*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321151-AUTISM-work-is-important
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2321151
I love working with HFA
Although our Google searches have significantly changed over the past year (different spiders and TOO MANY results that urge you to buy things), the general consensus online is that HFA (High Functioning Autism) per se is not a diagnosis, but just a name given to a range of difficulties individuals with Autism experience in their daily lives. While HFA is not per se a diagnosis, it IS used in many formal reports to denote those AU individuals who do not also demonstrate the following:

Low cognitive and academic functioning
Repetitive/Stereotyped Behaviors
Aggressive behaviors (due to lack of communication skills or other concurrent mental health issues)

HFA individuals are generally cognitively more able than most people you know (whether because they have an extensive vocabulary or amazing rote memory skills); they can go about their daily lives without much support from their families; they can have a job, especially if they are an FHA individual who thrives on routines; they can go grocery shopping, generally with a checklist that will help them keep track of what’s needed; they can go to the park and do some healthy walking around, should they wish so. They can even have friends and be a part of a positive and supportive social circle of peers.

HFA individuals with social communication challenges may go through life never knowing if they brought joy to someone’s day because they will not notice the smile. They may go through life not understanding that someone is attracted to them and would like to know them better because they don’t see the nonverbal cues we throw around when we’re interested. They may go through life without experiencing a connection with others, and this can be one of the most painful things someone with Autism can experience.

If you find yourself thinking:

I wonder why they said that!
I wonder what they meant!
Was this person making a joke?
Should I have not said what I said? Why won’t he/she talk to me anymore?
I’d really like to talk to this person but what do I say first?
What if they make a face I don’t understand?

… Then THIS IS THE PLACE for you to get help. We can definitely do this together! Join me! Communication doesn’t have to be a nightmare.

***

On the side, I help individuals with Autism figure out how better communicate their needs and wants. This generally starts with an assessment of what's going on (background info and baseline), it continues with a discussion of desired outcomes (What are you hoping to improve on? What really is driving this? etc.), as well as with a plan of how to get to those outcomes (how many sessions, how often, is SOS needed, how many months do you anticipate/want this to go on, etc.).

It is extremely rewarding to hear the progress individuals make with their social communication; when they don't have to wonder anymore what someone else said, what it means, what it could mean, etc., when they can look at a situation and immediately see two perspectives, when they can hear a statement and infer sadness (or whatever other emotion can be inferred), when all these things come together and they navigate a social situation flawlessly, it is absolutely amazing to know about it. It can change how you feel about yourself tremendously, and that can only lead to more successes. That is what I would like to dedicate my life to: helping others find success in their lives. I should be a Life Coach!!! (it literally just hit me).
© Copyright 2024 Dr. Misha (drmisha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321151-AUTISM-work-is-important