*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321669-Romany---Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2321669
Background to a character from my D&D days for possible use as a prologue to a story.
In September, a wandering priestess named Parisa arrived in the city, her presence marked by a quiet air of reverence and an air of mystery. Romany, always eager for knowledge, found herself drawn to the new arrival's teachings, fascinated by her colourful robes and the various equipment she used in the her daily rituals.
Parisa, also brought something new and amazing to Romany’s life.
“What is this?” Romany asked, picking up a large round fruit.
Parisa smiled and dug her thumb into the thick skin pulling it off in chunks to and revealing a segmented inner. She pulled one of the segments off and handed it to Romany who popped it in her mouth chewing slowly. The sweet juice burst onto her tongue and she gasped, her eyes wide with amazement. Nobody in the tribe had ever seen an orange before, and the texture, the flavour and the colour was so different from even the food served in the royal court. Romany was immediately convinced that this was a gift from the Gods! However, despite being seduced by the novelty of the orange, Romany was not naïve. As Parisa preached her beliefs, Romany's curious nature propelled her to question the priestess on every facet of life, her inquisitive mind probing for answers. To her surprise, Parisa had responses and they were not merely simple answers which only led to more questions, but thoughtful and intriguing explanations that sparked her sense of wonder.
In their discussions, Romany's vast knowledge, garnered from her upbringing and insatiable hunger for learning, came to the fore. Parisa was impressed by Romany's understanding of midwifery, although it was a skill honed from tending to the tribe’s cattle and not entirely accurate for humans. Also, Romany showed her proficiency in reading, which was a very rare trait among the general population this far north.
Intrigued by the priestess' teachings, Romany eagerly took all the literature she could, despite the city's restrictions. Knowing that her thirst for knowledge was exceptional, the castle servants clandestinely assisted her in hiding the forbidden texts, trusting her innate wisdom and understanding her insatiable curiosity. As Parisa departed, promising to return, Romany nurtured a newfound sense of excitement; a new chapter of her quest for knowledge and truth had opened and it stretched far beyond the boundaries of her humble tribe.
Late at night, by candlelight, Romany's deep dive into the priestess' teachings ignited a transformation within her. With each passing day, her mind embraced the philosophy and wisdom contained in the forbidden texts, finding a resonance that stirred her soul.
Determined to embody these newfound beliefs, Romany began taking even more food from the castle kitchens, but, driven by her newly acquired principles, instead of eating, she took it to a local inn and urged the landlady to blend the rich ingredients with locally grown vegetables, coaxing her into crafting hearty pies, half of which were sold to customers and the rest donated to the poor. Romany's fervour to share the abundance with her fellow citizens mirrored the essence of the teachings she had absorbed.
“For is it not written that wherever the crowd gather, they shall receive the pies of abundance!” cried Romany as her dedication to providing nourishment to the community, albeit from unexpected sources, became a sign of her unwavering commitment to these newfound beliefs.
The aroma of freshly baked pies lingered in the air, a tantalizing scent that danced through the city, beckoning curious noses. News of Romany's act of kindness swiftly spread through the cobblestone pathways, drawing people to the inn like bees to honey. Excitement pulsed through the air, mixing with murmurs of appreciation and wonder.
However, as Romany’s pies reached every corner of the city, they carried with them more than just the promise of a hearty meal. Whispers, initially hushed and furtive, began to traverse the winding streets like wildfire. Scepticism simmered beneath the surface, mingling with the food that had initially sparked such joy. The city elders, rooted in the traditions passed down through generations, cast wary glances at Romany, their furrowed brows betrayed their unease as they exchanged concerned whispers and their wrinkled faces creased with anger.
"That girl's gone too far this time," grumbled one, his gruff voice barely concealing his disapproval. "She is bringing foreign beliefs into our city and disrupting our way of life!"
The main square, usually a bustling hub of jovial chatter, now housed clusters of people engaged in heated discussions. Arguments flared among them, dividing the once tightly-knit community. As the sun dipped low on the horizon, casting an orange glow over the castle, tensions rose. The conflict that had been brewing in hushed tones now spilled onto the streets, transforming the once harmonious atmosphere into a battleground of conflicting ideologies.
"Romany means well! She's trying to help!" shouted her defenders, rallying behind Romany's act of generosity and attributing it to her goodwill.
"She's undermining our traditions and disrupting the peace in Havnvik!" countered others, their voices raised in frustration and filled with the fear of change.
In the fading light, the inn stood as a silent witness to the growing divide within the city. The scent of the pies lingered, a fragrant reminder of the conflict brewing among the people. It was a turning point that marked a fracture in the community, with Romany unwittingly at the centre of a storm fuelled by her acts of generosity and the clash of beliefs. Accusations of challenging tradition and sowing dissent grew and this time Klara was unable to protect her friend.
The City Elders called on Romany to answer their charges, however, armed with the teachings from the Parisa's literature and her broader learning, Romany stood firm in defending her choices. She articulated her beliefs eloquently, citing the wisdom she had gleaned from the forbidden texts and challenging the conventional beliefs tied to the Fire Beyond The Sky. Romany stood before the council, her gaze steady and her words deliberate.
"You argue that our way of life needs to be protected from new ideas," she began, her tone respectful but firm. "But if this is the case, how will our life ever improve? We must allow new ideas and new thoughts; we must question whether there is something better. If you are so afraid that a new idea will change your lives so much, then you must also believe that your current ideas are wrong!"
Her words echoed in the chamber, the weight of her conviction evident in her unwavering stance.
"Progress doesn't stem from stagnation," she continued, her voice resonating with passion. "It arises from questioning and challenging what we know. If our traditions and beliefs are truly strong and just, they will withstand scrutiny. If they cannot endure the test of time or open inquiry, then perhaps they are not as unshakeable as we have been led to believe?”
Romany's gaze swept across the assembled Elders, a fervent determination burning in her eyes.
"Our ancestors, I believe, didn't adhere blindly to old ways; they evolved and adapted. They embraced change to better all of our lives. We owe it to them to do the same. Let us not fear change, but rather, let us embrace it as a catalyst for growth and improvement."
Her arguments quelled the dissenting voices among the elders, leaving her critics silenced once again, but her use of the new religion to counter the established beliefs of the Fire Beyond The Sky drew concern and officially brought her into conflict with Klara. In her official capacity as princess, it was her duty to uphold the traditional beliefs of their nation. She could not be seen to officially endorse somebody preaching a new religion. Romany was summoned to the royal apartments.
“You have gone too far,” Klara explained. “I could defend you for questioning our beliefs, but now you are actively promoting a false god! I cannot protect you.”
Romany nodded, but she did not speak.
“You are sixteen now,” Klara sighed. “It the eyes of the law you are a responsible adult and you can no longer hide behind the fact that you are not of age.” Klara dismissed the servants and once they were alone, she begged Romany to reconsider. “Please, for our friendship, condemn this new religion, fall in line and return to court as a diplomat and adviser!”
Romany shook her head.
“I cannot do that,” she said quietly. “I would not be happy.”
“Then that leaves me only one option,” sighed Klara. “I have to be seen to uphold the law and I certainly cannot show any sort of favouritism. The punishment is very clear; your crimes will lead to banishment. Don’t make me do it! Please, denounce your new God and accept the Fire Beyond The Sky, even if it is only in public!”
Romany smiled sadly.
“I am sorry, Your Highness, I cannot do that.” Despite the formality, Klara could see the pain and sadness in Romany’s eyes. However, unable to overlook Romany's persistent challenge to the official belief system, Klara was compelled to enact the banishment, an official declaration that severed Romany from Havnvik and her tribe.
When Parisa returned to the village as promised, Romany seized an opportunity. She sought refuge and solace in the teachings of Parisa’s religion and approached the priestess with a plea to join her on her journey. A few days later, Romany left the only life she knew and headed South to Meridian City and the main temple of her new God, J’Mhil.
Outside the city gates, despite the finality of the declaration, in a bittersweet moment concealed from prying eyes, Klara stole a fleeting moment to bid her friend a silent farewell. Under the cloak of darkness, the princess cast aside her regal obligations momentarily to stand beside her friend one last time. Though the meeting was wordless, the hug they shared in the quiet night spoke volumes. It was a poignant exchange, marked by shared smiles, a tight embrace and tears. In that moment, Klara, unburdened by duty and clinging fiercely to the bonds of their friendship, acknowledged their shared past, and silently wished Romany well on her new journey.
© Copyright 2024 LionheartGY (lionheartgy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321669-Romany---Chapter-4