*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322027-All-Is-Well
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Spiritual · #2322027
Chad returns to his true home.

The three of us walking through the mall hand in hand had become my only pleasure as of late. Time was moving too quickly, and I knew for me, it was limited. I could feel it in every fiber of my being. Before moving on, I had to make the most of it and vowed to do just that. Michelina had closed herself off, but my daughter, Kaci, well, that girl was perceptive.

Any time I reached for her hand, she would grasp mine and squeeze, acknowledging that I was indeed there with them. Those were the moments I cherished. It's why the mall, with all the hustle and bustle, all the noise and static, became an enjoyable place for me. I could tune everything out, but the three of us, my focus was so acute that nothing else penetrated through.

Everything seemed more vibrant now, neon colors all aglow, like walking into the kaleidoscope of a rainbow with rays of the sun bursting through, announcing their splendor. It was as if the world had come alive, been reborn, and I was its witness, taking it all in with fresh eyes.

I looked down at Kaci, the child I adored, as she skipped to keep up with Michelina. My wife had a purpose today.

"Kaci, first, we are going to get you a new pair of shoes," Michelina began, stopping outside the store, "and then Mommy just has to make a quick stop to pick up our order."

We ventured into the children's section of the large department store and over to the shoe displays. "You are growing so fast; we must get you two pairs. You can pick the tennis shoes yourself."

Kaci looked up at her mother. "I get to choose? Anyone I want?" Kaci asked.

Michelina nodded.

I, too, was just as surprised as Kaci. Usually, my wife likes to make sure Kaci doesn't have anything too flashy, and that means those cool shoes that light up when you walk, or the ones with all the colorful characters on them were a solid no. Things had definitely changed.

Kaci dropped my hand and rushed to the tennis shoes section while Michelina looked over the dress shoes. I stood off to the side, watching Kaci's eyes dance when she focused on the light-up shoes and honed in on the pair of sneakers that looked like a magical rainbow, with purple at the tip of the shoe and ending red at the heel. I smiled with pride at my daughter's good taste.

Back at the house, Michelina and Kaci went about their nightly rituals. I watched on until it was time to tuck Kaci into bed.

My wife climbed onto the bed and took the book that Kaci had selected. Nothing was more beautiful than seeing them lying together, smiling, and hearing the rhymic sound of Michelina's voice as she read the much-loved book about fireflies.

I was still drawn to my old life, wanting to touch and be there for them, but I knew I couldn't. Nothing pained me more than watching them suffer because of the way I had left them both. I never had the chance to say goodbye, to tell them how much I loved them both, that they were my world and would always be.

"Are you ready?" My angel asked.

I closed my eyes, I knew my time was fading, but I had hoped it wouldn't be now. "Does it have to be now?"

"I'm afraid so, Chad."

I moved over to the bed and kissed Michelina's head lightly. "I'll always love you. Someday, you will see me again."

I reached for Kaci's hand and squeezed one last time. When she squeezed back, a searing pain as sharp as a knife moved through me from head to toe. I didn't want to leave them. I would be content spending my time here watching over them, though I knew that wasn't how it worked.

The pull from the brightest light I had ever seen took over, separating me from the ones I loved and sending me from one realm into the next.

I found myself on a hill, surrounded by a comforting quiet I had never known.

"I realize you think this is the end for you, but I assure you it's not." The angel said. "Come, we have much to do."

"Like what?" I asked, unsure of everything.

"It's time to go back to your home."

"I was just there," I said, confused.

The angel turned to me. "No, Chad, in that realm, it was a place you stayed. Here, it's the home you created long ago."

My mind raced. What was he talking about? It didn't make sense. "What do you mean I created?"

"Soon enough, you will remember every lifetime you've had, and I know once you see your home, the one you built from love and nurtured, things will become more apparent."

I followed behind and took a deep breath, hoping all he said were true.

With every step forward, familiarity emerged.

"Wait," I said. "We're going to the cottage with the waterfall."

"Yes."

I remembered. I stopped walking and took a deep breath as memories of other lifetimes spent with Michelina flooded my consciousness of this home we created, carefully leaving bits and pieces of our past lives for one another to find.

"I remember," I said.

"You see. All is well, Chad."




WC: 904
Writer's Cramp 6/16/24
Prompt: Please write a story or poem that has the title:
"All is Well"
And please select "Spiritual" as one of your genres!



















© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322027-All-Is-Well