*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322356-Romancing-Romance
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Animal · #2322356
Prissy peahen finds a peacock with no taste in literature. 300 words
Romancing Romance


“Hello, Prissy!” a melodious voice said in her ear.

Startled, she turned toward the sound. When she saw who it was, she began to preen and act nervously.

“Why Peter, what brings you to the woods?”

“I love a romantic walk,” he said, taking her wing.

She pulled away abruptly as his gesture had almost made her drop the book of poetry she carried under it.

“That wing is a little sore, take the other one,” she prevaricated hastily.

The peacock of her dreams obliged, and they began to strut happily together along the woodland path. Peter picked up a feather which had fallen out of his tail. Gallantly he handed it to the peahen.

“Something to remember me by,” he said gallantly.

She thanked him prettily and inserted it into her own duller feathers.

“Shall we rest awhile under that tree, my dear?”

She nodded gratefully as she was not used to walking so far.

Once they were settled, Prissy pulled out the poetry volume and began to read aloud. Before she’d finished a single poem, she heard horrendous snoring. Embarrassed, she quietly got up and headed home, feeling rejected and foolish.

She never heard from Peter again, which was not surprising as he was as vain and proud as all peacocks. He was not likely to want to be seen with a bookish peahen! She discarded the feather he had given her, sending it into the wind.

“Perhaps another bird will appreciate a splash of color more than me,” she told herself.

The next day, she spotted a raven with the bright tail feather stuck in its own tail. She hid her giggle under her wing as she watched it prance and show off. What was funniest, is it got him noticed by the females!

© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322356-Romancing-Romance