*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319582-Family-Fun
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #2319582
You've got to do things together if you're a family. Words: 583
"It'll be fun, during your holidays this merry month of May ..."

Vishal and Sapna glanced at each other with raised eyebrows. If there's one thing teenagers know, it's that when their Dad says something is going ot be fun, they better look for a way to worm out of it quickly.

"There's a heatwave on, Dad," Sapna interrupted him, hoping to preempt any suggestion of walks or cycling expeditions.

"And the cicadas are particularly noisy this year," Vishal added hastily, remembering the last time their Dad had tried to get the family to 'orchestrate' in harmony.

Dad looked a little hurt. "They didn't even let me finish," he complained to Mom.

Mom wanted to be loyal to her husband, but she was a fair-minded, just person.

"Well, darling, the last time you said something would be fun, we all wound up waking up at dawn to go out in Maitrayi's little boat, and – nobody needs to be reminded of the end of the story, that time."

Brother and sister shuddered. Tadpoles are nice to look at, but aren't nice in your socks and underwear. Especially not when you have the said socks and underwear on and they're wet through. That was the end of the story that Mom was referring to.

"But honey, I was only going to suggest something you've been saying also," Dad pleaded.

It was Mom's turn to raise her eyebrows. This was the biggie. When Dad tried to imply her collusion in his mad plans, everyone had better be out of there quick.

"Okay, okay, I'll come out with it," Dad blurted. "I was going to suggest teaching the kids to cook. They'll be living by themselves when they go to university and a few cooking classes never hurt."

"Every time Vishal goes into the kitchen, he raids the cookie jar, like any silly first grader," Sapna stated. "And we all know too many cooks spoil the broth and too many cookies spoil the brother."

"Ha ha funny joke," Vishal began – and then – "but wait, I do eat too many cookies when I'm in the kitchen and so I must not go in there, it isn't healthy."

When Mom said something in 'that' tone of voice, it was decided, and she now said, "I think it's a fabulous idea. Let's make it a family fun thing. Dad and I are both working from home today, so let's begin by cooking a family brunch right now."

Vishal and Sapna didn't even bother to say "BUT". Mom's tone of voce was Mom's tone of voice.

(Forty minutes later)

"Hey, I wanted the sofa, don't lie down on the sofa!"

"You can't lie down on the sofa, you'll get jam all over it. Go change your shirt."

"It's your fault I got jam on my shirt."

"Yours. You didn't want to wear an apron."

"Boys don't wear aprons."

"The biggest chefs wear aprons, dear. Now do go upstairs and have a soak in the tub. There's flour in your hair and something on your trousers that I don't want to see as a permanent stain."

"You're letting her lie on the couch, but the apron didn't protect her back!"

"Sapna, what have you - SAPNA, get off this couch this instant."

"Here's Dad out at last. Did you get the flood under control, Dad?"

"Yes, but now I need a band-aid. Honey, you got a band-aid?"

"Here's a band-aid. And let's count our blessings."

"Which are?"

"There were no tadpoles involved this time."
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI Now What? (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319582-Family-Fun