*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320463-Afar-Off
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2320463
Winner! Daily Flash Fiction 5/19/24


“Afar off - over the misty hill - lies a land. Nobody goes there. It’s a land of forgotten dreams and wishes. A land of woe-begotten time nevermore.”

Mary stopped. She took a deep breath. Then she looked over that far off hill.

George stood up. He tried to look over that hill.

“What about your dreams and wishes?”

“I don't have wishes anymore. I'm too old.”

“No you're not grandma. You're not too old.”

“How old do you think I am?”

“You’re not too old!”
“Let me tell you some of my dreams and wishes. When I was your age, I dreamt I would go over across that hill. I dreamt I would be the queen of that land. I dreamt I would have a wonderful life. I dreamt I would have a wonderful family. I dreamt I would own a million horses.”

“But grandma you have me. You have Jill. You have Mom and Dad and you have one horse, one cow, one dog, and one cat. Isn't that enough?

“Yes, George, that is enough. Sometimes what we wish is not what we need. We don't go to that land of forgotten dreams and wishes. We just visit there sometimes but we always come home.”

W/C 205

© Copyright 2024 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320463-Afar-Off