*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323495-Love-You-Mom
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323495
Flash Fiction
Love you Mom

Mom’s birthday, I was ten. I wanted to give her something special. Of course, I only had my allowance, and those days it was pretty small, plus, I usually spent it all the day I got it, at the corner store. Apparently at ten I was not old enough to think further than a week at a time.

Next to the candy store was a second-hand store where we often shopped. Mom bought me many outfits we never could have afforded if not for that store. I didn’t really know this then; I just thought it was a cool store. But I decided to try in there for a birthday present for Mom.

They had tons of stuff that wasn’t clothes. I hadn’t seen much of it because Mom always had me at the clothes rack when we shopped there. Unfortunately, there really wasn’t much that looked birthday-ish. Well, not to me. But as I walked around, I got some ideas. I picked up a picture frame. That was easy, I could draw something. I didn’t know what… but before I thought of something I saw a little plate that was really pretty, AND it fit in the frame! I grabbed it! And I’d still had enough money left for ice cream! But then… there was a small board on the counter and someone had burned words into it. “I Love You” and it was only another dollar! I gave up the ice cream and bought them all. At home I glued them together with Mom’s best glue (while she was out in the yard) and wrapped it up and gave it to her. She loved it.

I’m seventy-six. That frame hangs on my wall now, and every time I walk by it, I think of Mom. Love you Mom.

© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323495-Love-You-Mom