*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323835-The-Sweater
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #2323835
Full of memories... 299 words. Winner of the DFFC
Key phrase in bold.
Word Count: 299.
"Winner for 7/18 and prompt for 7/19"  

"Look, Mom! It's a Pooh Bear sweater." I pulled out a hanger, brandishing the turquoise sweater with an embroidered Winnie the Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore on the front. "Isn't it adorable?"

She eyed it with droll amusement.

"Cute, yes, but Lanie, are you really going to wear that?"

"Why not?"

"Need I remind you you're twenty-six years old?"

Mom had never cared much for Disney, despite raising me on Pooh stories. I still had my beloved stuffed Hundred Acre Wood inhabitants sitting on a shelf in my college dorm.

"I don't careā€”this is gonna be my favorite sweater ever! It's only five dollars, mint condition."

***

"You wore your Pooh sweater to your first date?!" Mom's voice was incredulous.

"He loves it. It was perfect for our casual movie night."

"Lanie, are you getting married wearing that?"

"Why not?"

***

"I'll be right over!" I held back tears.

I was thirty. Mom was diagnosed with cancer and needed intensive inpatient treatment.

I wore my Pooh Bear sweater at each visit. It made her smile. One day, the hospital felt much colder than usual. She was shivering.

"Mom, don't you have any warm clothes?"

"No, honey. They said I wouldn't need them."

"Baloney." I pulled off my warm sweater and gently put it on her. "This is yours now."

We held hands, laughing, remembering all the funny places I'd worn it to.

She wore it almost every day in the chilly, drafty hospital.

One day, Mom came back home. She arrived with a package.

"It's your sweater," she smiled. "I had it cleaned up for you."

It was too precious to wear after giving Mom warmth and hope during her recovery. I folded it and had it framed.

Whenever I see it, I remember Mom and the healing power of our love.
© Copyright 2024 Amethyst AngelšŸ‚šŸ§” (greenwillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323835-The-Sweater