*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320382-Sideways
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2320382
Too many crooks in the kitchen...


As with any plan this one had started out simple.

A champion comes to town, passing through in the name of the Lady Alouette, in possession of a charmed talisman capable of summoning beasts he meant to claim in her honour. Steal the talisman. Get paid. Get out.

But, as with any plan, it went sideways.

Amin watched from across the crowded tavern as a young man had pinched the prize.

Opening up that boy and leaving him in the shadows had been a necessary evil and Amin was sure that it hadn't even been the worst thing to have been done in Verbosh tonight.

Tiny bundle in hand, he picked his way along the darkened shit-spattered alleys and foreboding stone walls of the city that, as much as he hated it, seemed to keep him coming back time and again. It was as if he was chained to it.

This was his big break. If it went well, nothing would stop him from getting out this time.

Stupid kid, he thought. Why did you have to go and take this one?

A few more blocks to the gate, a doff of his hat to the sentries and off he was on his new life.

"Hey, You. Where are you off to?" One of the soldiers gave Amin the once over and raised a brow. "Is that blood?"

Damn. Amin slowly reached under his cloak for the pistol he hadn't wanted to use.

This one had started out so simple.





© Copyright 2024 Kyle Curcio (curcio at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320382-Sideways