*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319399-17-Extended-Family
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2319399
In which several familial and potentially romantic connections are made.
Only one other stool is occupied, which means Kai can distract himself by talking to Pepper as long as he wants. Except Pepper is in conversation with someone else. He’s about Kai’s age, maybe a little older. The light from the LED panels behind the bar catch on the colored streaks in his hair, turning them almost neon blue, and he's currently making puppy eyes in Pepper’s direction.

“You’re alone tonight.”

Pepper rolls her eyes. “Are you offering to fix that?”

“All you have to do is tell me what you need.” His offer makes Pepper swat him.

“You know exactly what I need. What I don’t understand is why you won’t do it.”

“Because,” The man leans closer to her across the bar, tapping his forefinger against his chest. “Bel doesn’t do things without the proper incentive.”

The familiarity between the two of them sets Kai’s teeth on edge in a way that it shouldn’t. Because it’s none of Kai’s business who Pepper chooses to flirt with. But does this guy really need to lean so close to Pepper like that, and does she really need to smile at him so much?

“Fine.” Pepper also leans forward, and her smile takes on a slightly mocking quality. “What ‘incentive’ does Bel want?”

The man who has been identified as Bel winks at her. “Sex on the Beach.”

Kai chokes on the basil leaf that’s somehow found its way into his mouth.

Pepper rolls her eyes. “Don’t you get enough of that off the clock?”

“I do,” Bel leans against the bar as Pepper turns her back to him. “But you’re the only one who does it the way I like it.”

Kai understands as well as Pepper does that dealing with flirty patrons ispart of the job description, but Bel’s proposition is making his jaw clench and his free hand curl up. Before he can throw any ill advised punches, Pepper turns back to the bar, and the tang of peaches and oranges tickles Kai’s nostrils. He can see the vibrant layers of red and orange through the glass in Pepper’s hand, shimmering like liquid sunshine.

“You should teach your boyfriend how to make your favorite cocktail then.” Pepper’s grin is mischievous as she slides Bel’s drink of choice to him across the bar.

“Cocktail. Right.” Kai isn’t sure he’s said it out loud until Bel turns to him, eyebrows raised, turning Kai’s face the same color as the contents of the glass.

“What did you think I meant?” Bel turns his gaze back to his glass before Kai can answer, then looks back up at Pepper. “You forgot my cherry.”

“I would never. ” Pepper drops the little red fruit used for garnish into the glass, and glances at Kai.“You ok?”

Kai manages to nod, grateful to use his Thaijito as an excuse. “There’s a lot of extra lime in this.”

“You should also never swallow basil leaves whole,” Bel deadpans. “Or eavesdrop on private conversations.”

“It’s loud in here.” It’s a lame-ass excuse, but Kai makes it anyway.

“He’s right Bel. It's hard to have private conversations in a place like this.” Pepper turns the full dazzle of her smile on Kai.“I thought you were a VIP tonight.”

“Actually,” Kai makes an effort to sound casual. “My brother’s company is celebrating their new sponsorship so I came as a plus one. I thought I’d come say hi to you while I was here.”

Pepper raises her eyebrows. “‘Hi’? That’s all I get?”

Kai avoids her gaze. “You were busy.”

“We don’t mind being interrupted if it’s for a good reason. Your brother works for Manirat Nexus?” Bel sounds genuinely curious.

“Yeah, Jet’s the COO of ManiratInifiniteDrift.” Kai decides that since Pepper is watching, he might as well be polite, and Bel looks suitably impressed and even more curious.

“Jet Saetangmasawat is your brother?”

“Bel,” It’s not clear if Pepper is warning Bel to back off or stop teasing and Kai doesn’t really want to ask.

“Yeah,” Kai reminds himself that he is an adult, and adults do not pour Thaijito’s all over some smiling jackass’ lap just to get them to leave. “Maybe you should go ask him if they have any openings.”

“I doubt it,”Bel is laughing at him. “My brother-in-law just bought into this place, so that and his sponsorship means he won’t be spending any more money anytime soon.”

“Who’s your brother-in-law?” The question is out of Kai’s mouth before he can stop it, and Bel smiles at him.

“Kit Manirat.”

That was not the answer Kai was expecting. Pepper must have seen the look on his face, because she intervenes. “Bel is dating Kit’s younger brother. The two of them own Nightshade.”

Kai doesn't even bother to hide his stare. “Wait. You own this place?”

“Kinda,” Bel shrugs. “I worked here when it was a restaurant, and then his brother and my sister helped Kam and I buy it and turn it into a nightclub.”

“Oh,” is all Kai can think of to say.

Actually, Bel looks exactly the way Kai imagines a nightclub owner should look. His hair is styled in a way that allows the blue streaks in it to enhance, rather than distract. The black blazer he wears matches perfectly with the collared shirt worn underneath. The sleeves of the shirt are rolled up, so Kai can see the tattoo on his wrist of a snake eating its own tail. What had Jet called it? An ouroboros? His air of confidence leaves Kai in no doubt that Bel knows what he’s doing as far as running a nightclub is concerned.

He’s just—a little too young, maybe?

“You were going to say I don’t look old enough to own a nightclub, right?” Bel smiles at him.

“No,” Kai shakes his head a little more vigorously than he needs to, wishing his thoughts hadn’t shown quite so clearly on his face. Not out loud.

“Don’t worry. Apparently, all my thoughts show up on my face, too. And if it makes you feel better, you’ll be the first person who hasn’t said it out loud.” Bel looks at the full glass in Kai’s hand. “You don’t look like you need a refill.”

“Actually,” Kai slides the glass across the bar to Pepper. “I need more ice.”

Pepper smiles as she picks up Kai’s glass. “Are you trying to make this last all night?”

“I have to,” Kai says. “I can’t afford to buy more than one drink, even one without alcohol.”

“Yes, you can,” Bel’s statement sounds more casual than it should, and Kai’s eyebrows shoot up.

“Newsflash, broke uni students can’t splurge on cocktails.”

“Broke uni students can’t,” Bel agrees. “But you can. Anyone connected to Manirat Nexus is family, and that includes you. Family doesn’t pay for anything here, ever.”

Kai blinks, unsure what to say. ‘Thank you’ doesn’t seem good enough. Pepper hands him his freshly chilled Thaijito, her fingertips brushing against Kai’s, sending an electric shock up his arm. He's grateful the bar is covering the rest of his reaction. He’s never really noticed her scent before: tangy and bright, but cool and earthy at the same time, like orange and mint. An odd combination when Kai first thinks about it, but a perfectly balanced one where Pepper is concerned.

“I’d take that seriously if I were you, Kai. The Manirats don’t just adopt anybody.” Pepper winks at him, then turns back to Bel. “Now that I’ve got you your drink, I need you to your job and tell your boyfriend to tell your other bartender to stop flirting in corners and come do his job.”

“You don’t trust me to convince my employee to go back to work?” Bel raises his eyebrows.

Pepper shrugs. “Kam’s scarier than you.”

“Ouch,” Bel’s eyebrows drop back to their normal level and he casts a look of mock hurt in Pepper's direction. Pepper doesn’t look the least bit sympathetic.

“Truth hurts.”

“Did I hear my name?” Someone else slides onto the stool on the other side of Bel, slinging an arm around him. He’s dressed just a little less casually than Bel, and his rough cut hair is pulled back from his slightly predatorial face. He has an ouroboros tattoo too--Kai can see it clearly on the wrist of the arm draped around Bel. The only difference is this guy’s tat is on his right wrist while Bel’s is on the left one. “Pepper, are you hurting my boyfriend’s feelings?”

Bel glares at the newcomer. “Stop treating me like a kid, Kam.”

“But you’re so cute when you act like one,” Kam plants a kiss on top of his boyfriend’s head before turning his gaze back to Pepper. “What did you do to him?”

If he’s expecting an apology, Pepper doesn’t give it to him. “I told him the truth. You’re scary and Bel isn’t.”

“I think Bel could be scary if he wanted to.” Kai doesn’t realize he’s said the words out loud until all three heads turn toward him. He looks back down into his drink. “Sorry.”

But Bel is grinning at him. “I like you. Kam, this is Jet’s little brother, Kai.”

“Jet’s little brother,” Kam gives Kai the once over, but it’s friendly rather than critical. “That means he doesn’t pay for drinks either?”

“Is it my fault I didn’t realize you said that as a joke?” Bel squalls.

“No,” Kam deadpans. “But it is your fault that Zone overheard you taking it literally and now it’s A Thing. Adorable kid.”

Bel sticks his tongue out at him. “Annoying jackass. Ouch, now you’re hitting!”

“That one was deserved.” But Kam rubs the head that’s been smacked affectionately. “Welcome to the Manirat extended family, Kai. You’ll be part of it until you die, and possibly even after that.”

“Thanks,” Kai wants to address Kam by name, but isn’t sure they’ve been completely properly introduced yet. This has apparently also occurred to Bel, as he hurries to correct the situation.

“Kai, this is Kam, my boyfriend. He also owns Nightshade.”

Half of Nightshade,” Kam corrects him. “And only for financial purposes.”

“Are you the one who owns that classic car you won’t let anyone drive?” Kai asks him. “Zone told me about that.”

Kam’s answering smile is dry, but not condescending. “Posing with that made him very popular on IG.”

“It’s also the reason ManiratInfinateDrift was able to do that sponsorship.” Bel points out. “So don’t sulk, you look like a naked mole-rat when you do that.”

“There are worse animals to look like,” Kam winks at his boyfriend. “Naked mole-rats are kind of cute.”

“We are not getting a naked mole-rat.” The look on Bel’s face makes it clear the two of them have had this conversation before. "They're creepy."

“ManiratInfinateDrift’s sponsorship would explain why there’s so many people here tonight,” Pepper puts in, guiding the conversation back to where it should be before Kam can launch into an explanation of the merits of naked mole-rats. “Which is why I need Luca over here behind the bar and not seeking out his next nightly conquest.”

“Is that what you were asking Bel to do?” Kam asks. “Yell at Luca to get back to work?”

“Actually,” Kai corrects him. “Pepper was going to ask you to do it.”

He’s not sure why he doesn’t feel left out of the conversation but sitting here listening to the other three banter makes him feel better than anything else tonight.

“See, that makes more sense,” Kam looks extremely satisfied by Kai’s revelation. “Bel couldn’t yell at anyone if his life depended on it. Ow, why did you hit me?”

“You’re lucky that was your arm, not your mouth.” Bel’s expression walks a fine line between apology and mockery as he picks up his drink. “And I didn't really hit you all that hard. I wish I could help you out, Pepper, but I can’t. It’s Luca’s night off. He’s here as a patron, not an employee.”

“We could call Em,” Kam offers, already pulling out his phone.

“Who’s Em?” Kai asks.

“Friend of mine. She used to work here.” Bel informs him, then turns his head so that Kam is included in the rest of his sentence. “But she works full time at the hospital now so she’s probably not available.”

Kam puts his phone back in his pocket. “She’ll be here in about fifteen minutes if the traffic’s good. ”

“I can help until she comes,” Kai offers. “I mean, I can't mix cocktails, but I can do other stuff. You don't have to pay me, and I don't have anywhere else to be tonight.”

“Thank you,” Pepper blows him a kiss. “I’ll take whatever help I can get.”

“How did Em suddenly become available?” Bel asks as Kai moves to the employee side of the bar.

“It’s her day off,” Kam says. “And Talay’s still at the gym, so she’s free.”

“Talay Nathas?” Kai is feeling more and more comfortable inserting himself into the conversation. Both Kam and Bel give him identical looks of surprise.

“You know Talay?” It’s Kam who asks the question.

“He’s my Muay Thai trainer,” Kai confirms. “Is that the right word to use?”

Bel nods, but Kai’s pretty sure it’s not just in answer to his question. “His sister Iris is dating Zone, so that makes him an adoptive Manirat too.”

“Adoptive for now,” Kam adds. “She could be an official sister-in-law soon, if she and Zone both get their way.”

"So she gets free drinks too?" The size of the Manirat extended family is making Kai’s head spin. He knows it’s not the Thaijito because it’s alcohol free. “What about Luca?”

“What about me?” Luca joins them at the bar, raising his eyebrows when he sees Kai behind it. “And did I hear something about free drinks?”

Rather than the shirt, vest and slacks that Kai usually sees him in, the clothes Luca is wearing shimmer like silk. Actually, they probably are silk. His hair is styled differently too, loosely framing his face instead of combed back. There’s even a single silver hoop in each ear that--to the best of Kai’s knowledge--Luca has never worn when tending bar. Studs, yes, but not hoops. They suit him.

“Free only to members of the Manirat family,” Kam corrects him. “Which you do not belong to.”

“Fair enough,” Luca shrugs. “I came over to talk to Kai anyway.”

Kai gives him a wary look. “Why?”

“I have a question for you. Who,” Luca jerks his head toward one of the darker corners of the room. “Is that?”

Kai glances over his shoulder. Jet has also left the VIP section and is now leaning against the wall in the corner opposite the bar. “My older brother.”

“The ‘asshole’?” Luca looks far too interested. “Or are you going to call him by his proper name now? What is it by the way?”

“Jet,” If Kai notices the expression on Luca’s face, he doesn’t comment. “He still thinks he needs to look after me.”

“I’d be happy to look after him. Is he single?” Luca’s lips curve up like he already knows the answer.

Bel chokes on his cocktail. Kam bites his lips to keep from sniggering, though whether it’s at Bel’s reaction or Luca’s question, Kai isn’t sure. Pepper’s eyebrows shoot up to her hairline as she says what they’re all thinking.

“Are you?”

“I won’t be by the end of the night.” Luca winks at her. “Besides, I want to see how much of an ‘asshole’ this brother of Kai’s actually is.”

Luca saunters over to the corner of the room, a smoldering gaze fixed on Jet. There is no reaction, not even a change of color on the older man’s cheeks. He stays where he is, against the wall, glass in hand, waiting for Luca to come to him.

Luca has always liked a challenge.

“Nightclubs aren’t usually places to be antisocial.”

Jet turns his gaze onto Luca, the deliberately slow movement of his head making it clear how he feels about the interruption. “That depends.”

“On the nightclub?”

“On your definition of ‘antisocial’.” Jet’s tone is a signal that he wants to be left alone.

“Well, Luca’s here to redefine it for you,” Luca says by way of introduction, having no intention of leaving. “And I’d say it’s the best decision I’ve made all night, because trust me, you’ll be thanking me for this redefinition.”

“I’m assuming this ‘Luca’ that you’re referring to is you.” Jet raises an eyebrow. “And what’s your grand plan for this ‘redefined night’?”

“For starters,” Luca is so close their noses are almost touching. “Why don’t we rewrite the rules, starting with the chemistry between us?”

Instead of reacting the way Luca expects, Jet shakes his head. “You really know how to lay it on thick, don't you?”

Luca leans in. “Only for someone as intriguing as you…Jet. I sense a magnetic force between us. Call it a gravitational pull.”

Now both Jet’s eyebrows are up. “Gravitational pull, huh? That's a new one.”

Luca's fingers trace a teasing pattern along Jet's arm. “New is exciting, don't you think? Tell me, what secrets are hidden behind those guarded eyes?”

The air crackles with tension as Luca waits for Jet's response. Now it’s Jet’s hand that moves, but instead of pushing Luca away, Jet pulls him closer.

“You really want to know?” Jet's eyes begin to glitter, though whether it’s with annoyance or interest, Luca isn’t sure.

“You don’t have to tell me all of your secrets,” Luca’s breath is stirring the fine hairs on the back of Jet’s neck. “One will do for now.”

Jet’s touch becomes more deliberate, the tips of his fingers making a sensuous path along the lines of Luca’s face. Luca’s breath hitches in spite of himself as the taller man’s breath traces up and down the line of his jaw, creating a trail of warmth. Clearly, both of them know how this game works. Jet smiles, allowing Luca’s anticipation to build just enough before murmuring in his ear.

“You really want to know one of my secrets?”

Luca can only nod as Jet's lips graze his earlobe.

“I prefer genuine conversations over cheesy lines.”

Luca blinks.

Jet salutes him with his glass and turns away. Luca’s hand shoots out, wrapping around Jet’s wrist. He can feel the uptick in Jet’s pulse through his fingertips, and doesn’t bother to suppress his grin.

Pulses never lie.

“You think you can get away from me that easily?”

Apparently, he can. One flick of Jet’s wrist and Luca’s fingers are grasping empty air. But that’s not the impressive part. The impressive part is that Jet’s glass is still full. Not one drop spilled.

“I’m not that easily swayed.” Jet shifts completely out of Luca’s reach.

The movement sends the aroma of freshly brewed coffee into Luca’s nostrils, and he glances down at the dark liquid in Jet’s glass. “Black Russian, not Sex on the Beach?”

The look on Jet’s face as he lowers himself into one of the plush chairs makes it clear Luca’s second attempt at flirtation has also fallen flat on its ass. “Why do you ask?”

Luca is still smiling. “I’m just glad I know your cocktail of choice. Now I just need to know your coffee order, favorite breakfast, maybe your LINE ID—”

“Look,” Jet looks up into Luca’s face. Something about the younger man’s smile is definitely doing something to his heart rate and Jet isn’t sure if he likes it or not. He tips his glass back, and his mouth tingles on the first swallow, but his tongue savors the caramel taste of the coffee liqueur on the second. By the third, the vodka is sending a relieving warmth through his bloodstream, allowing his muscles to relax for the first time tonight.

Also, the glass is now half empty, which means he’ll need another one soon.

“If you really want to converse, then take a seat. Otherwise, go away.”

Luca sits down, propping his elbows against his knees so he can be as close to Jet as possible. Jet’s eyebrows shoot up, the hitch of his breath betraying more than just the effects of alcohol.

Luca’s black eyes gleam as they meet Jet’s. “Where else am I going to go?”

Challenge accepted.

Across the room, Kit raises an eyebrow at his younger brother and his younger brother’s boyfriend. “Are you two playing matchmaker or something?”

“It was Kam’s idea,” Bel sounds defensive, but he’s grinning like an idiot. “So get mad at your brother, not me.”

“Who says I’m mad?”

“You do the Cocked Eyebrow Thing when you’re mad,” Bel tries to imitate Kit’s facial expression but ends up raising both eyebrows instead. “Or when you’re being sarcastic, or annoyed, or…actually, you do that most of the time you talk.”

“It’s not just about playing matchmaker.” Kam says, before his older brother’s brow can shoot up into his hairline. “Luca has information Jet will find very interesting.”

Kit’s eyebrow still rises.“Such as?”

“Information for Jet’s ears, not yours."

"18. Insight

Read from beginning "1. Ignored
© Copyright 2024 aracrae (aracrae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319399-17-Extended-Family