*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321926-Coup-in-the-Cabin
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #2321926
A gang of the frontier falls under new leadership in the frozen mountains.
Author's message: A quick little story I finished at exactly 1:30 AM (I have a terrible sleep schedule.)


"When are we going to get that money in Fortview? Lloyd, we need that money in Fortview; when are we going back to get that money?" Curtis is heard in his usual slow and awkward tone of voice on the other side of the wall, stuck in a never-ending argument with the boss, Lloyd, about retrieving money in the town of Fortview. Stephen looks over at Isaac, who's sharpening a stake from a stick with his hunting knife, and then at Chester, who leans against the wooden walls, in desperate need of paint. The room is small, with a singular window that looks out against the snowy forest next to a chest and a bed, on which Isaac sits. Stephen doesn't care to keep a quiet voice, knowing the boss is distracted by the bickering of Curtis.

"So, uh, are we doing this?" Isaac says, continuing to form the stake out of boredom. Stephen nods his head, leaning against the door behind him, ensuring no one else comes in. "Yeah, Lloyd's gone mad; he ain't fit to lead us any more. Curtis and Jasper just can't see that. We kill them too." Chester chimes in with crossed arms and a squint of his eyes. "Let me guess, you're in charge?" a question to which Stephen nods vigorously. "You've got that right." Stephen says this before Chester responds with a "right." Stephen counts his members again before he orders them to check their weapons, which they do so before Stephen turns around and opens the door, walks out, and takes a left, which leads to the room Lloyd and Curtis are in.

Stephen leans against the door, taking a deep breath before kicking it open. Curtis and Lloyd both jump, startled by the sudden intrusion. Curtis instinctively reaches for his own gun, but Stephen is quicker, and with a single shot, Curtis's head turns the wooden walls behind him a shade of red as he crumples to the floor. The noise echoes through the small cabin, reverberating off the thin wooden walls. Lloyd raises his hands swiftly, his eyes wide with shock and fear.

"Stephen, what the hell are you doing?" Lloyd's voice trembles, trying to regain some semblance of control.

"You've lost it, Lloyd. We're taking over," Stephen says, his voice steady, the revolver unwavering in his hand. Isaac and Chester appear behind him, weapons ready, forming an imposing presence. Lloyd's eyes dart between the three men, realizing the futility of resistance. "You don't know what you're doing," he says, trying to sound authoritative but failing miserably.

"Oh, I think we do," Stephen responds, stepping further into the room. "We've been scraping by under your 'leadership' for too long. Time for a change." Stephen bangs his own chest with his palm. Lloyd takes a step back, his back hitting the wall behind him. "You'll never make it to Fortview without me. You don't know the contacts, the plans-"

"We'll manage," Stephen cuts him off. "And if you think we can't, well, that's your problem, not ours." Isaac moves to the side near the window, blocking any potential escape route. Chester stays near the door, keeping an eye on the hallway. Stephen steps closer to Lloyd, his finger twitching slightly on the trigger.

"Last chance, Lloyd. Step down and maybe we let you live," Stephen offers, though his tone makes it clear that it's an empty promise. Lloyd swallows hard, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. "Alright, alright. You win, Stephen. Just... don't kill me."

Stephen nods slightly, a smirk forming on his lips. "Good choice." Isaac and Chester move in to disarm Lloyd, taking his gun and any other weapons he might have. Once he's secured, Stephen lowers his revolver, though he doesn't put it away.

"Now," Stephen says, turning to Chester and Isaac, "we need to plan our next move. Fortview won't be easy, but with the money there, we can set ourselves up real nice." Isaac nods, still holding the newly sharpened stake. "What about Curtis and Jasper?" he asks, his eyes flicking to the lifeless body of Curtis on the floor.

"We take care of Jasper the same way," Stephen replies coldly. "No loose ends." Chester grins, a look of anticipation on his face. "Let's get to it then."

The three of them leave the room, leaving Lloyd under the watchful eye of Isaac. Stephen and Chester make their way through the cabin, the air heavy with tension. They find Jasper in the main living area, unaware of the fate that has befallen Curtis and Lloyd's new position as a prisoner, having been basically deaf his whole life. He constantly hears things that others don't and a random gunshot in the middle of the cabin would be far too random for him to consider it to be real.

"Hey, Jasper," Stephen calls out, forcing a friendly tone. "Can we have a word?" Jasper looks up, his face breaking into a puzzled smile. "Sure?" Stephen and Chester exchange a quick glance before Stephen makes his move, drawing his gun once more. "Sorry, Jasper. It's nothing personal."

The shot rings out, echoing through the cabin. Jasper falls, his expression frozen in surprise. Stephen holsters his revolver, turning to Chester. "Alright, that's done. Now let's get ready for Fortview." With Lloyd's downfall complete and their path to Fortview clear, the new leadership of the gang sets in motion their plans for a more prosperous, if not bloodstained, future.
© Copyright 2024 BG. O'Connor (bluehussar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321926-Coup-in-the-Cabin