*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320708-I-Have-Multiple-Myeloma
by Sum1
Rated: E · Essay · Health · #2320708
I wrote this essay at work today about the diagnosis of Multiple Myeloma in 2020
         I was going to post this in the newsfeed, it was too long. I could not believe that I had to wipe my eyes several times while writing this. I know it's personal (not private), I just didn't realize how emotional it is for me to write or talk about it.

         I am an instructor for Global Education at Motorola Solutions. I deliver classes on radio devices & systems across the United States, and sometimes worldwide.

         My Cancer story begins in 2021. I had a rough cough in the winter of 2019 and early 2020, but it disappeared when the temperatures warmed. I thought I was in the clear. But in the fall of 2020, it returned, only worse. It was so bad that I would sometimes pass out simply from coughing. As a result, my manager had me work from home for the first half of 2021, delivering classes online. I scheduled numerous doctor visits with Specialists. It was the ENT doctor who felt I should see an Allergist. She ran her own blood tests of course, but recommended I undergo Sinus Surgery. Blood tests and other tests showed I had an infection, but I was exhibiting no signs of one. The ENT then scheduled me for surgery. The Allergist referred me to a Hematologist because as she said, "Your blood work is all out of whack."

         It was April 2021 (I was scheduled to undergo Sinus Surgery in May), when I visited the Hematologist for the first time. On arrival at the clinic, I was surprised to see the sign reading Central Illinois Hematologist/Oncologist Cancer Clinic. At that point, I started to ask myself, "How sick am I?"

         Of course, the Hematologist needed his own blood samples. He also wanted to do a Bone Marrow Sample/Biopsy. The results showed that I had Multiple Myeloma, with about half my white blood cells in the Marrow cancerous. (With the Cancer diagnosis I was kept at home until I was healthy enough to travel, as determined by my doctor). I was lucky; most people learn about this much later and suffer from pain caused by Myeloma (The Cancerous Cells multiple in the Marrow, cannot leave it, so those cells cause the bones to swell, and eventually crack). The doctor told me that there were new medications that could be used to fight this cancer and that he would have me "As good as new" by the end of the year. I thought to myself, "Yeah right, this is Cancer, Doctor. There's no way that's happening." I didn't say it aloud though. He wanted me to keep the Sinus Surgery appointment and said we'd start the chemo treatment two weeks after the surgery.

         That schedule was adhered to, and I started the oral Chemo-treatment, along with a weekly shot of Velcade. And this good doctor kept his word too,. In December 2021 he did another Bone Marrow Biopsy. That Biopsy revealed that the Cancerous White Blood Cells were now at <5%. I called my wife and broke down in tears because I was prepared to be sent to Chicago to have another sample of blood drawn, followed by the hospital wiping my immune system completely clean. Of course this meant I would have no immune system and would spend my time in a plastic bubble until my immune system could recover. Instead I was in Remission! Now my appointments were monthly,, and no Velcade shots. This was 180 degrees from what I could have experienced, and somewhat expected. Plus, I could resume my normal schedule and travel as needed/scheduled. A subsequent Bone Marrow Biopsy in December 2022 revealed no sign of Cancerous White Blood Cells. I feel very lucky and blessed. I've been given a chance to live a new life. I intend to live it as best as I can. I am well, and intend to remain so. After all, this is important to me, and my wife.
© Copyright 2024 Sum1 (jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320708-I-Have-Multiple-Myeloma