*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320035-The-Forgotten-Bunny
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fanfiction · #2320035
A bunny finds acceptance and peace in an unlikely place.


The Forgotten Bunny

Once upon a time, in a small and cozy forest, there lived a sweet little bunny named Calypso. Calypso was a bundle of soft, fluffy, calico fur with the most adorable floppy ears that could capture anyone's heart. However, life hadn't been kind to her. In fact, it had been just the opposite.
Calypso had a life filled with bad people and impossible circumstances. But she also had a great mental strength that allowed her to endure and to keep her hope and compassion for other people regardless of how she had been treated. Her life had been a whirlwind of hard work, little satisfaction or enjoyment and constant bad luck.

Calypso had always been treated poorly by the other forest animals. She never truly understood why. She felt that it had to be the fact that she looked different. She was the only calico-colored bunny in that part of the forest. She had no siblings and her mom and dad were both white bunnies with no other colors on them.
They would taunt him, making fun of her small size and delicate nature. It seemed as though he couldn't find a place where she truly belonged. Day after day, she would hop around, desperately seeking acceptance and companionship, but all she encountered were cruel sneers and hurtful words. No one wanted to talk to her or take the time to know her. Everyone seemed to have their own group that they fit into except for Calypso.

Even the lush green meadows and tall trees that provided solace to the other creatures seemed unwelcoming to Benjamin Calypso. She often found himself excluded from their gatherings, watching from a distance as the animals played and laughed together. This loneliness weighed heavy on her tiny heart, leaving her feeling invisible and unloved.

The forest was teeming with vibrant life, but Calypso's world felt gray and somber. She longed for a friend who would understand her, who would appreciate her gentle nature and see the beauty in her soul. But the more she yearned for companionship, the deeper she sank into a sense of despair.

One fateful day, while exploring a hidden corner of the forest, Calypso stumbled upon a peculiar sight. It was a tiny abandoned burrow nestled under a drooping willow tree. Curiosity filled her eyes as she hopped closer to investigate. Inside she found a small patch of moss and a worn-out blanket, as if someone had once called it home.

As Benjamin sat there, contemplating the forgotten burrow, a glimmer of hope flickered in her heart. Maybe, just maybe, this forgotten place could become her sanctuary—a refuge where she could heal from the wounds inflicted by a world that didn't understand him. With newfound determination, Calypso decided to make this burrow her own, a place where she could rebuild her shattered confidence and find the strength to face the challenges that lay ahead.

Little did Calypso know that this humble burrow would become the starting point of an extraordinary adventure—a journey of self-discovery, resilience, and the transformative power of compassion. As she settled into his newfound sanctuary, the mistreated bunny began to realize that within him resided a strength that would shine brighter than anyone could have ever imagined.

She was busy building the area up and preparing it to be her new homestead when another bunny hopped up from out of nowhere. Calypso was started. "Oh my! Is this your home? I am so sorry, I thought it was abandoned. I didn't meant to take over any else's area. Please forgive me."
She looked up to see a bunny, a little bigger than herself, who was also covered in different color patches. Her patches were black, brown, orange and tan and she had the cutest freckles that Calypso had ever seen. Her mouth dropped open for a moment in awe.
"Hi, I didn't mean to scare you. I don't live here anymore, I just came back to get my blanket. My name is Gem, like the jewels. It's a nice place to stay, but I found an area closer to beautiful, wild garden. I decided to move there a couple of days ago."
"I see. Well, here is your blanket. "Calypso handed it to her with a friendly smile.
Gem looked at her with a confused expression. "I didn't know there were others like me around here."
"Actually, I'm just as surprised to see you. They are not exactly fans of calico bunnies where I'm from. "she said sadly. Her fluffy ears fell down over her eyes as she fought back the tears.
"I understand. I have had the same troubles. Hey, I'm not far from here. Maybe we can go and pick berries one day or explore the new area. I don't really have any friends." Gem said shyly.
"Me either. I'd love that!"
In the weeks that followed, Calypso and Gem had become great friends. Calypso had moved to the new area that Gem had found and other bunnies moved there shortly afterwards. It was a community of diversity and growth. There were different types of bunnies and each one contributed something special to the group. Whether it be the qualities they had or the things that they could do. Everyone was special and appreciated.
One day, Gem, Calypso and two other bunnies decided to go back to their old homes to see their families and bring them some of fruit that grew so plentiful in the new area. Once they reached their old homes, the bunnies there were amazed and the same ones that treated Calypso so terribly were begging to talk to her and following them around. Someone even said 'I'm sorry for the way I treated you when you were here.'
Being the sweet bunny that she was, still with kindness and compassion in her heart, she didn't say anything negative to them. She simply expressed how good it was to see everyone and said her goodbyes. She felt such satisfaction in her heart. She hopped back down the path with her new friends and finally she felt like a special bunny indeed.












© Copyright 2024 Tappestry (tappestry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320035-The-Forgotten-Bunny