*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319926-Star-Gazing
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2319926
Flash Fiction - Using "Did you see that?"
Night had already fallen when Aubrey and Dan returned to the car from the day of hiking. They had seen the beauty of mother nature first hand, from giant spire like trees to cascading waterfalls. Even the different colourful bugs filled them with joy throughout the day.

Dan unlocked the car and the pair clambered in. The car park for the trail over looked the city below, allowing the stars to twinkle in the night sky, far away from the artificial lights of the city. Dan smiled at Aubrey, she smiled back. He put the key into the ignition, twisting the key. The car chugged and spluttered as Dan turned it over but the car didn't start. He tried again, with the same result. The battery was dead.

Dan sighed. "Looks like we aren't going anywhere."

Aubrey opened her door. "That's OK, I wanted to look at the stars for the little longer anyway."

She got out of the car, scurrying onto the bonnet. Dan chuckled to himself, pulled out his phone and sent a quick text to his friend to come rescue them with some jump cables. Once the message was sent he too got out of the car and onto the bonnet, putting his arm over Aubrey.

The stars where brighter than he had ever seen them before in his life, at this point nature was showing off to him. "Could this day get any better?" He thought.

Aubrey's arm flew up, her finger pointing to the sky. "Did you see that? A shooting star!"

Dan's eyes darted to where she was pointing, catching the end trails. "Amazing." He delighted, the day had indeed got better.
© Copyright 2024 M.Galliers (gatmalliers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319926-Star-Gazing