*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321053-Running-Away
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #2321053
Danny, Zak and Josh take off to avoid trouble.

The three boys waited for the last car to pass, tossed their gear over the viaduct, jumped over the guardrail, and headed down the embankment.

"We need to get down to the treeline before it's too dark to see," Danny said as dusk approached fast.

"I hid a flashlight at the bottom of the clearing near the river," Josh said, snatching his backpack from the ground and running down the hill.

Danny and his brother, Zak, followed. They always went to hide out in this part of the woods when things were bad at home. Today, they were all in trouble for their latest prank.

They reached their favorite spot at the base of the treeline, with the perfect view of the river. Josh searched for the light while the brothers made camp.

"I didn't have time to grab more than two tarps, so I hope you guys brought a jacked," Zak said, tossing one tarp on the ground and rigging a second as shelter.

"Damn, it's dead," Josh said, flicking the switch of the flashlight on and off, banging it against his hand and repeating the process.

The boys sat down.

"I can't believe how mad mom was," Danny muttered.

Zak laughed. "I guess it was a stupid idea. Though at least we got to swim for a few minutes."

"A swimming pool in the basement was kinda nuts," Josh admitted. "At least we didn't do it at my house. It's bad enough that your mom called mine."

Lightening cracked the darkening sky, and a massive boom of thunder shook the ground as it rolled through.

The boys looked at each other and then jumped to their feet.

"Let's get out of here," Danny shouted.

"Yeah, I'd rather be in trouble than wet," Josh said.

"Running away sucks!"

WC: 299
© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321053-Running-Away