*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322637-Without-Representation
by Joy H.
Rated: E · Monologue · Emotional · #2322637
A brief rant for Sally Hemings
Superiority. It’s a word that many of us share so much distastefulness yet it’s very definition provides us a way to feel inferior.
As I read about this woman, I couldn’t help but wonder where her story was? What was her story? Surely, as one of the more famous African American women, she would have copious amounts of letters and moments and family, yet she is one of the least known African American women, historically. I’m talking about Sally Hemings, a “mulatto” slave who birthed many different children who would later earn their freedom. Her identity is only revealed when discussing her captor, her gateway. Thomas Jefferson began his sexual relationship with Sally Hemings when she was fourteen years of age. I only say “his” sexual relationship because it could barely count as hers. Time and time again, she’s referred to as his mistress, his concubine. Terms that already deem her inferior because of her social status at the time. But how does she share this sexual relationship?
There were two terms during this era that would dissipate one’s individuality: negro and woman. What happens when one is a negro woman? Are you even considered anything less than an object? — In Sally’s case, a desire. Sally Hemings was not the first nor would she be the last of this pattern. Her children, grandchildren, perhaps even great grandchildren have more of a voice than she would’ve ever dreamed of. But they’re also of African descent, no matter the obsession with identifying with Jefferson.
Sally Hemings’s story opens up the entirety of black women’s stories. How, throughout history, it repeats the cycle. Black women are raised to have certain values, but expected to receive the least amount of support. We are taught to protect our men because they are oppressed but never expect them to protect your image because you are a black girl. Your image is at the very bottom of society’s hierarchy, don’t move it. Ironically enough, we do not have a picture of Sally. A brief description given by Thomas Jefferson says that she was a “handsome woman”. She had long, straight, black hair and did not look black. She was impregnated by the man who essentially owned her. He desired her.
I will never not be confused by black women in this day and age. We still lack the ability to gain a voice in ways. One of the main ways that we do is in our sexuality. Black women are strong, beautiful but above all, viewed as salacious, seductive vixens. Whenever I see girls like Ice Spice and Sexyy Red, I always wonder if this pattern will ever break. How we are out at the bottom but will appease to the expectations thrown onto us because it is how we gain an identity. Did we really know Sally Hemings?

Sally Hemings, daughter of Elizabeth “Betty” Hemings, will never get her story told. We will only know her as the slave who mothered the third president’s children as his mistress. Sally, you are protected. Sally, you are not heard. You were never freed by him and you continue to hold his name. Sally, we see you. Sally, you are freed.
© Copyright 2024 Joy H. (cammlikely at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322637-Without-Representation