your child Donald MacDonald. Donny is an eight-year-old with a chip on his shoulder, and his parents do not understand. Milly knew what it felt like to be called names. Jr. Burger is a rather ugly nickname. She chuckled to herself anyway.

Mrs. MacDonald yelled for Donny, who quickly stood next to his mother.

Before finishing her introduction, "Hello, I'm." Donny started yelling, "No, she's a Witch, a Witch." Running up the stairs.

Mrs. MacDonald thought twice before speaking. Then, "The ladies at the Officer's Club said you are the best babysitter on base."

"Well, I seem to have a way with kids. What time will you be back? Does he have any food allergies ... "

How rude! Mrs. MacDonald cut Milly off and rattled off a list of dos and don'ts. Then Donny appeared behind his Mom. He stuck up his middle finger, stuck out his tongue, and stomped his feet before marching into the other room, complaining the babysitter looked like a witch.

The MacDonalds would be back around midnight. They offered an extra $25 if Donny slept when they got home. When his parents left, Donny went into high gear. He liked running and jumping on people. Milly didn't like running and didn't chase either. She sat on the couch, watching the TV while Donny went this way and that, yelling and even throwing some food on the floor.

When he threw the baseball at her, Milly held up her hand and caught it without moving her head to look. "This is mine now," she said.

Donny next loaded his super-soaker and crept to the living room. He pounced around the edge of the doorway. The water gun was locked and loaded. He was ready to pull the trigger, soaking the young lady sitting quietly on the couch.

Looking Donny in the eyes, "FREEZE, buster!" Milly shouted.

A yellow glow appeared in Donny's eyes as he froze! He could not move his arms or legs or look another way. He could feel his finger on the trigger but could not pull it.

At first, Milly thought he was faking. She walked to him, then circled him. He would not move. He didn't blink or quiver a lip. "We are going to play a game," Milly stated.

Milly looked eye-to-eye with Donny. She pointed her finger at his nose, "Donny, you will politely and quietly clean up your messes, pick up your toys, take a bath, go to bed, and sleep." Milly thought the boy was about to cry. Small tears formed in each eye. The yellow glow circled his irises. She flipped his lower lip with her finger and gently whispered, "Move."

Milly couldn't believe the next hour and a half. Donny did everything she told him to do—word for word.

Mr. and Mrs. MacDonald arrived home about an hour later than planned. They were surprised to see the house clean and Donny asleep.

Mr. MacDonald said, "She is the only sitter to get him in bed and asleep. You get the bonus of $25."

Mr. MacDonald looked into Milly's eyes as she whispered, "It should be another hundred dollars." She noticed the same yellow glow around his irises.

Mr. MacDonald gave her an extra $100 bill. He thanked her and asked if she would babysit for them again. Milly tried to give the extra money back. "No. The boy is asleep, and the house is clean," Mrs. MacDonald cheerfully said, "You earned it."
© Copyright 2024 Dale Ricky (dalericky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319296-Milly-and-Jr-Burger