*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323662-April-Fools-Day----WC-299
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2323662
Betty is surprised by a stranger in the office parking garage.
April Fool’s Day




April 1st brings out the jokesters, so I was ready for anything as I walked through the parking garage toward my car. I was exhausted and wanted to get home and away from the April Fools’ nonsense.

A stranger was standing next to my Toyota. I thought about returning to my office and having a security guard escort me, but I was too tired. I just wanted to get home.

The guy probably thought it was his car and would realize his error when he tried his key. I walked closer.

“Can I help you?”

He turned toward me.

The evil look in his eyes made me shudder.

“That’s my car.”

“I know it is,” he said, pointing a gun in my direction.

Oh, that’s right, it’s April Fools’ Day. Someone put him up to this.

Is this a joke, sir?”

“Does it look like a joke, Betty?”

Now my knees were shaking. Who in the world would want me dead? George in Accounting doesn’t like me much. Evelyn in HR hates my guts.

“Did George put you up to this? Or Evelyn?”

“Arnie in Acquisitions, Betty.”

And here I thought we got along. Go figure.

The gun looked real. I wanted to turn and run but didn’t want to take a bullet in the back. Well, I didn’t want a bullet in my front either.

He placed his finger on the trigger. I stood transfixed waiting for the ‘boom’ and then the pain. I could almost feel the cold concrete under my dying body.

I braced myself as he pulled the trigger…

a colorful little flag poked out of the barrel.

“April Fools!” the stranger bellowed through his laughter.

April Fools indeed!

I guess Arnie in Acquisitions likes me after all.
© Copyright 2024 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323662-April-Fools-Day----WC-299