*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323426-Candlelight
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2323426
Casey is safe so long as she stays in the light
Casey dragged herself across the carpet, her good leg doing all the work. The wall, cold and unyielding, pressed against her back. The flickering candlelight in her trembling hand revealed the grotesque sight of her shinbone piercing through flesh. The agony seemed almost distant compared to the horror lurking just beyond the fragile glow. The creature's grotesque presence gnawed at her sanity. Her tiny pool of light offered scant sanctuary from the nightmare that stalked her.

"It will burn out soon," it taunted, its voice a guttural and menacing.

"Leave me alone," she whimpered, pressing herself harder against the wall, her voice barely audible.

The heat from the candle grew as it neared her fingers, offering a constant reminder of how little time she had left. She switched hands, seeking a brief respite from the scorching wax. The mingled scents of sulfur and hot tallow filled the air. Absentmindedly, Casey scrubbed at her nose with a wax-coated finger.

The Ouija board lay within the light's reach, its broken planchette scattered in shards. Her friend's leg, severed and lifeless, protruded from the darkness, the once white sock, now stained crimson. A thick toe poked through a hole, pointing accusingly at her. Casey forced herself to look away, swallowing back the bile rising in her throat.

'It wasn't my fault,' she thought desperately. How often had they played with the board, never believing it was more than a game?

She reached for the light switch, but the power was out. As if to remind her why, lightning flashed outside, illuminating the hulking shape for a heartbeat. It recoiled from the light, then fixed its crimson stare on her once more. Tears of frustration and fear filled her eyes as she recalled her friend's screams, abruptly silenced by the beast's savage attack. Her attempt to intervene had left her with a shattered leg. The creature's mirth seemed to grow as if it could taste her fear.

"Why are you doing this?" she shouted, her voice trembling.

"You summoned me," it replied with a dark, mocking chuckle.

"Then I un-summon you!" she cried, her voice breaking.

Thunder boomed, drowning out her plea as the creature's laughter echoed in the room. "It doesn't work that way. You play games without knowing the rules!"

Casey's lips quivered as she clutched the candle, her lifeline. "Blow out the flame. Let's be done with this," it taunted.

Ignoring its words, she struggled to stand, nearly dropping the candle. The beast inched closer, its wolf-like snout sniffing the air.

"Your friend was delicious. I can only hope you will taste as sweet," it sneered.

"Go away!" she screamed.

Hot wax dripped onto her fist. She ignored the pain, sliding along the wall, each movement sending agony through her broken leg. She bumped into an end table, knocking a magazine to the floor. The beast leaned forward, eager.
She thrust the candle out, its light barely holding the creature at bay. The flame flickered, nearly extinguishing, then resumed its dim glow. The beast advanced, confident, ready to pounce when the light failed. Each drip of wax marked the passage of time, and she was trapped. She breathed heavily as panic clawed at her mind and watched helplessly as the candle dwindled to its end.

Desperation gripped her. An idea sparked in her mind. The magazine! With frantic hands, she tore out a page, crumpling it and thrusting it into the dying flame. The candle went out, plunging the room into darkness.

The beast howled in triumph, lunging forward, but the papers ignited! Casey dropped the flaming page, feeding the fire with more torn sheets. The flames grew, light banishing the shadows. The beast retreated, eyes glowing with fury, but the blaze spread, consuming the carpet and reaching for the curtains.

Casey screamed in defiance, watching the entity become a streak of black smoke, fleeing back into the Ouija board. Yet victory was short-lived. Flames set the carpet ablaze and spread hungrily, rapidly across the room, alighting everything in its path. Surrounded by fire, Casey knew there was no escape.
© Copyright 2024 Shawn Odette (sodette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323426-Candlelight