*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320147-Dead-Meat
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #2320147
Guardian Sheepdog Protects His Flock
297 words

Mosey sauntered up to Guardian, trying not to create a disturbance or catch the Shepherd’s attention.

Guardian growled a warning. “I’m on duty here Mosey. Get back with your sheep friends. We don’t play on the same team.”

“Easy, Guardian. I get that, but your job is to protect the flock, right?”

“You know it is. I would die for any of you….even you Mosey.” Guardian’s lip curled away from his fangs in disgust.

“Then you need to listen. I think we are in danger but not from the wolves. I think it’s the Shepherd and his drunken friends. They’re playing a trick on us. It says Mutton Farms on the side of their truck.”

“So….?”

“Mutton means dead meat.” Guardian stiffened.

“This flock doesn’t belong to that Shepherd. He wouldn’t dare sell you off to a slaughterhouse. He’s not stupid.”

“He’s out of beer money. You’re about out of kibbles.”

Mosey nibbled on a juicy sprig of grass, while the massive dog cogitated on his duties.

That night the party was on. The three guest Shepherds were loud and aggressive. Guardian could see his own Shepherd seemed nervous, agitated. When Guardian sees that body language in his flock, he knows; the wolves are near.

Next morning the Shepherd leads Annabelle (with the bell) into the truck first, knowing the rest will follow. Annabelle was almost at the ramp.

Mosey casts Guardian a ‘terrified’ look and Guardian makes his decision.

It’s death for him either way. Attack the flock or lose the flock!

Snarling, he charges Annabelle. She flees in terror out across the field. Every animal runs.

“They’re gone ! Where’s the money we fronted you Shepherd? Pay up, now!”

Guardian hears Shepherd’s screams and his tongue salivates. Will the replacement Shepherd buy him a bone?
© Copyright 2024 Magnolia (magnolia8 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320147-Dead-Meat