*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321877-The-Illusionist-Ch1
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #2321877
When Harley receives an ancient grimoire, he gains the power of illusion.

The wall stretched high into the air, blocks of discolored stone rising from the ground as if nature itself had sculpted the architecture. It reached a little way into the cloudy sky before curving over to create a dome with three other identical arches. Harley ran his fingers across the smoothly-hewn surface, tracing the small marks etched into each stone. Between the ancient rocks ran streams of gold and copper, seamlessly binding the entirety of the structure together. Although many thieves had attempted to carve out chunks of the precious materials, the entirety of the building was protected by powerful barrier magic, preserving it through hundreds of years. Harley came here often to admire the beauty and power it exuded, studying the almost invisible aura surrounding the structure. The lightly glowing surface reflected some of Hurleys face, showing a head of black curls and large blue eyes looking back. The reflection warbled like a pond rippling which brought a smile to his face.

Shaking himself from his admirative trance, Harley tromped through the muddy and dew hewn grass around to the front of the building, where double oak doors spanned most of the entrance. The doors were complemented on either side by metal torch holders. Above the doors were the imprinted words, “Arcane Repository." Although the name would lead most to assume this was a mysterious and busy location, the Arcane Repository was only used once per year. It was set along the tip of a raised peninsula, capturing the eye of any passing ship or visitor to the local town. But at the same time, it was also put away from any of the lackluster town life. Harley grinned as he imagined the ornate festival soon to take place. Every year, the biggest holiday is celebrated within, known as The Acceptance. For one brief twenty-four hours, the day-to-day town life paused, and everyone, whether butcher, candlemaker, baker, or the sort, would attend.

On this momentous occasion, every eligible youth of the village would enter the Arcane Repository, hoping to receive one of their very own Grimoires. Although the number of commoners receiving Grimoires continued to fall, Harley figured he might as well attend the ceremony. The worst-case scenario was failure to be picked and a continued life in the village, performing his stable hand tasks and enjoying the company of friends. However, Harley thought. If by some slim chance I am picked, then everything would change. Harley recognized his wistful thinking and, a moment later, cleared his head. He continued around the building to the dirt path that led away from the coast and back to the heart of the village.
He'd barely started on his way back when a thunderous boom sounded overhead. That was of course the only warning Harley received before a torrential down pour began. Harley broke out into a sprint, his long legs propelling him farther down the rolling hill and over small scraggly bushes. The ground was already beginning to turn into the sorry muddy state it was in almost year-round, one of the many coastal benefits. Although the town was not far from the Arcane Repository, Harley and his mother’s home sat along the distant edge, creating quite the journey for him.
Harley leaped over the last bush on the path before he found himself running on a well-loved cobblestone street. The street was the only one running through the town of Aurelia, the northernmost settlement on the continent of Eldoria. It was coincidentally also the towns only paved street, hosting all main activity.

Harley flew by the shoemaker and butchers shop as the heavy rain continued to pelt him. Both shops had already lit lanterns and closed their shutters. Smarter than me Harley semi mused and chided. The dark clouds extended their reach over the coastal town, casting ominous shadows never seen at midday.

Another boom of thunder convinced Harley to duck into a taverns entrance, eager to get out of the pouring rain and ominous atmosphere.
Immediately the smells of piss-poor ale and wet clothes assaulted his nose. The tavern was a raggedy structure with low hanging beams of oak darkened by years of lit pipes. The walls were lit by the orange glow of torches with a low hanging metal candle holder in the center. There was no waiting area and instead four table were placed around the middle of the room with a bar barely squeezed on the side. At the back were a few booths, as much as could be managed by the small establishment. It created a cozy almost intimate environment.

Harley shook as much water as he could get off himself before one of the waitresses smiled warmly and waved him over to a table.

“Thanks Ella, how’s the business today?” Harley asked as he slid into his seat.

“Eh, same people as always.” Ella said with a shrug. “Now, can I start you off with anything or are you just waiting out the rain?” She asked with a knowing smile.

Harley’s cheeks colored and he gave her the usual response. “Maybe tomorrow Ella, a little short on coin today.”

Ella gave a sad smile and walked away to the other several patrons crammed in the small serving space. Harley recognized the usual bunch of men that drank to drink, the men that drank to escape their wives, and the men that drank to escape reality.

Another clap of thunder sounded just as the door burst open and a new guest entered. Looking around the same age as Harley, the young man was clad in a soft green robe accented by gold swirls. Huh, I didn’t think anyone from Dravenfall would come the week before the Acceptance… Harley thought to himself. Behind the young man appeared a roguish looking soldier, most likely a bodyguard. Both took a step into the establishment before flipping their hoods back and attempting to dry their hair. The young man, likely as close as you could get to nobility in Dravenfall, a town marginally larger than Aurelia, ran his fingers through tough locks of chestnut brown hair. After a few moments the possible noble and assumed bodyguard followed Ella to one of the couple booths round the back of the tavern. Harley caught her flashing them her best hostess smile. After jotting down their order Ella bustled herself back behind the counter and into the kitchen.

After Ella disappeared one of the men drinking, Elijah, set his cup down and stood suddenly. He stumbled towards the new arrived guests. Letting out a belch Elijah tripped on a loose floorboard and barely managed to catch himself on the chair of the table in front of him. One of the men enjoying their dink at said table pushed him away with an angry mutter. Continuing his drunken adventure Elijah took another step towards his destination. Before he got two steps closer the soldier type of a man stood suddenly.



© Copyright 2024 JsAWriter (jsawriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321877-The-Illusionist-Ch1