*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321613-The-Balloon
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #2321613
A young girl's imaginary friend
The Balloon

Tilley had an imaginary friend named Phillip.

He was fat and white like a marshmallow. A seam ran around his head and down his sides and there was a plastic nipple on his bottom where he could be pumped with air. Tilley had to fill him every day or he would go flat because that's what happens to balloons and Phillip was a balloon.

He didn't talk much unless he had something important to say but he was always a great listener which is what good friends do.

Tilley took him everywhere with her tied to a string and he'd follow her closely floating just out of arm's length with his big white head bobbing up and down.

She had to be very careful with him though because anything sharp like scissors, pens, or tacks would puncture him and he would die.

"What would happen," asked Phillip one day, "If you just let go of my string?"

"You would float away, silly," I said.

"I've often wondered what it would be like up there. I've heard that the sky opens up at the top and I've always wanted to see if it's true."

"No, Phillip!" I said, "You'd disappear and probably run out of air, and then I'd never see you again. Besides, you can see the sky goes on forever."

"Do you know that for sure?"

"Yes," I said. "Well, at least I think so, but the sky has no holes."

"So, you're not sure."

"Well, no. I've never been up that high."

"Tilley, does everyone have a purpose?"

"I think so, that's why we're here."

"What is your purpose, Tilley? What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"I guess I'd want to be an inventor and invent things. Useful things."

"I've always wanted to be an astronaut."

"Don't you want to be my friend anymore, Phillip?"

"Of course I do. You always take care of me. You're the only friend I've got. My best friend."

"But if I let you go we'll never have our talks anymore. Who will take care of you?"

"That's true, but we've all got to let go sooner or later. Please Tilley, just let go."

"But I'm scared, Phillip. I can't let go. You're all I've got."

"It's a big world out there, Tilley. It's time you discovered it on your own."

"But . . . I can't."

"It's time. Just do it."

Tilley looked at her friend for the last time and then let the string go. "Goodbye, Phillip. I love you."

Phillip rose in the air. Higher and higher he went until he was lost in the clouds.

When Tilley got home that day her mom asked, "Where's your balloon? Did it run out of air?"

"No, he ran out of sky."


(count: 460)

© Copyright 2024 W.D.Wilcox (billywilcox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321613-The-Balloon