*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320947-The-House-in-the-Forest
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2320947
A first try at short stories let me know what you all think of it
There were stories I always heard as a kid about an abandoned house larger than anyone has ever imagined in the forest surrounding my village and I always saw them as nothing but stories but now I want to see if any were true. I went on a walk from my small village into the forest surrounding the village it was a cold and dreary night and clouds started to roll in ominously and I turned and started to head back to the village but suddenly a flash of lightning right before my eyes hits a tree and the tree falls which blocks my path back to the village I turned back around and saw another path and thought I could take this path back to my village and this path was almost completely concealed by thick fog but nonetheless I decided that this could be a shortcut to my village. I started my trek on this path almost covered in thick fog and I had noticed that this part of the forest was far colder and darker than the path I was on coming into the forest before that tree was struck down and I was shivering because my coat was cut and old and ragged and I could see my breath as I exhaled. Out of nowhere I heard a rustling in the trees and bushes and growling and I looked around and at first saw nothing but I kept hearing the rustling and the growling and I turn again and see a pack of wolves and me being terrified I panicked and didn’t look back as I ran and ran and the pack chased after me I don’t know how long I was running but then I stumbled across a old rusted gate so I quickly ran behind the gate and I shut the gate and locked it with a rusted chain I found nearby. I backed away ever so slowly and when I was a safe distance I turned and saw a house behind me bigger than I’ve ever seen and I looked up and the clouds grew thicker covering the land in a dark and shadowy cloak only the moon shone through the clouds enough to light my way and then loud rumbles of thunder I heard and then it started to rain slow at first but then steadily got harder and stronger so I quickly ran to find shelter and came upon this house this dark and rotten and gloomy house that looked like it hasn’t been used in decades so I quickly went to the large doors and knocked twice…. No answer …… I knocked again and the door creeped open with a loud CREAK and I opened the door enough for me to slip in and then I closed the door behind me. “Where am I what is this abode I have stumbled upon” I would say, “Anyone home” I called out and there was no answer I looked around best I could in this dark house and saw that it had been abandoned for decades there were leaves and sticks and it looked like nature was starting to reclaim this house as its own for there were vines throughout the house windows were cracked and the floor was tearing apart I looked around once more and saw no signs of anyone being here so I decided to explore and see if I could find anything of use and all I found that could help me see were a few unlit candles so I picked one up and lit it with the lighter I always carried “There that’s better.” I said as I looked around for anything else I could use or hold onto to bring back to my village I looked all over the main floor for a few hours and found nothing so I went back to the main entrance and I yawned tired from what has happened and then I noticed the wind had stopped and the thunder and pattering rain and everything became eerily silent “Has the storm cleared already?” I turned and opened the door and saw that the clouds still covered the stars and the pattering rain had turned to soft snow but the clouds still covered the land in a pitch black cloak and then I turned and looked back in and headed towards the stairs to see the second floor and then I heard footsteps very eerie and haunting footsteps a dreaded and light tap-tap-tap coming down the stairs “H-hello is someone there” I asked with very palpable fear in my voice there was no answer and I heard it again tap-tap that was enough to scare me so I turned around and ran out leaving the dark and gloomy house behind me and I saw the same wolf pack but I noticed something different about their appearance they had glowing blood red eyes and were transparent I could tell because I could see the gate and trees behind them and I at first thought they were white wolves and had dug their way through the fence and ran towards me but there was no hole or any spot that they could’ve gotten through so then I realized “They’re GHOSTS!!” I yelled out in extreme surprise and even more terror. The snow had fallen and covered the land in a white and cold blanket and I tried to get up but I had tripped and I fell onto a pile of rough rocks staining the white snow red and then as soon as the wolf pack was right on top of me the entire pack just disappeared and I looked upon the dark and gloomy house with the clouds covering the snow covered land in a shadowy cloak and my sleep took over as I closed my eyes and after a short time I woke up as the sun gleamed above the land removing the shadowy cloak and the dark and gloomy house shined in the sunlight and I was surprised as the house didn’t seem so gloomy anymore but instead I got a better look at the house and it was a sight that left me speechless. The house was unlike any I’d ever seen it was like there was a completely different house with stained glass windows, and since it was light out I could see many other buildings that still sat abandoned I saw a small metal gazebo, with a good size and run down barn also being reclaimed by nature, and there was a good size garage as well with a few other buildings I couldn’t recognize what they were because of what nature did to them. I then got up yawning and stretching and then I rubbed my head and the bleeding stopped but my head still hurt so I shrugged and walked away unlocking the gate and turning away from the once dark and gloomy house as it rots away as nature reclaimed it. I went back to my village and had my head injury taken care of and I went to the location where the house is after I had healed but I never saw it again as it had rotted away completely and trees and grass took its place I kept only a few things I had found in the wreckage but I never saw the house or the buildings again all that remained was the creaky, old and rusty gate and fence and I told the village what I experienced but even now I’m the only one who knew about the dark, rotten, and gloomy house in the dark and cold forest on that dreary and cold night.
© Copyright 2024 Thanosfan3906 (austinf6785m at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320947-The-House-in-the-Forest