*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324904-Hot-Pursuit
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #2324904
It happened at the library.
Wild turkeys strut around the local library parking lot. Sometimes, people feed them. They're not afraid of humans.

It was such a sunny day. I'm sitting in my car, my windows rolled down, waiting for my son to come out of the library.


Fifteen minutes go by. A lady comes out of the library doors, and a turkey falls in line behind her, following her onto the lawn.

She hasn't noticed, until she stops and turns toward the parking area. She's waving her arms.
"Go away. Shoo!"

The turkey merely prances around. This time, she turns on her heel. decides to walk at a faster clip. Unfortunately, the turkey does the same.

Suddenly, she darts forward, and sprints, like she was on fire, across the parking lot, screaming and zigzagging all the way, with the zigzagging turkey in hot pursuit.

Other turkeys notice. They join the chase, zigzagging and making gobbling sounds. Obviously, they're thinking the one in the lead had found food.

The lady narrowly escapes into her car and drives away.


Several minutes later, other groups of people also came out the library doors, but the flock of turkeys had found thier way back and were still recuperating from their loss.

I pick up my magazine to kill time. There wasn't anything too interesting to read. When I look up, I see my son exit the library. He scans the parking lot for our car.

A turkey sees my son. My son sees the turkey.

I think, Run, son, run!

He seems to read my mind. He sees the turkey advancing. screams like a banshee, and runs for my car. It reminded of one of the sims in the Sims game, screaming and running.

The car door flys open, he jumps in, and slams it shut.

Meanwhile, I'm rolling around laughing so hard I can barely speak. Nothing prepared me for something like this.

"What's wrong with you? You didn''t even try to save me!"

"I'm sorry for laughing. There wasn't anything I could do."

"So you'd really let me be attacked and killed by turkeys, and watch while they pick me apart, bone by bone?"

"No, of course not. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't attack you."

"Pretty sure?"

"Relax. They were just hungry. and thought you were foo... I mean that you had food."

© Copyright 2024 ~SilverMoon~ (dnadream at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324904-Hot-Pursuit