*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319541-Freedoms-Song
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by cowboy
Rated: E · Fiction · Legal · #2319541
Julia leaves juvenile justice after three years of dentention
Prologue
The United Express flight landed in Burlington just after noon
Julia looked out the window. This was her first return to Vermont in three years.
Those years had been spent at the Whitecrest facility outside Denver.
Julia and her caseworker disembarked from the RJ. Inside the airport things were quiet as travelers came and went. A few minutes later the case manager was guiding her Subaru onto I89 heading toward Barre.
Julia watched the world go by
The scene changed Julia sat in the conference room. The day she had waited for had arrived. Three years at Whitecrest. She had been charged as a juvenile in Vermont for assaulting her foster mother. As part of the disposition of the case the judge had ordered a status conference to determine if a transfer to adult court would be warranted. It was now one two days before her 18th birthday. Julie had done well with her time at Whitecrest graduating high school.
The unit director of the Evergreen united smiled on as Julia was signing paperwork that would release her from Whitecrest. “Good luck Julia.” the Director had said.
Everyone on the unit had been supportive and happy as Julia was leaving .
A van had taken Julia to an airport hotel where her DCF case manager met her.
Julie felt light stop.
Minutes later they were in the Family Court Room on the second floor in Barre.

The judge was polite and brought the proceeding to order.
“I understand the state has decided to to not pursue a transfer to adult court by its motion?”
The state’s attorney stood and spoke, “That's the correct judge.”
The judge looked over at Julia’s caseworker “Ms Wallace?”
Wallace stood “Your Honor the Department supports this motion with no objection. As you can see in my report Julia has done well.”
The judge looked at the defense table “Mr Henderson?”
Jula’s lawyer who had represented her three years before.
“Judge I am very excited about Julia’s progress it has been quite a change from three years ago

The judge spoke “Ms Washburn you have come a long way according to these reports. I wish to note the law has changed since you were last here and plays a large part in the state’s action today. Although I do have the option to continue your case to 22 it appears that won’t be needed here.
It looks like you have college lined up starting next week?
Julia spoke softly “Yes your honor.”
Julia’s Guardian-ad litem was addressed next “Ms Goldwater?”
“Judge I see no issues with this and it is a great turn of events.”
The judge spoke “Very well the court grants the state’s motion and will consider this matter resolved. Good luck Ms Washburn.”


© Copyright 2024 cowboy (zhughes05 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319541-Freedoms-Song