*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320506-An-Uncertain-Marriage
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ebony
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2320506
Iris was declared to be married to man she never met. William was forced to take a bride.


CHAPTER 1

Awaking that morning would be the easiest part of the day. The simple act of sitting up while her mother drew the curtains in her room, rushing around in a flutter. This was not unusual behaviour for her mother however on this particular morning it was certainly warranted. For today was the day Iris would be married.

Iris had imagined this day since she was a child, seeing how happy her parents were growing up. How loving and caring their marriage was, made her long for something, equally fulfilling for herself; however, today's events were not how she had imagined her wedding to be. Iris laid in bed picturing what she wished today would bring despite knowing it would not be the case. She imagined walking down an aisle where white rose petals were strewn strategically across the floor, white roses would adorn her hair and bouquet and her handsome soon-to-be husband waiting at the end of the walk. He would smile at her and she would return that gleeful smile, as she would know she would be marrying the man she loved.

This idea had been recently damned. One month prior to this very morning to be precise when her father sat her down at the family table whilst their remaining maid served the evening meal.

“I have some news Iris, I expect this to be received with a joyous reaction.” Her fathers usual smiling face had been wrinkled with stress and age over the last two years. He looked across at her mother and willed a smile onto his face. “You are to be married, Iris.” Her mothers audible gasp received a sharp look from her father before she composed herself and plastered a grim smile onto her face.

“Forgive me Father, I do not believe I have yet had the opportunity to court anyone. The season has only just started and I-” Iris stopped herself when she realised. The dwindling staff on the estate, the meal sizes gradually getting smaller and her mothers insistence they did not need to head into town for new gowns. Iris looked to her mother, who avoided eye contact with her and occasionally threw pleading glances towards her father. Iris understood. Her father had arranged for her to be married in an attempt to save her from the family's obvious financial misfortune. She cleared her throat, plastered a smile on her face and nodded. “That is certainly wonderful news, may I ask who this gentleman would be?”

“It appears as though the Duke of Breddard was in search of a wife to manage his estate whilst he travels. He is well respected and has the means to ensure you shall live comfortably.” His smile did not reach his eyes, he knew this is not what Iris envisioned for herself and if he had any other options for securing her future, he certainly would have considered them.

The meal was short after this brief conversation. Iris excused herself from the meal and padded out to the front of the estate where she inhaled deep breaths. A single tear slid down her cheek. This was a sacrifice she had to make for herself, her family. She looked up at the endless night and said a silent farewell to the imaginary future she had crafted in her head for herself. The loving husband she would accost with an embrace whilst he worked in his study. Their children running through the luscious green field of her family estate, the children they would tuck into bed each night and fare off any potential nightmares with fairytales at bedtime. She wished the whole fantasy well, it was another life for another person.

Iris lay in bed remembering the very moment today's events were announced to her and the fast weeks that followed, full of frantic wedding preparations. Her mothers occasional apologetic glances amid the fussing. All leading up to today. Now.

“Iris dear, come now. There is much to prepare before the ceremony. We have to arrange your hair and gown and .. oh gosh the flowers!” She ushered to the maid who was passing by the bedroom door and rushed out in a discussion regarding flower arrangements. At least that would be how she planned. Their family had been given full control over the wedding day and any decorative choices were theirs. White roses. That was all she had asked for. Everything else her mother had taken care of.

Iris sighed and sat up out of bed. Her nightgown was pale blue which she had always been told complimented her tanned skin. Her dark, tight curls cascaded down her back. She had always loved her hair but her mother insisted it needed to be tamed and always threw it up in some elaborate hairstyle. She could only imagine what chaotic mess her mother would be decorating her head with today. She loved her mother, she was kind and thoughtful but she could never understand her mothers fascination with the horrendous styles she insisted Iris style her hair with. A small smile kissed her lips at the thought of all the options her mother could possibly have planned for today.

Six hours later, after all the planned garments, jewels and make up had been applied she sat down in front of her vanity and awaited her mother to begin the process of styling her hair. She always hated the end result but absolutely adored the process. To her surprise her mother pulled her hair into a very simple style where a majority of her hair was left down. A crown of white roses was instead placed upon her head and a simple smile was exchanged between the pair.

“Will there be no headdress today?” Iris quizzed, confused that her mother would pass up such an opportuinity.

“I have made many mistakes in life Iris but stealing away from your beauty on your wedding day will not be one of them” Her delicate hands ran through the hair that had been left unstyled as she walked around and knelt in front of Iris. “ Please forgive your Father if this all turns out to be a mistake, he is only thinking of what is best for you. I understand the Duke is around your age and wishes to be travelling much. This is not the life you envisioned” Her mother began to cry as she cupped Iris’s face in her hands.

“Father has all the best intentions, this I know. That is all that matters. If a life where I can tend the gardens and read peacefully is what I am to do. Then that is what I shall enjoy. I only hope one day there will be children to give me some company” Iris stood and walked to the floor length mirror in the corner of her room and began to look over her gown.

It was a shade of pure white she had never seen. It was as if the colour of the clouds on a bright day had been sampled and placed into the very threads of the gown. Her dark hair in contrast to the dress fell to her hips in tight curls. The corset was tight around her waist before the laces of the skirt devoured her legs and feet. Iris palmed the skirts in an attempt to pat down the large skirt. She did look beautiful. Still, she had no idea who she would meet at the other end of the aisle.

If he was so eligible, why had he not yet been married. Mothers would have been throwing their daughters at him. Was he beastly? Or ill mannered? She did not know. Not that it mattered as she had no choice in the matter. As she stood behind the great doors of the church arm in arm with her father she wondered if this would be the end of small enjoyments. If she was now to be forced to live with someone who was uninterested in her. If he would ignore her and she would be lonely. If he indeed, would likely never be home and she would have to endure a life of solitude. No children. No love. No happy life she had envisioned as a child. No replica of her parents' marriage before the misfortunes occured.

These thoughts were all cut short as the organ began playing. The heavy church doors creaked open. She took a deep breath, eyes fixed forward as she began to walk down the aisle. Towards a future she was so uncertain of.



CHAPTER 2


Iris took slow steps down the aisle, her father practically pulling her along. She did not dare look up and see the man she was to spend her life with. A man she had never met or knew anything about. Eyes on the floor, Iris counted the rose petals scattering the red rug. She let the scent fill her nose, overwhelming all other senses. At least she had the roses. Her father’s light squeeze on her upper arm told her she had reached the end of the aisle and she forced her gaze upwards to look upon this stranger.

Iris was stunned for a moment. Her mouth dried as her eyes met with his. They were a stunning shade of blue, like an entire ocean was kept within them. Swimming amongst the creatures, grey flecks speckled his irises and shimmered like scales. She allowed her eyes to take in the rest of his features, his fair skin and strong nose. His dark beard that carrassed his features was clearly very recently trimmed and tidied for the occasion. She wondered if he, too, had been nervous about their first meeting.

He took her hand from her fathers hold, lightly lifting her fingers to his mouth and laying a whisper of a kiss upon her fingertips before smiling up at her making his eyes crease at the edges and her knees felt a little more unstable. So he was handsome, at least there was that. So handsome in fact, she could not focus on the rest of the ceremony. Only his vows brought her back into reality.

“Iris, I know we have not known each other long but I am stunned by your beauty and I only hope I can bring you all the happiness in the world. As long as the sun shines in the sky and the stars kiss the night sky I promise to bring only love and devotion to you.” He spoke with a voice that commanded the room and such surety for a man who did not know her. Had he decided on these words the night before or did seeing her truly spark something in him. She did not know. She returned his kind words with a timid smile and nodded lightly. She had not thought of what she would say in this moment and could not get her brain to think of two sentences let alone a vow. She repeated the Vicars verse from his book and felt embarrassed she had not prepared anything for this moment.

The ceremony ended with the Duke kissing her gently on her cheek, his beard scratching her face as she inhaled his scent. He smelt of roses and fresh grass. She was almost disappointed there appeared to be nothing untoward about him on their first meeting. Perhaps her future was not damned, if his words spoke true perhaps she could have the marriage she had always dreamed of and be extremely happy with him. He held her hand as they exited the church and petals were thrown over them. She could not help it. She let a grin overcome her face as she looked towards her mother who was crying and smiling. ‘I love you’ she mouthed at Iris. Iris returned the gesture and quickly looked towards her now husband, a simple question in her eyes. He smiled down at her and nodded.

She ran to her mother and fell into her embrace. Allowing her mothers warmth to fill her body, she felt her fathers strong arms wrap around her shoulders as he too held her from the side.

“I feel foolish Mother, for thinking he could be a beast.” She turned to her father. “ For thinking you would betroth me to a horrid old man. I am sorry father for resenting your decision this past month. I only hope you can forgive me for I wish to see you both very soon.” Her father simply nodded and assured her she would be able to return to their estate and visit as soon as the honeymoon period had ended. Her parents both released her and she turned towards the Duke, he was standing by the carriage being pulled by two magnificent white horses. Their muscles flexed as they grew agitated awaiting the departure.

Iris walked towards him and took his hand as he opened the carriage door and assisted her in stepping up and into the luxurious carriage. He followed shortly after he had spoken with her father. Their discussion was brief and mainly consisted of her father nodding stiffly and throwing glances towards her. Iris furrowed her brow in confusion but did not linger on any thoughts that crossed her mind about what they could possibly be discussing. Finances most likely. She knew the Duke had waived his right to a dowry and had promised to take care of her parents and assist in any financial troubles they may be having. She had thought over this past month, why he needed a bride so badly he would cure all their worries just to marry her. She did not wish to think about it. She instead looked across the small crowd of people who had attended the wedding.

Distant relatives she supposed. They all stood and stared at her gossiping idly. About her she thought, they would all be wondering how she secured this fine, rich man who she hardly knew. She had heard the rumours. A pregnancy scandal, that was the biggest rumour. Why else would the wedding be planned and done in just over a month. She had never heard such nonsense, she knew nothing of the act she would need to perform to become pregnant. No one would speak of it to her, not even her mother despite her many queries as she was soon to be married she thought she would need to know. Her mother only expressed that her husband would guide her through it and that it would be the most natural experience.

Her thoughts were interrupted abruptly by the carriage door closing and the Duke's very essence making her feel incredibly small. She looked up at him through her eyelashes, expecting to see him smiling over at her but instead she was faced with a grim expression on his face. His jaw was tense and ticking as he looked out the window of the carriage. Her stomach dropped. It was all an act. He was not as enamoured with her as she first assumed. She looked pleadingly out the carriage at her rapidly disappearing parents as the powerful horses pummelled the ground with their hooves, pulling her further and further away from what she deemed safe. The Duke saw her panic and let out a long sigh, she could have sworn he rolled his eyes.

“My apologies if I am not how I first appeared, this was as much my choice as it was yours I imagine.” He looked over her, not in the loving way he did at the altar but assessing. Scrutinising. She felt herself pale as beheld the cold man before her and kicked herself for not being wiser. Of course it was not real, how could it be, she did not know him. He sighed again. “I do not wish for you to complete any marital act, although we are on honeymoon so I should expect people will leave us be. We must act as though we have done our duty to appease the onlookers.”

“Of course, my lord.” She replied dutifully although she was not entirely sure how she could pretend she had committed an act she knew nothing about. He cringed at her use of his title and simply said his own name back to her.

“It is William, if we are to act happily married then I implore you to please use my name and not my title. Especially in front of our house staff. They would become suspicious if you constantly droned my title around the manor.” He did not even look at her as he spoke harsh words. His tone was steady and unbothered, only concerned with putting on a front for his house staff. Iris did not know what overcame her, she could not do this. Live a lie. It was not what she wanted.

“So it was all a lie, at the altar. You do not wish to bring me all the happiness in the world or believe I am beautiful. You simply wish to live as strangers.” She could not stop the words tumbling out of her mouth and was as astonished as he was to hear the confrontation. She imagined he was not much used to hearing someone questioning him and although she was shaking with the nerves of challenging the man, she was somewhat relieved she had spoken the words. She had kept too much pent up over the past months and it was good to release some of her feelings. What did it matter anyway, he could not be rid of her and he only wished to live a lie.

“I do not wish for you to live an unhappy life, I am no monster. I shall do what I can to make you comfortable but I am no believer in fairytales. Marriage is a duty I must commit to in order to continue my bloodline. I did what I must to secure the future of my title. As far as your beauty, you are..” He paused and cast an assessing glance over her once more. “Fine.”

The words stung. Her temper had been flattened as she took in the words. Just fine. That was all he thought of her. This was just to be a show for all, she would be playing the part of devoted and dutiful wife while he… Well Iris was not sure what he would be doing. She leaned back into the carriage and clasped her hand in one and another if only to stop them from shaking. She closed her eyes and wished for home as they fell into an uncomfortable silence for the further duration of the ride.




CHAPTER 3


Upon their arrival at the manor, William exited the carriage quickly without even a farewell to Iris, leaving her to find her own way to her chambers. Contrary to what her mother had told her, she would not be spending the evening with her husband. Iris was in awe at the sheer size of the estate, even now as the sun was setting it was clear the Duke had a vast expanse of land full of lush fields and wonderful gardens bursting with life and colour. Iris made a mental note that she would walk the grounds and perhaps even establish her own plot where she could tend to her own flowers.

A young woman was standing in front of the oak doors of the manor, Iris assumed from her plain dress and simple shoes that this would be her lady in waiting and approached her, she longed for bed and rest. Seeing as she was on her honeymoon period she could not wait to be left undisturbed from any awaiting duties she would need to see to. The lady bowed lightly and greeted her as ‘my lady’. Although Iris’s family had been fortunate in the past she had never been referred to as a lady and it initially took her back as she was not entirely sure how she should react.

“It is just Iris… please.” She forced a stiff smile to her face as the woman nodded and returned the polite gesture. She gestured towards the manor with her slim arm and Iris followed her into the vast property towards her chambers. The woman was taller than Iris but not by much and had gorgeous red hair which Iris admired throughout her brief walk through the manor.

“This is where you shall take your morning and evening meals.” The woman spoke softly and her hair swept around her shoulders as she spoke. Her blue eyes never met Iris’s own as they expertly manoeuvred the house guiding them towards her chambers. “Should I assist you in changing into your evening attire, my lady?” Iris simply shook her head and the woman nodded and turned to leave the chamber.

“I do apologise, what is your name?” Iris queried before the woman could leave.

“Mary.” She then allowed her eyes to meet Iris’s own. “Please send for me should there be anything I can assist you in.” A gentle smile graced her lips and she bowed slightly before her.

“I should like to take a turn through the gardens in the morning, would you like to accompany me?” Iris returned the smile and prayed that Mary would not be so overwhelmed with work that she could accept. She could only imagine the workload Mary would currently have with a new Lady to serve. Well Duchess now she supposed.

Mary furrowed her brows and tilted her head as if she had misheard Iris. “I should certainly guide you to the gardens if that is what you would wish, my lady.”

“Forgive me Mary and please do address me as Iris, I do not wish to have such a formal relationship with you as my lady in waiting. I would very much like for you to walk with me on the grounds and allow me to pick your brain about the estate and its people.” Iris ensured she sounded soft and not at all demanding. She did not wish for the staff here to think her rude or spoiled. She was not sure what they had been told about her arrival or who they may have been expecting. “ I understand there is also a village near by which I may be required to visit and address the people as their new Duchess, I do not wish to make any missteps and this position is quite new to me. I would be very grateful for any guidance you could offer.”

“My - Iris.” Mary caught her words and straightened. She let a smile greet her lips which lit her face up. “ I would very much like to walk with you among the grounds and advise you on any information I may have. I am not sure I could offer much advice to you though. I have only ever been a maid however I could certainly try my best to answer any questions you may have for me.”

Iris thanked Mary and bid her a goodnight, as the door closed to her chamber she turned to take in the room. She was greeted by a large floor to ceiling window where the entire sunset was visible. The amber ball of light was slowly descending over the fields and out in the distance Iris could see the first inklings of night touching the sky. The faint twinkle of stars and the shadow of the moon as the sky slowly turned from shades of pink and yellow to a dark blue.

Iris sighed as she began to undress, she was still stunned by the words of the Duke in the carriage. Today had been a rollercoaster of emotions but now she turley felt alone and lost. She was here, completely isolated from her family and expected to spend the next two weeks honeymooning. She had no idea what that meant or if she would even see her now husband in this time, she knew he enjoyed travelling so would he leave now or wait the customary period? She lay in bed opting to leave the curtains open and let her mind wander to a conversation she had with her mother.

“When I married your father we had the most wonderful honeymoon, we would picnic in the gardens and just lay in bed for hours. We even had the staff bring our meals to our room, no one disturbs you during the honeymoon period. It will just be the two of you and trusted staff to see to day to day means. Oh Iris, I do hope you have the same wondrous experience I did.” Her mother was combing her hands through Iris’s hair for the day's extravagant hairstyle.

“Mother, I do worry that I am completely unaware of what my duties would entail. You have advised that I would be managing the estate, but I have had such limited experience in doing this here. Our own staff are few and although we have generous lands I am not sure they would quite rival that of a Duke.” Iris looked at her mother through the mirror as another large portion of her hair was dragged up into the mass on top of her head.

“My dear you must not worry of such things, I am sure your lady in waiting will be able to guide you. I must confess I too am unsure of your full duties but from discussing it amongst the ladies, I imagine you will be primarily supporting your husband in whatever he requires. He may ask you to ensure the staff are properly monitored in his absence or visit the village locally to ensure everything is in order and the folk have no qualms or issues which may need attention. I am not sure if he will grant you any means to address their concerns but sometimes people just wish to be heard.” Another sweep of hair was tugged up into the bun and Iris truly felt more relaxed at her mothers words. Still she could not stop herself from nursing that kernel of worry in her that she would make some major mistake and embarrass her husband in front of his people.

“Mother, are you certain this will resolve our worries?” Iris turned her pleading gaze to her mother once again. She had hoped that her mother would speak to her father and undo what had been done but as the days crept by she hoped less and less that this had all been some tragic error and she could instead turn to the marriage mart to find her true husband. “It is just, I would not wish to enter into this marriage if I am not required to. It is not that I am ungrateful and I am sure the Duke is a fine man, it is just.. I do not know him.” She fought the tears that had become all too frequent since her father had told her of the plan.

“Iris, I promise you, had there been another way. Another solution I could have offered your father I certainly would have done. I do not wish this for you. I only wish for you what me and your father had. I still remember the day I met him. Our eyes caught across the room at the Harrington's ball. I will never forget as he dismissed his brother’s conversation and made his way over to me. He simply took my hand and we danced the whole evening.” Her mother smiled wistfully, remembering the moments so clearly. “It was ever so impolite and my mother berated me after, I had other suitors on my dance card for the evening who I paid absolutely no mind to.”

Iris let tears willfully slide down her face as she thought of the moments growing up where she had imagined such a life for herself and how it had been stripped from her as she was pushed into this isolated future now laid before her. She sobbed until she eventually let sleep take her, dreading the day to come. At least she could enjoy her walk with Mary in the gardens. There was at least that to look forward to.


CHAPTER 4


William sat in his study looking over his many pages of plans for his next travelling endeavour. He had hoped to return to Meria where he could further advance his research on the rare animals that lived there. His thoughts kept drifting to Iris. He did feel somewhat sorry for her. He had seen her face when his demeanour changed from the front he portrayed to her at the altar but he simply did not want her to run from the church before the ceremony was completed. She may feel deceived by his initial words but what kind of fool did she take him for, to simply be enamoured with her upon the first glance. This was no romance novel they lived in; it was not his fault if she had foolish preconceptions of their arrangement. This was a business arrangement. He needed a wife to sedate the pressure of the local council who worried for the succession of his line and her father had so conveniently sent word of his business troubles begging, calling in an old favour his own father had granted him before he passed. William had simply obliged.

He sighed, frustrated he could not focus on his work so instead turned to leave the study to go in search of Iris to ensure she was not locked up in her room, brooding over a life lost. Then he heard it. The sound of her laughter winding into the room from the gardens. He approached the window to see what could possibly have her in such a good mood. There was nothing to do on the estate and even less so now he had dismissed the majority of the staff for the honeymoon period.

There she was with Mary, laughing as the hounds that he kept on the ground for hunting greeted her. They jumped up pawing at her dress leaving muddy tracks along the front but she did not baulk or back away. She knelt down embracing the hound. Her long luscious curls wrapped around her body like a winter coat and he was relieved to see such happiness on her face. Mary stood beside them, her hand on her mouth stifling laughter herself. William felt a half smile touch his lips before deciding he would leave her be and return to his maps.

William called for James, one of his house staff who personally assisted him. Wherever he went James was surely nearby. He entered the room briskly as William had predicted, his short brown hair and clean shaven face showing he had been up since the early hours of the morning readying himself for the day. “It is not required of you to begin a full day at dawn James, I am on my honeymoon after all.” William spread his arms wide as if the act of saying the words were not enough of a sign that he should have been having a grand and emotional experience. To be honest, he had looked forward to this period. He could work undisturbed without the council pressuring him to tend to anything they deemed a pressing matter. Two weeks of quiet solitude.

“Yes my Lord, of course. Was there anything I could do to assist you?” James responded stiffly.

“My god man, do you ever stop being so damn professional.” William cringed at the formal response James had given him. He had been the Duke here now for five years and the entire time James had treated him as he had his father. William despised this, he wished to never be seen in the same light as his father but could not seem to shake the professionalism his father had embedded into James despite having only worked for them approximately a year before his fathers passing. James remained stiff as a board awaiting any commands William might have for him. “Would you be so kind as to ensure my lovely new wife meets me in the dining hall for our evening meal. I should like to ensure she is settling in and if there is anything she requires to make her new home more comfortable. See to it she has everything she needs.”

James nodded stiffly before dismissing himself to see to William's command. Williams sighed and wondered if he would ever get a more friendly reception from James but quietly dismissed the thought. He sauntered back to the window to see if Iris was still holding the hound but found they had made their way through the gardens and was now walking next to Mary and talking indistinctly about something he found himself wishing he could hear.

Despite his words the previous evening being true, he most certainly did not simply fall for her the minute he laid eyes upon the woman, there was something to be said for her beauty. He had attempted to tell her this in the carriage but he knew no matter what he said, in that moment, she knew he was not looking for love. Her tanned skin seemed to glow in the mid-morning sun and her laughter carried across the grounds threatening to pull yet another smile from him. He found himself somewhat looking forward to their evening meal.


CHAPTER 5


After their walk in the garden Iris certainly felt much more comfortable in the manor, especially after the Duke… William, had not left his study all day. She considered taking her evening meal in her chambers when a gentle knock on her door had her calling whoever it was to enter. Mary strided in and bowed lightly.

“I trust you are enjoying the quiet my Lady and I do apologise for the intrusion however, I am here to help you dress for the evening meal should you require me.” A smile graced her freckled cheeks as she walked to the wardrobe and began to sift through the gowns.

“Thank you Mary but I believe I may wish to take my meal in my chambers, there would be no need to set the table for just one person.” Iris replied, offering her a straight smile.

“My Lady, I understand the table would be set regardless as the Duke has requested to dine with you this evening. He has requested I come and assist you in anything you require.” Mary turned from the wardrobe with her hands clasped in front of her as if waiting to be dismissed.

Iris was a little stunned by the words. After a day left of her own volition she had not expected the Duke to request her presence for dinner. She stood and nodded stiffly at Mary who seemed relieved at Iris’s decision and gladly returned to searching through the attire. Iris stood before her mirror as Mary pulled away her muddy dress she had worn for her walk through the estate. She had been pleasantly surprised to see there had been three dogs roaming the estate. William used them for hunting, Iris explained, the rest of the time they were free to roam the estate chasing rabbits and enjoying the lush fields. Iris had been shocked to find they did not have names, the Duke did not deem to give them names Mary had explained. Iris had felt pity for the creatures and named them herself. Rodney, Trevor and Phillip. Mary’s face had split with laughter at the names she had chosen and Iris could not help but let laughter escape her too.

Mary donned her in a gorgeous crimson gown with gold embroidery. Iris thought the gown was stunning and admired it as Mary braided her hair into two long strands that fell down past her waist. Iris thought, not for the first time that week, that she did look beautiful. Not that the Duke would notice. He seemed cold and distant, uninterested in her.

“Come my Lady, let me escort you to the dining space for the meal, I believe the maid will have set the table by now.” Grace stood back behind Iris and admired her work on her hair as Iris seemed to also. It was a change from her mothers usual decorations of her hair. Her mother would have braided flowers through the strands and arranged it in some hideous shape on top of her head.

“Tell me of the Duke.” Iris cast a sidelong look towards Mary as they descended the stairs. Mary had insisted initially on walking a few paces behind her but with some convincing Iris had managed to get her to walk alongside her so she could engage in conversation stating she did not wish to be calling behind her for their entire conversation.

“There is not much to say my Lady, he is often travelling and when he is home he usually keeps to his study or takes his meetings in the lounge.” Mary kept her eyes straight ahead, a note of apprehension on her face like she was unsure of what she could say.

“Well, what are his interests, if he has any at all or is he as cold and quiet as I have experienced.” Iris rolled her eyes but before Mary could reply a voice replied from behind her.

“I usually try to ensure my warmest greetings are given to anyone I meet.” Iris jumped as she turned to see William striding down the stairs behind her, followed closely by a muscled man with short hair she had not seen before. Mary dropped her head and stepped backwards up the stairs exchanging a glance with the bulky man who stood behind the Duke before dutifully taking up a stance next to him. “You, however, caught me on a particularly bad day.” William flashed a smile towards her before extending his arm. “I do believe it would be customary for a husband to walk arm in arm with his wife, especially in the early days of marriage.”

Iris felt the hot anger bubbling up in her as she narrowed her eyes at him. She would not be fooled as easily this time, she saw who was beneath the pleasant handsome mask the evening prior and would not fall victim to anymore lies. She continued walking down the stairs towards the dining hall as she vaguely remembered where Mary had led her that morning for breakfast. She could hear the Duke’s slow sauntering steps behind her. Clearly he was not that interested in taking her arm.

After a wrong turn or two and Mary clearing her throat to notify her she was heading in the wrong direction, Iris found the dining hall and allowed Mary to pull out her seat for her as she sat at the end of a long table with the Duke on the other side. Mary stood a few paces behind her before the Duke dismissed her and asked for her to make sure the cook did not need any assistance. Iris sensed Mary's reluctance as she left the room but did not look in her direction. She would not grant the Duke an ounce of her feelings despite Mary being the only comfort in this large house.

They ate in silence for the first course, Iris delicately eating the shrimp and salad as her mother had taught her in their many lessons growing up. She could feel the Duke’s stare on her the whole time but resisted raising her eyes to meet his across the room.

“I understand you took a turn round the gardens today. Did you find the grounds to be to your liking?” The Duke queried, a polite attempt at conversation. Iris had no interest in entertaining the idea. He had made his position perfectly clear the night before. She simply nodded as a plate of lamb and vegetables was placed in front of her with clean cutlery to accompany the meal. “Do you have everything you require? If there is anything you need please feel free to request Mary to send for anything you need.” Iris remained focused on her meal, still not daring to lift her eyes from her plate.

“Yes my lord-”

“William. Please, it is William.” She looked up at him then as he leaned back in his chair and ran a hand through his thick, chestnut hair. She peered at him across the table, it was difficult for her to remain with a picture of an icy, rude man when he looked so relaxed and casual in this moment.

“Why am I here?” She demanded, her words almost echoed through the room. “You could have selected any other bride, someone who had perhaps an interest in marrying you or enjoyed this constant barrage of contrasting personalities.”

“You had no interest in marrying me?” He smirked at her over the table, his now smug attitude, irking her beyond comprehension.
“I had no interest in marrying you.” She spoke definitively. “ I had no interest in marrying a cold man who does not care for my well being or even that of the very dogs on his own estate.”

“The dogs?” He looked at her confusion now declared across his face.

“The dogs you did not even deem to give a name.” She spat the words at him, she had never spoken to anyone so viciously. Iris had always been calm and timid but where had that gotten her. Stuck in a marriage where she was not wanted or loved.

His face turned to a frown and what looked like a flash of hurt crossed his face, Iris barely saw it. “If you think I am so cold and uncaring I see no point in continuing this meal.” He stood but kept his palms firmly pressed into the ebony table as he spoke through gritted teeth at her. “I am no cruel, hideous man but if you wish to paint me as one please feel free to do so but I will not sit here and be accused of acts I have not committed or be deemed to be a villain for something you do not know of.”

“So the dogs have names then.” Iris pressed but was cut short by him slamming the table with his palm.

“Why are you so fixated on the damn hounds?.” He bellowed and Iris jumped, the anger dripping off him made her shake, she had never seen a man so full of rage, over dogs of all things. She felt tears stinging her eyes but refused to let them fall in his presence. The Duke took a total of three shaking breaths before calling the muscled man, James she noted, into the room and declaring he would finish his meal in his study. “Since you clearly wish to not be in my presence, I shall not disturb you again.” Then stormed out the room leaving Iris alone with her now cold meal. She let the tears silently fall from her eyes.







© Copyright 2024 Ebony (ebox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320506-An-Uncertain-Marriage