*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320131-i-dont-know
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2320131
writting cramp entry
I don't know how I know, but I do know beyond any doubt. this place is going to be destroyed. not just destroyed more like erased, obliterated. just me and this guy. a kid really by the looks of him. scared kid. babbling something. I don't know the language. I don't have to know he is freaking out just like me. one look out of the broken window and it is a sure thing. shit has hit the fan. cars on their side, fires everywhere. holes in buildings gaping dark places billowing smoke and foul odors. the smell of burnt metal, and dust. along with the coopery smell of way too much blood.
Looking back inside is no better. People or they used to be now more like shredded flesh amid broken bones laying in heaps of smashed tables and chairs. both of us panting like we have run a long way. I don't know where from. I do know we cannot stay here even one more minute.
He is wide eyed staring at me. I am trying to use my hands pointing to myself I say. "My name is Sam." I say again poking myself in the chest. I tilt my head and ask. "Who are you?" pointing at him. "Can you understand any of what I say?" he is shaking his head no. well at least we both know language is not going to be how we communicate. "I've got to start somewhere," I say to myself. "This place is not safe. I am making waving motions with my hands hoping he understands I mean this whole area. I point outside and stand. "We need to run!" I shout at him pointing at him and then to myself. "We need to go now!" an explosion down the street out of sight. the force is enough to shake the building. More metal and ceiling tile fall. A light fixture swings loose flinging sparks, as it crashes to the floor spreading more glass and pieces of metal to the fray. He screams the sound of a child. terrified more than me if that is at all possible.
I walk over to where he is huddled behind an overturned seating booth. I can breathe a little better now. must be catching my breath. still using my hands, I smile. thinking this guy probably thinks I'm a nut case, standing in front of him flapping around like a chicken. I Guess the smile worked. I motion for him to stand and come to me. He hesitates. I wait. the last thing this kid needs is me shouting at him again. I motion again repeating my name and pointing outside. he shakes his head like he doesn't want to follow me. He finally stands up but looks as if he has not decided to follow me or run away as fast as he can. I smile and hold out one hand. I try to look reassuring not sure I am pulling it off. inside my nerves are jelly I want to hide as bad as him. I'm pretty sure he can see that much. "We have to get out of this building. More arm flapping. Ok now I'm sure he thinks I'm off my rocker.
I keep motioning with my hands, all the while backing slowly towards what used to be the doorway. he follows me but stays just out of arms reach. "Thats it kid just a few more steps and we can be free of the wreckage and get out of this area, come on now you got it." He smiles. I smile back. I want to ask him a million questions, like; how did you get here? What is your name? Do you have any idea what did this? or what is happening? I realize there is no point in trying to do more than get him to a safer place for the moment. I continue with my hand motions and smiling trying to look a calm I do not feel. Each step he takes gives me a little more confidence I may be communicating with him. He keeps on smiling and jabbering away now. We make it to the door. his smile starts to disappear. I keep mine up knowing we are out of time. I lounge forward and grab his forearm and yank him over the threshold backing my way onto the sidewalk. I keep ahold of him until I think he will not bolt back inside. I back into an open spot and let him go. He stands frozen in the middle of the sidewalk. I motion for him to follow and turn around to see where we are going. another deep boom. still a ways off, but enough to cause more shaking. He runs to me and probably saves us both by pushing me completely out into the street. The shaking is accompanied by crumbling concrete and moaning steel. I nod and thank him with a prayer sign with my hands. I take a knee as the food place we had just left disappears in a dust cloud under the two stories of building above it. He wraps his arms around my head and remains standing until the noise stops and I open my eyes to the pile of rubble nearly at our feet. I stand again and we walk as fast as we can toward what I hope is a safer area. the light looks brighter this way, and we continue him holding on tight to my forearm. I can't tell who is holding up who, but I am grateful for the company. I look his way and smile. He smiles back a genuine look of relief comes across his face as he looks past me over my shoulder. I turn to see the outline of what looks like barricades. someone is waving a flashlight in our direction. We wave back in unison. Both of us shouting now each in our own language and laughing. We stumble arm in arm to the light. The last thing i remember is him smiling at me, just before I pass out.
I awake much later in a hospital bed. grateful to be alive and thinking smiles and hand signals worked as well as any language could have at the time. I wonder what ever happened to the kid.
approximately 1000 words
© Copyright 2024 markmore (writingmarks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320131-i-dont-know