*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323171-the-Church-of-the-Dude
Rated: E · Poetry · Inspirational · #2323171
the Church of the Dude is a real thing

The Church of the Dude

38 lines

Jason Lee was a big fan
Of the cult classic movie
The “Big Lebowski.”

Which chronicles
The life and time
Of the “Dude”.

Who is mistaken
For a bad dude
By some other dudes.

But in the end
As all Dudes do
He abided
While bowling.

Jason met at the bowling ally
Sam Jackson who was also
A devotee of all things Dude
And one of the founders
Of the Church of the Dude in Thailand.

Recently returned to his hometown
In search of spiritual redemption.

As they bowled and bonded
They decided to form
The Church of the Dude
Launching it at Albany Bowl.

The news went viral
Dudists all showed up
Watching the movie.

Then bowling
And hanging out.
The Church of the Dude
Was launched.

Spreading rapidly among
The hipster set.

CO-Pilot Background info on the movie The Big Lebowski

and on the Church of the Dude which is a real thing


“The Big Lebowski” is a 1998 independent crime comedy film written, directed, produced, and co-edited by Joel and Ethan Coen1. The film stars Jeff Bridges as Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski, a Los Angeles slacker and avid bowler1.

The story revolves around “The Dude” who is mistaken for another Jeffrey Lebowski, a wheelchair-bound millionaire23. The Dude seeks restitution for his ruined rug and enlists his bowling buddies to help get it4. The millionaire Lebowski’s trophy wife is supposedly kidnapped, and the millionaire commissions The Dude to deliver the ransom to secure her release1. The plan goes awry when the Dude’s friend, Walter Sobchak (played by John Goodman), schemes to keep the ransom money for the Dude and himself1.

The film is known for its eccentric characters, comedic dream sequences, idiosyncratic dialogue, and eclectic soundtrack1. Despite receiving mixed reviews at the time of its release, it has since become a cult favorite1. In 2014, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"1.

Learn more
1 en.wikipedia.org2 www1.123moviesme.online3 themoviedb.org4 imdb.com
7of30


The Church of the Dude, officially known as The Church of the Latter-Day Dude, is a religion, philosophy, or lifestyle inspired by “The Dude”, the protagonist of the Coen Brothers’ 1998 film "The Big Lebowski"1.

The Church was founded in 2005 by Oliver Benjamin, a journalist based in Chiang Mai, Thailand12. Dudeism’s stated primary objective is to promote a modern form of Chinese Taoism, outlined in Tao Te Ching by Laozi (6th century BCE), blended with concepts from the Ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus (341–270 BCE), and presented in a style as personified by the character of Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski1.

Dudeism advocates and encourages the practice of “going with the flow”, “being cool headed”, and “taking it easy” in the face of life’s difficulties, believing that this is the only way to live in harmony with our inner nature and the challenges of interacting with other people1. It also aims to assuage feelings of inadequacy that arise in societies which place a heavy emphasis on achievement and personal fortune1.

As of May 2017, an estimated 450,000 Dudeist Priests have been ordained worldwide1. Despite its use of comedic film references and occasional criticism of religion in its traditional sense, its founder and many adherents take the underlying philosophy somewhat seriously1.

Please note that while Dudeism draws heavily from the philosophy presented in “The Big Lebowski”, it is a legitimate religious movement with its own beliefs and practices1. I

PS I became a Dudist. their web page is a hoot.


NEW PROMPT DUE 15 hours 17 minutes 4 seconds
Write a story or poem about a friendship that begins between two strangers who meet at a bowling alley.

© Copyright 2024 JCosmos (jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323171-the-Church-of-the-Dude