*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320124-The-Secret
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2320124
Flash Fiction
The Secret

“Shh shh! Don’t let the kids know were talking to each other!”

Mom looked at Dad, confused, “Why not?”

“They’re making a surprise for us.”

“What kind of surprise? You mean tricks? They’re playing a trick on us.”

“No, they’re making a surprise. I think they’re trying to surprise us. I just overheard them talking and Jeff was telling Andy to be quiet so we wouldn’t hear the plan!”

“Did you hear the plan?”

“Not exactly. I heard that, and then Jeff was giving Andy instructions as to what his part would be, but whispering. They’re planning something that they will do while we’re at the hardware store.”

“How did they know we were going to the hardware store?”

“I told Jeff he would be in charge of Andy for about half an hour while you and I went to the hardware store.”

“Oh. So, nothing else? Why do you think it’s a surprise?”

“Jeff told Andy he had to be really careful that we didn’t know.”

“Know what?”

“I don’t know, I guess we’ll find out when it happens!”

After the hardware run was done Mom and Dad waited, trying not to seem excited. They waited and waited. Finally, they had to let the kids go to bed.

“Well, maybe it’s for tomorrow…” Mom said. “Do you want some cookies and milk while we watch the movie? I hid them on the top shelf of the pantry so the kids wouldn’t see them.”

“Sure!”

She came back with the cookie jar, it was empty, “I think I know now what the big secret was…”
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320124-The-Secret