*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325212-Sun-Kissed-Love-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Novel · Detective · #2325212
The continuation of my novel.
Her desk was a battlefield of paperwork and half-empty coffee cups. Reports from her officers were scattered, detailing the mundane and the critical. She rubbed her eyes, feeling the weight of every decision she'd made that day. The security firm she had founded was growing, and with it, the responsibilities and burdens grew heavier. Yet, she knew that each choice was a thread in the safety net she had meticulously woven around the city.

The intercom on her desk buzzed, jolting her out of her thoughts. "Lynn, we've got a situation at the east district," her second-in-command, JR, said with urgency. "An anonymous tip about a potential break-in at the Waikiki Beach Marriott"

Her heart skipped a beat. "What's the intel?" Lynn's voice was calm but firm, as she leaned into the intercom.

"Surveillance spotted a suspicious van parked near the service entrance." JR responded.

Lynn's eyes narrowed. She stood up, adrenaline coursing through her veins, and grabbed her keys. "I'm on my way. Get me everything we have on the property layout and the team's status."

The Lexus sped into the portico and came to a screeching halt. She headed straight for the operations room, where the walls were lined with screens displaying live feeds from various locations around the city. Her team was already in action, their faces tense as they studied the screens.

"Show me," Lynn demanded, her eyes scanning the monitors for the telltale sign of the suspicious van.

One of the officers, pointed to a grainy image. "Here it is, parked right outside the service entry." The van looked out of place, its side panels reflecting the harsh glow of the security lights.

Lynn's eyes narrowed as she assessed the situation. "Good work. Let me see the van's plate number." The video slowly progressed to the point where she could see the plate.

"Got it," a voice called from the back of the room. "Running it through the database now."

Lynn's phone buzzed on the desk, interrupting the rhythmic tap of her keyboard. She glanced at the screen, but the message was from Mackenzie, not the notification she'd been expecting. With a sigh, she swiped it away and returned to her work. The office was unusually quiet tonight, the hum of the air conditioner and the occasional rustle of paper the only sounds to keep her company.

"You okay?" her officer, Mark, asked from across the room. His desk was cluttered with empty coffee cups and stacks of files. He looked as tired as she felt.

"Yeah, just eager for some good news," Lynn replied, trying to keep the frustration out of her voice.

"We're all counting on you," Mark said with a forced smile before returning to his own paperwork.

The tension in the room was palpable. Everyone knew the stakes of the case they were working on. It was the biggest case they'd had, for a new firm this was huge.

The gravity of the situation settled on Lynn's shoulders like a heavy cloak. She took a deep breath feeling the weight of the team's trust in her. "I won't let you down," she said, her voice steady.

"I know you won't," Mark replied, a hint of pride in his tone. "Now, go get some rest. We've got a big day ahead of us."

Lynn left the office feeling a mix of excitement and dread. The adrenaline was already starting to pump through her veins. She knew that when she woke up, it would be game time. As she stepped into the parking lot, she couldn't help but think about the possible outcomes. Would they finally catch the kidnapper, or would they walk into a trap? Either way, she was ready.

Lynn's day had been long and arduous, the kind that left a film of stress on her skin and a knot in her stomach. As a detective in the city's most notorious precinct, she had seen it all—the darkest corners of humanity and the stark reality of a system that often seemed to be failing those who needed it most. But she was determined to make a difference, one case at a time. Her passion for justice was a beacon that shone through the grime of her surroundings.


Finally she arrived at her apartment, the car seemed to be on auto pilot, because she was at the home in no time. Pulling into the parking garage of her apartment, she locked the doors and rode the elevator to the seventeenth floor. The doors of the elevator slid open with a soft ding, The air was cool and carried the faint scent of Lynn's perfume, a sweet floral bouquet that lingered like the echo of a laugh. She unlocked the door and stepped inside, walked over and dropped the briefcase on the desk, stretched out on the couch and turned on the television, Miami Vice was playing on Pluto, seemed as good of a show as any, She just needed the noise to break the silence. The apartment felt cold and empty. That could be the reason she worked so much, she kicked her shoes off and curled her legs under her, flipped through the channels and ended up on The Rookie, she loved Tim and Lucy, the awkward tension they shared was what made them real to her. Lynn watched for a while then, before she knew it fell asleep.

Liams day was spent driving up and down the side streets hoping to find the van. Several times he thought he spotted the van only to be disappointed. The day light faded and so Liam Pulled up to the Marriott and handed the keys to the valet. The Cheesecake Factory smelled good, and realizing he had not really eaten all day, he stepped out of the shade of the portico and started in the direction of the delicious smells. When he finally was seated he ordered the Club, and a cold iced tea. The waiter returned shortly. Traffic eased up on the street, tourists walked, took pictures, children laughed and music flooded the streets as the afternoon turned to evening. Liam finished his meal and decided to relax for a bit,and started walking down street a short ways not real sure where he was going. He decided that the beach would be a nice place to sit and unwind, so he started walking in the direction of the crashing waves. Eventually ending up at The Beach Bar, he ordered a Corona and stepped to the beach, it was relaxing listening to the sounds of the waves and the music in the background. Liam found a beach chair sat down and just watched the sunset. The last time he had watched the sunset was in Afghanistan, it wasn’t as peaceful and relaxing there. Thoughts drifted back to the girl and the van, where they could have gone. The tears in the girls eyes was the only image that he see now. He had to find her, just make sure she was safe. He watched the couples stroll up and down the beach, holding hands as the sun dipped below the horizon. As day turned to night the lights of the city systematically came on. Liam stood and walked back up the street to the main road and started back to the Marriott. As he walked he noticed a gray van parked in an alley. Could it be the one, he could not take that chance of not knowing. Liam slowly walked down the alley staying as close to the shadows as possible. The license plate came into view, taking the phone out of his pocket,and opening pictures he compared the plate to the one in the photograph. It was the one, the red smudge of paint on the door was even visible. Liam checked the mirror, the van appeared empty, so he stepped closer to the driver’s window, using the mirror to check the rest of the compartment. He walked around to the passenger side and eased the side door open. It was empty except for a child’s backpack. The same one the girl was wearing, he photographed the backpack in the van, then the interior of the van as well. Putting his phone in his pocket he reached in grabbed the backpack and closed the door as quietly as possible. Just as he was about to latch the door the man from the Marriott appeared at the front of the vehicle.
“Hey what are you doing?” the man yelled.
Liam tried to think of something quickly.



“I saw a man climbing out of here carrying a small backpack. He got away but dropped the bag.”

The man looked at Liam suspiciously, then grabbed him by the arm.

“I don’t believe you. Now let’s try this again. What are you doing messing with my van?”

Liam spun and struck the man as hard as he could with a closed fist. The man released him and stumbled backwards. Liam Charged at the large man, only to have the man step out of the way and allow Liam to tumble in a heap on the asphalt. He pushed himself up on his hands and knees, the man planted a solid foot to his ribs, knocking the wind out of Liam. He rolled and stood up as fast as he could, every breath now hurt. Liam prepared to defend himself, the man stood back and smiled. Then, suddenly, a searing pain in the back of Liam’s head and everything went dark.

Lynn just got in the office, when her phone rang.

“Chief Security, Lynn speaking.”

“Lynn, JR, we have a situation down here at Kuhio Avenue near Ohia Waikiki Studio Suites this morning.”

“What kind of situation,”

“One of the patrols came across a man unconscious in the alley. He says he was following a child abduction, when he was assaulted. Did not see who hit him.”

“Okay I will be right there.”

Lynn got in the car and made her way to the scene, Liam was sitting on the tailgate of one of their patrol pickups. An ice pack pressed against the side of his head, blood ran across his cheek and on his shirt.

“Looks like you made somebody angry.”

“I guess I have that habit.”

“So tell me what happened?”

“Shouldn’t you get the police involved?”




“Oh we will, but since this happened on one of my companies patrols, I am responsible for the preliminary investigation. The police have been notified and are aware of the incident. If they believe it warrants an HPD Officer then they will send one over. Now Mr. Varon, what happened.”

Liam began to explain about the van he had seen and that he had saw the same van in the alley and decided to check it out, to make sure it was the same van.

“So I walked up beside the van no one was inside so I opened the side door to see if I could find any evidence of the little girl. That is when the guy from the Marriott came out and saw me. He had me at a disadvantage, he grabbed me right arm, and I only had my left arm free which is my weaker arm so I hit him as hard as I could. It was enough to make him stumble and let go, but that was about it.”

“So we have breaking and entering, assault what else.”

“After I hit him I went to tackle him and he stepped out of the way, I fell, he kicked me in my ribs, when I stood up, I felt a searing pain in my head, and everything went black.”

“Do you have any proof that there was a little girl anywhere near the van?”

Liam looked around the backpack was partially hidden under a pile of debris that he had fallen against. He grabbed the backpack and handed it to Lynn.

“This is the backpack that I found in the van. The girl was wearing it at The Marriott.”

“OK so lets say I believe you, how do you know that this was the same van?”

“I took a picture of it to get the license plate.” Liam retrieved the phone from his pocket and pulled the photo up. Lynn looked at it and asked.

“Did you notice the girls face in the back window?”

Liam looked at the photo, he had not seen the face till now.

“No, I was trying to stay close to the van at least until I hit your car.”



“So that is why you were in such a hurry?”

“Yes, and I apologize for that.”

“Okay Mr. Varon you took a pretty good blow to the back of your head, and I am going to need you to go with the EMT. You are going to need stitches, and to get your ribs looked at. So I will follow up with HPD and inform them of the situation. I will check in with you at the hospital later today.”

Lynn motioned to the EMT she was done, so they lifted the gurney into the ambulance and closed the doors. She watched as they rounded the corner and disappeared. Still holding the little girls backpack, she wondered if it could part of the same incident that Mr. Murphy was dealing with before she spoke with him. She gathered information from the responding patrol, and then returned to the office to fill out the proper paperwork for the police. Makayla made copies for the files before handing it over to the Honolulu Police Department. Officer Millus took the report and promised to follow up on the kidnapping investigation, providing there was a kidnapping.

Lynn sat at her desk thinking about what Liam had said, it had to be tied to the emergency at the Marriott. She dialed the number for the Marriott and asked to speak with Mr. Murphy.

“This is Steve.”

“Steve, Lynn Nesher, we spoke the other day about the security services for the Marriott?”

“Yes How are doing Lynn?”

“Good thank you, listen I am calling because I had a question about the other day. I know you had an emergency when we had our meeting, and it maybe just a coincidence, but did it have anything to do with the disappearance of a young girl?”

“ I cant really give out that information Lynn I am sorry.”

“I understand, but I may have some information that is relevant if that was the case.”

“You will have to take that up with the HPD, they are looking into that incident. That’s really all I can say at his time.”

“Thank you Steve you really have been a big help, and I look forward to hearing from on the service contract.”
Lynn hung up the phone, so these two were tied together. This now had her interest, time to go see Liam maybe he could help with a little more detail. She drove to the hospital where he had been transferred in a room for observation for the next 24 hours. She walked to the desk, and found out which room he was in, then walked down the hall Liam looked up and motioned for her to come in.

“How are you feeling?”

“I have a splitting headache, but other than that OK I guess. Have you found out anything yet?”

“Yes and no.”

“What do you mean, its either yes and no.”

“I talked to Mr. Murphy and could not give me anything because it was in the hands of the police, HPD will not comment on an ongoing case so, That tells me that the two are somehow connected. Do you have any more information that might help?”

“Unfortunately no, I haven’t had much time or luck the last few days to do anything.”

Lynn sat for a while going over everything that Liam had told her earlier, Liam recounted the whole scene.

“How are you so detail oriented, most people wouldn’t even remember the color of the van.”

“I was a 31D, Criminal Investigation Division Special Agent in the Army.”

“You didn’t join the NCIS, or the FBI.”

“Nah, when I got injured in Afghanistan it was the end of the line for me. I had seen too much death and not enough reunions. I decided that I would forget that part of my life and move on, but old habits are hard to break. Especially when children are involved.”

He and Lynn sat in an awkward silence for a while.

“So how’s the novel coming along?”

“Not very well still haven’t found a decent laptop anywhere.”


Both of them smiled.

“Well I have to get back to the office, Barbara and JR will probably be wondering where I have gotten off to. Here is my card, if you want to call I will give you updates.”

Liam took the card and laid it on the table beside the bed.

“I would really like to help, do you think that is possible?”

“Let me see what I can do.”

It would be nice to have an experienced investigator to work with, she thought as she walked from the room and back to her car.

Back at the office she tasked Makayla with preparing the next few days shift rotations. Lynn pulled up the information she had and began combing through what is and is not allowed by the security firms. Chief Security was not allowed to directly investigate missing children but would be allowed to hire an independent investigator. So for Liam to be able to help he would have to be a licensed independent investigator. He already had the credentials, he just needed the licensing. If he would agree to letting her help with the licensing process he could investigate and not be breaking the law.

Liam sat in the hospital bed thinking over the events of the last few days, he must have stumbled onto something more than just an individual missing girl. He now knew he had to keep going on this, the property he came here for would have to wait, he had the room for two months, surely in that amount of time he could make a large amount of progress. Nurses filed in and out of the room throughout the morning, taking vitals, drawing blood, and then wheeling him to x-ray and MRI. The day seemed to drag on, he felt helpless, and that was the worst feeling. The nurses were nice and seemed to always be in the room checking on him, it became obvious that they were flirting and Liam was flattered. At shift change the parade of nurses started over, just different faces. One of the nurses from the previous shift came back in to visit,She introduced herself again.

“Mr. Varon, my name is Samantha. I just wanted to come by and see if you would like some company for a little while? I visit with patients who are here by themselves. I know how hard it can be in a hospital with no one to talk to.”

She was a cute Brunette maybe 29 with green eyes and shoulder length hair. Her tan was not from a bottle, he learned that on the island a spray on tan was like an insult. She noticed his accent, and asked where he was from.

“Texas, born and raised.”

“What part? I have family in Texas.”

“Northern Panhandle, till recently I was living in Quanah, working as the Plant Manager for Georgia Pacific. They closed the plant and I decided I need a change of scenery.”

“My parents are from Odessa, my father worked the oilfield all his life, my mother was a school teacher at Ector County Elementary.”

“My father worked the oilfield as well, he died when the oil rig he was on exploded, I was 15, so my mom went to work waiting tables to make sure I had a good life. I miss them everyday.”

“Well Mr. Varon I hope you get better and I will see you when I come back on shift tomorrow.”

“It was a pleasure meeting you Samantha, please call me Liam.”

The nurse on duty came in shortly after Samantha left, and took his blood pressure, checked his eyes for dilation and smiled at him with a sort of awkward smile.

“What was that look for?”

“Getting familiar with the nurses are we?”

“She stopped by to visit, says that she visits other patients that don’t have family as well.”

“And you believed her, that must have been a real blow to the head you took.”

Liam smiled, the nurse just shook her head.

“Would like to order dinner now, the kitchen is open?”

“Yes, could I get BLT club, and some fries?”

“I think we can manage that. Room service will bring it up in a bit. Would like something to drink?”

“Maybe a Dr.Pepper if you have it.”

“I guess that would be okay.”

The nurse walked out and Liam laid back and began to think about the conversation with Samantha.
‘Why was it so ease to talk to her?’
He told her more than he had anyone else. Was it her bubbly demeanor, or the way her green eyes sparkled as he talked to her.

‘Man am I really in that much need of attention.’ he thought.

His BLT Club showed up, and he suddenly felt famished, it was like he hadn’t eaten in a week. Honestly he had not eaten since last night, no wonder he was so hungry. He finished the sandwich, slid the tray out of the way and settled in for the night.


The next morning Liam sat up in the bed, waiting for the charge nurse to come by maybe they would release him.

“Well Mr Varon, how are we feeling?”

“I’m Okay, just ready to get out of here.”

“What, you don’t like my company? Should I send Samantha in?”
“I didn’t say that, I am just ready to get back to the outside world. Besides I think you are beautiful.”

“ Don’t try and soften me up, I am a happily married woman.”

“And your husband is a lucky man to have such a woman as you.”

Liam could see a little pink show up on her cheeks.

“On That note, the Doctor said that you are good to be released, No concussion, and the ribs will heal but gonna be sore for a bit. He does recommend a follow up with your primary in the next three weeks, you do have a primary doctor right?”

“No I just moved here haven’t even thought about that.”

“Well now might be a good time to look into it.”
“Okay, I will do that.”

“So as soon as registration finishes the paperwork you will be done.”

“Sounds good, Thank you.”

“You can go ahead and get changed.” the nurse said as she closed the curtain and stepped out of the room.

Liam slid off the bed, grabbed the bag marked personal belongings and began to change back into his clothes. The shirt still covered in blood was stiff and he realized that he needed a ride back to the hotel. The registration nurse came in and had him sign several pages then led him to the exit. He stepped out into the bright island sun and squinted allowing his eyes to adjust. He hailed a cab and went to the hotel. As he reached the penthouse his phone rang, it was Lynn.

“Hello.”

“Hey, it’s Lynn, are you available to talk. I have a proposal I want too run passed you.”

“I just got to the hotel and need a shower and some clean clothes, but after that sure. You want to come by or do you want to meet somewhere?”

“No, I will come there. I think you will like what I have to say. See you in say an hour and half.”

“That works, see you then.”

Liam hung up the phone and opened the door, someone had been in the room, he was sure of it, and not just housekeeping. The drawer to his desk was left a slight bit open, and the papers had been shuffled around on the top of the desk. He eased his way to the bedroom, and quietly checked before entering, then the bathroom, no one there. Now he was convinced that this was more than just one incident of kidnapping. He grabbed a change of clothes and showered quick, it felt like a month since he had taken a shower. As he finished his shower and was getting dressed there was a knock at the door. Liam walked over and opened the door.

“Mr. Varon I am sorry to bother you, but I need to ask if you any information about a little girl that went missing a few nights ago,” Mr Murphy asked.



“Actually I do, come on in.”

Liam walked over the sofa and offered Mr. Murphy a seat. He then relayed everything that had happened over the last few days to him, telling him about the van, and how he had spotted later, and that he ended up in the hospital.

“The girls parents are in pieces, her name is Zoe Holden. Her family isn’t wealthy they were just on vacation.”

Liam leaned in, “I will do some digging and see if I can come up with anything more.”

“No that’s not necessary, the police are working on it now, but I thought any information could help. There is no reason for you to get hurt again.”

Mr. Murphy thanked Liam for the information and left, Lynn stepped off the elevator just as Steve was leaving Liam’s penthouse.

“Hello Mrs. Nesher. Anything new.”

“Not yet Steve, but I have a few things in the process, we will know something shortly I am certain.”

Lynn smiled and watched as Steve stepped into the elevator and the doors closed. Liam was standing in the door of the penthouse, she never realized how handsome he was till now, the white t-shirt showing the muscular frame beneath it, the black slacks accentuating his solid waist, the true size of his arms showed as he leaned one arm on the door frame and the other on his hip. A smile crossed her face in that instant Liam spoke.

“Are you going to stand there or come on in?”

Lynn did not realize she hadn’t even taken a step since turning around from the elevator. She felt her face flush as she walked nervously hoping he hadn’t seen how school girl embarrassed she was.

“So, what is this proposal you have?” he asked as she stepped in the room.

“My thoughts are this, since you have the qualifications to be a independent investigator, I will help you obtain your private investigators license and all the necessary certifications, then if you want we can start a Private Investigations firm. Then Chief Securities can contract you to investigate the missing child case. That way you are involved with the case and everything will be legal.”

“I like the sound of that, but I don’t want you be out the money, I can’t stand being indebted to anyone.”

“Think of it like this, I am your financier, the business will be yours, and I get 20% of the profits till the full amount is paid off.”

“So I would only be contracting to you, and would be able to contract with others as well.”

“Absolutely, you would not be exclusive to Chief but we would be glad to have an open contract for services in the future.”

“You know I kind of like the sound of that. You have a deal, so where do we start?”

“I have all the necessary paperwork here, you just need to fill in your information so we can get a legal name for the business and then we will finish the rest following.”

“You were pretty confident I was going to say yes,” He said smiling.

“The way you were about that missing girl showed me enough to know that this is something that means something to you. If that is the case you would not miss an opportunity to do something about it.”

Liam knew she was right, but could not tell her the reasoning behind it, not yet. It was hard for him to trust people. They spent the next couple of hours finalizing paperwork and setting schedules for licensing.

“I will get all of this filed today, I should be able to expedite most of it, that way tomorrow we can actually begin to investigate.”

“WE can investigate?” Liam said smiling.

“What you don’t expect me to just sit back and let you have the adventure do you?”

Liam smiled, knowing full well she was invested in this just as much as he was.

“Would you care to join me for dinner ,I have been eating hospital food for the last couple of days, and would really appreciate the company?”

“Let me check and see if I have any pressing business first, I will call you and let you let you know.”

“That’s fine. If you can’t I understand.”

Lynn walked to the elevator and pressed the button.
“So I will see you about seven, is that OK?”

“That’s fine,”Lynn said without thinking, “as long as I don’t have anything come up.” She quickly added.

The elevator door opened and she quickly stepped in and pushed the button. Liam turned and walked back to the room, she could not help but be drawn to his backside, the way the dress pants accentuated his physique, the doors closed and she let out a long breath.

Lynn returned to the office, and began uploading all the paperwork, Makayla stepped in.

“Is there anything you need from me, Mrs. Nesher?”

“No, Thank You Makayla. Do You have plans for this evening?”

“My fiance and I are going to hike to Manoa Falls, it was where we went on our first date.”

“That is romantic, I hope you two have fun.”

“What about you?”

“Well I am not sure Liam wants me to have dinner with him, but I don’t know if I should.”

“Of course you should,” Barbara voices came down the hall.

“The last thing even close to a date was the evening at the beach where you gave Poor Jason the cold shoulder.”

“I did not give him the cold shoulder.”

Makayla laughed and said good night, Barbara walked in and sat down in one of the over stuffed chairs in Lynn’s office.


“If that wasn’t a cold shoulder I don’t know what is.”

“What just because I didn’t jump into bed with the guy.”

“That is not what I meant. You should go out with him, take a break, maybe have a little fun for a change.”

“He is cute,” Lynn admitted.

“See, I knew it. So what made you change your mind.”

“I haven’t, I am not looking for a relationship, but maybe it is time I did something other than work.”

“You did go see him today, right.”

“Yes, and he was all on board with the Investigation Service.”

“Great, now what are you wearing?”

“I don’t know, I haven’t thought about it.”

“Girl we have to get you home and dressed, you don’t want this man to be disappointed.”

Barb grabbed Lynn’s hand and dragged her out to the car, when they arrived at Lynn’s apartment Barb was acting like a school girl getting ready for prom.


Liam was not sure what the appropriate dress was for a date, it had been a while since he wanted to impress anybody. He needed help, blue jeans and dirty boots were not gonna be appropriate wear. ‘Koa,’ she seemed like someone who would know. He slipped on a pair of Hey Dudes and went down to the men’s shop.

The door chimed as he walked in and a young man spoke from around behind a shelf somewhere.

“What can I help you with today sir?”

“I’m looking for Koa, is she around?”

“She is off today, is there anything I get for you?”

“Do you by chance have her number, this is sort of an emergency.”

“I can’t give you that number, company policy.”
“Could by chance call her and see if she would be available? I would really appreciate it.”

“Let me see what I can do.” The young man walked to the service counter and picked up the phone.After a minutes he came back over and spoke to Liam.

“She said she could be her in about 45 minutes if your willing to wait.”

“Thank you, you are a life saver.”

Liam wondered around the store, the young man watched him suspiciously. Koa came in and spotted Liam immediately.

“Mr. Varon, Teddy said that this was an emergency is everything alright?” Koa asked concerned.

“I have a really problem and I thought maybe you could help.”

“Certainly what is the matter.”

“I am so used to wearing jeans and work shirts that I have no clue how to dress for a real date. Do you think with all your fashion expertise, you could help me out?”

Koa laughed, he was as nervous as a school boy on his first day at a new school.

“Let’s get to work.”

She zipped around the store picking out pants and shirts, belts, looking at his shoes trying to decide what would best fit him. After several suit changes she settled on a pair of Martini gray dress pants, and a turquoise blue short sleeved dress shirt that accentuated his biceps, for shoes the Gatsby Oxford Derby black Leather. Liam dressed and stepped from the dressing room. Koa smiled at her success, Teddy appeared around the corner and said.

“That color really does bring out the blue in his eyes. Looking sharp Mr. Varon.”

Liam smiled, looking in the mirror he almost did not recognize himself.

“Koa my dear you are a magician.”

Koa smiled, Liam gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. He paid the bill and handed Koa an extra three hundred dollars, then gave Teddy a hundred.

“The two of you don’t realize how much you have done for me right now. Thank you.”

Liam went back to the room grabbed his watch and keys then called Lynn. The phone rang a couple of times before Lynn answered.

“Hey it’s Liam, just wanted to make sure that we are still on for dinner?”

Lynn looked at Barb who was listening in smiling.

“Looks like your in luck I don’t have anything else today so I will see you soon.”

“Okay, send me your address and I will see you shortly.”

Liam hung up the phone and waited for the notification. HE was just about to get in the truck but then noticed the gray van again. It turned out of the parking lot, and made its way down the street, he stayed a ways back and watched every turn. The van pulled into a convenience store and the driver got out. Liam parked across the street and watched as the driver began to pump gas. Liam noticed that he was wearing a uniform of some sort, but could not make out the company. Pulling into the parking lot of the convenience store, he got out and walked in. The guy in the van started walking toward the store, Liam ducked back behind a shelf, and waited the door chimed and the man walked over grabbed a pack of spearmint gum then walked toward the counter. Liam was able to clearly see the shirt, it said Waikiki Beach Resort, as turned to go back out Liam made his way to the counter. He stepped up to the attendant slid a pack of gum to him and asked.

“That guy come in here often?”

“Pretty much every day at this time, always a pack of gum. Why do you ask?”

“He almost hit me pulling out of the parking lot at the resort.”

“Oh, yeah he is kind of a jerk.”

“Do you be chance know his name?”

“Just what is on his shirt. His name is Paul, he works in the maintenance department at the resort.”

“Thanks you been a big help. Keep the change,” he said watching the van pull away. arriving at Lynn’s apartment, he made his way up to her apartment. He knocked on her door and waited. The door opened and Lynn stood just inside wearing a white and blue floral sundress, Liam felt his jaw drop.

“Wow, you look amazing,” he said.

“Not what you expected?”

“I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m sorry that sounded rude.”

Barbara laughed from behind the door, Liam turned.

“Is this your sister?”

Lynn laughed this time.

“No, but just as close. That is my Best friend and partner Barbara. Her and her husband JR helped start Chief Security.”

“Pleasure to meet you.” Liam said extending his hand.

“Like wise,” Barb said shaking his hand.
“You two should get going, don’t let me stand in the way.”

Liam stuck out his elbow toward Lynn, “Shall we,” he said. Lynn placed her hand in the bend of his elbow and they started out the door.

“You two have fun,” Barb said as they were leaving.

“Yes Mom,” Lynn snipped.


“I hope you don’t mind I made reservations at the Livestock Tavern. I wasn’t sure what your culinary tastes were.”

“I love the Livestock Tavern. I think their Country Fried Steak and eggs is the best.” Lynn said before thinking about it.

“Sounds like a winner then.”

The drive was scattered with conversation and small talk. As they reached the restaurant Liam hesitantly mentioned that he had seen the van again.

“Where?” Lynn asked.

“At the Grab-n-go, he was getting gas. I went into the store to see if I could get a better view of him. I did find out that he works in the maintenance department at the Marriott.”

“Great now we have a starting point.”

“Yes, but not till tomorrow, tonight is about relaxing. I haven’t had an opportunity to relax in a long time.”

Lynn agreed tomorrow would be about work, tonight about life. Liam pulled in to the parking garage, got out and opened the door for Lynn.

“Hope you don’t mind walking a bit.”

“Not at all, it is a wonderful evening.”

The restaurant was a little crowded, but fortunately Liam had made reservations for an outdoor patio seat so they could both enjoy the night air. He pulled out Lynn’s chair and allowed her to get comfortable,then sat down just as the waiter came by.

“Can start you with a drink order?”

“I will have a sweet tea, Lynn how bout you?”

“I will have an Arnold Palmer.”

“Very good,” the waiter replied.

“So what was it like growing up in Texas?” Lynn asked.

“It was OK I guess. I mean football on Friday nights, when the football season was over, I had friends that were into rodeo so I would go watch that.”

“Not a rodeo kind of guy huh?”

“No, don’t see the point of tying myself to the back of a 1500 pound beast just to prove a point.”

Lynn laughed, she never understood that either.
“So what was it like growing up here on the island?” Liam asked.

“Oh I didn’t grow up here, I too am a transplant. I grew up in Arizona. In the mountains as a matter of fact.”

“Really, so what was that like?”

“I guess you could say I was underprivileged. My dad was a Army Vet who worked as a Maintenance Technician for the local high school, My mom was a stay at home mom who made sure that me and siblings had everything we needed.”

“That don’t sound like to bad of a life if you ask me.”

“Yeah, I guess it was nice.”

“So how many siblings do you have?”

“I Have 2 brothers, 2 sisters, 2 half brothers and a half sister.”

“Wow your parents must have been very patient.”

“To a point, Dad was the one we all listened to, mom was the one we all feared.”

“Really?”

“Yeah you do not want to see that little Navajo woman angry. I think even Dad was scared of her. How many siblings do you have?”

“None,my parents only had me.”

“Ah, the spoiled only child.”

“No, I could only wish. My dad was an oilfield worker, he worked twelve and fourteen hour days most of the time so I hardly saw him, but on his days off he would always take me the lake and we would fish, and he would try and teach me some of life’s lessons.”

“Like what?”

“I think the big ones for me were 1. be a gentleman- open doors, stand when a woman approaches at dinner, things like that, 2. Keep your word, never go back on a promise. 3. Handle loss-sports and games are preparation for loss in work and relationships. Those types of things.”

“What about your mom?”

“Mom stayed at home till dad passed, then she waited tables, even though we had a settlement form the Oil Company. She always said that a person should never depend on some else to take the responsibility for your life. She also showed me how to be strong and gentle at the same time. When she passed it was like loosing a piece of my soul.”

Lynn could see the tears start to well up, as he talked. The meal arrived just in time, or else she might have started crying. They talked about life in general and what brought Liam to the island. He told her of the land that he had heard was in his parents name and never knew that they had even came to Hawaii. The conversation drifted back and forth. Liam called the waiter over and paid their tab, them the two of them walked down the street enjoying the evening air, listening to the music that drifted in from various clubs and street musicians. As they walked Liam reached over and grabbed Lynn’s hand, his hand was warm, strong and confident, he was definitely a man who knew what he wanted. She could see that he was a take charge individual, and just in the short time she knew that he was a protector. But she also knew that there was something he was not telling her. She didn’t want to pry, if he wanted her to know he would tell her. Liam smiled, his blue eyes were like aquamarine clear and inviting, his smile made her a little weak in the knees.

‘God I cant let this happen,’ she thought.
‘I can’t let myself get this close yet. I don’t even know him really.’

“Would like to join me for a walk on the beach, the moon is beautiful tonight.”

“Okay,” was all she could mutter.

Liam opened the door and helped her in the truck, then they drove to Ala Moana Regional Park, parked the truck and the two of them walked over to the beach. Liam knelt down and took off his shoes, The sand was cool between his toes. Lynn pulled her shoes off and joined him.

“I tell you the beach sand sure feels different on your feet than lake sand.”

Lynn chuckled, she loved how it felt on her feet, something about it was just relaxing. The waves crashing on the shore and the bells of the buoys clanging almost sounded musical, somehow it blended in with the music from the pavilion where a local band was putting on a concert. Once again Liam grabbed her hand and the two of them walked just enjoying the air and the sounds. Then he stopped and turned around to face her

“I really hope you have had a good time tonight.”

“With out a doubt,” she said almost whispering.

“It has been so long since I have been on a date that I wasn’t sure I could go through with it. But when I saw you at the door I knew I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to get to know you more.” he said as he placed his hand on the small of her back.

“I am glad you didn’t back out.” Lynn answered stepping closer to him.

“I know this is rather unorthodox, but I am going to kiss you now,” he said, pulling her closer, “You can stop me if you want.”

His voice trailed off as his lips met hers. She didn’t want to stop him, she wanted him to hold her longer. His muscular arms felt like a safe haven around her. Her knees were quivering, she was putty in his hands. He leaned back and looked her in the eyes, those soft, gentle blue eyes held her gaze for an eternity.

“Hey you two, you cant be here, beach hours ended an hour ago,” a voice from the darkness barked.

Suddenly a bright light struck both of them in the face.
“You are going to have to leave,” the voice said coming
closer.

Lynn recognized the voice.

“JR is that you? What are you doing patrolling the beach you are supposed to be home with Barb?”

“Lynn, I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you. Yes I am, but Garshen called off and I had to fill in. Couldn’t find any one else in such a short time.”

“Oh, Liam this is JR, Barbara’s husband. JR, Liam Varon he will be helping us investigate a couple of things.”

JR smiled and shook Liam’s hand, Liam smiled back.

“I’ll Let you two be, just don’t stay too long,” he smiled.
“Thank you, we won’t,” Lynn answered.

“Well maybe it’s time we called it a night what do you say?”

“Probably, we both have things to do in the morning.”

Liam picked up both of their shoes and the two of them walked back to the truck. The drive to Lynn’s apartment seemed much shorter this time. He opened the door and walked her to the front door of the building, leaned in and gave her a peck on the cheek.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” he asked.

“Yes, the office opens at eight, any time after that will be fine.”

“OK see you tomorrow,” he said letting go of her hand as he walked back to the truck. Lynn stepped inside the entry way, almost falling her knees, they were still shaking so bad. The elevator ride up gave her a little time to calm down. As the elevator door opened, Barb was standing at the door. She nearly yanked Lynn in to the apartment.

"So, how was it?"

The question hung in the air like a gossamer thread, delicate and eager. Liam and Lynn looked at each other, sharing a knowing smile that spoke of secrets and whispers shared under the moon's soft glow. They had just stepped into the quiet, plush lobby of their apartment building, the soles of their shoes kissing the marble floor with a muffled sound.

"It was..." Lynn began, her voice trailing off as she searched for the right words. It was amazing," she replied, a girlish grin spreading across her face.

Barb's eyes lit up, her anticipation palpable. She leaned against the door frame, her curiosity piqued. "Tell me everything," she urged, a knowing smile playing on her lips. Lynn couldn't help but laugh, her cheeks flushing a soft pink.

"Well, it started with dinner at that fancy new place downtown," Lynn began, her voice low and conspiratorial. "You know, the one with the view of the city lights?"

Barb nodded, her own eyes sparkling with curiosity. "What happened there?"

"He was so charming," Lynn gushed, her hands moving animatedly as she spoke. "We talked for hours about our favorite books, our families, our dreams. It was like he could see right into my soul."

Barb leaned back into the cushions of the sofa, a smug look on her face. "And then what?"

Lynn took a deep breath, her smile growing. "After dinner, he suggested we take a walk on Waikiki Beach. It was so romantic. The waves were whispering sweet nothings to the shore, and the moon cast this perfect glow on the sand."

Barb's eyes widened. "Oh no, don't tell me you kissed him!"

"Better than that," Lynn said, her voice filled with excitement. "He kissed me. It was like something out of a movie. Soft, gentle, like he'd been waiting for this moment forever."

Barb clapped her hands together. "Oh my gosh, and then what?"

Lynn's expression fell slightly. "And then your husband showed up."

"What?!"

"Yeah, he was on patrol. Didn't even recognize us. Told us to get off the beach."

Barb rolled her eyes. "I'll kill him."

"No, no, it's fine," Lynn said quickly. "He was just doing his job. Then Liam brought me home after."

Barb's expression softened. "So, what now?"

Lynn shrugged, a small smile returning to her face. "I don't know. But it was definitely a night to remember.”

Liam woke up to the persistent beeping of his alarm clock, his mind groggy with the weight of a restless night's sleep. He rolled over, swiping at the offending device with a hand that felt like it was made of lead. The room was bathed in the soft glow of early morning light, the shadows playing tricks on his tired eyes. The clock read 6 AM, and Liam groaned. He had a meeting with Chief Security at 8 AM, and the last thing he needed was to arrive looking like he'd just survived a zombie apocalypse.

After a quick shower and a pot of black coffee, Liam made his way to the office. The streets were still mostly empty, save for a few early birds and the occasional delivery van. The quiet was a stark contrast to the sound of sounds that would fill the city in just a few short hours. As he approached the imposing building that housed the Chief Security offices, his stomach fluttered with a mix of excitement and nerves.

Liam was a man of few words and fewer friends. He preferred the solitude of his beachside apartment, where the steady hum of the waves outside served as his only companion. A former cop turned private investigator, he had seen more than his fair share of the darker side of Honolulu. His days were spent in a lazy routine of coffee, surveillance, and the occasional trip to the gym to keep his body sharp for the job.

Lynn, on the other hand, was a screwed business woman with a reputation for sniffing out a lie faster than the scent of plumeria on a trade wind. Her fiery spirit and unrelenting determination had earned her a following, but also a few enemies. She had a nose for injustice and a heart that bled for the lost. The disappearance of 12-year-old Noalani from the Marriott Resort had hit her hard, and she was determined to uncover the truth.

She laid a photo of the gray van onto the table. "This is the last thing Noalani was seen with. I need your help to find it."

Liam studied the grainy image, the edges frayed from countless copies made and handed out. The van looked like a ghostly apparition, a silent witness to the horror that had unfolded. "You think it's connected to her disappearance?" he asked, his voice a low rumble.

Lynn leaned in, her voice a fierce. "Everything points to it. Your an eyewitness, plus the lack of any other leads... it's like it swallowed her whole." She paused, her eyes searching his. "I need you on this, Liam."

He sighed, the weight of the unspoken truth hanging in the air between them. He picked up the photo, his fingers tracing the outline of the van. "Alright," he said. "But we go by my rules."

Their first stop was the Marriott Resort, a gleaming bastion of luxury that seemed to stand in stark contrast to the shadowy underbelly of the city. The lobby was a whirlwind of tourists and bellhops, the air thick with the scent of tropical flowers and sunscreen. They made their way to the security office, where they hoped to find the original CCTV footage.

The security guard, a burly man with a name tag that read 'KAI', eyed them warily. "You guys with the cops?" he asked, his hand resting on the keyboard in front of him. Lynn flashed her press badge and a winning smile. "We're just trying to help," she said sweetly. "The family's desperate for any information."

Kai's expression softened, and he nodded, swiveling his chair to face the bank of monitors. "I've seen that van around here before," he said, clicking through the recorded footage. "But it's not like we can track every vehicle that passes through."

Liam leaned over his shoulder, his eyes scanning the screens. "Show me the night Noalani went missing," he instructed. Kai complied, fast-forwarding through the hours until the timestamp matched the night in question. The van appeared, a blurry smudge against the backdrop of the resort's parking lot. Liam's gaze narrowed as he spotted the license plate. That's it, Liam pulled out his phone and compared the images. Even the red smudge on the rear door matched. "Run that plate."
Kai fervently typed the number int the computer, within a few seconds he said, "It`s registered to a Caesar Sandoval."

"Do have an address?"

Kai grabbed a pen and jotted it down.

Liam took the piece of paper and stood up. "Thanks for your help," he said, his voice brusque.

"Hang on," Lynn said, placing a hand on his arm. "We should talk to the staff, see if anyone saw anything."

Liam nodded, tucking the address into his pocket. They spent the next few hours interviewing employees, from the cleaning staff to the night manager. Each spoke of the van in hushed tones, their faces tight with the memory of that fateful night. The van had been parked in the far corner of the lot, its engine purring like a sleeping beast. Several had noticed a man pacing around it, but no one had thought to report it.

The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting the resort in a warm, golden glow, by the time they had gathered enough information. They stepped out into the night, the air cooler now, carrying the scent of the ocean. Lynn looked up at the stars, her mind racing. "We need to talk to this Caesar Sandoval," she said, her voice firm.

Liam nodded, his eyes scanning the area. "Let's not go in blind. We need to know what we're walking into." He checked the address Kai had given them, a nondescript house on the outskirts of the city. They decided to pay a visit to the local precinct first, to see if there was anything on file about Sandoval that could help them prepare.

Liam squinted against the glare of the setting sun, the world around him a wash of reds and oranges as it dipped below the horizon.

"You sure this is the place?" he asked, eyeing the dilapidated house warily.

Lynn nodded, double-checking the address. "It matches what Kai gave us."

They approached the house cautiously, the crunch of gravel under their feet echoing in the quiet evening. The house was a two-story structure with peeling paint and boarded-up windows, giving off an eerie vibe. The front door looked as if it hadn't been opened in years, a thick layer of dust coating the doorknob.

"Hold up," Liam murmured, reaching into his pocket for a pair of gloves. He didn't want to leave any fingerprints behind. Lynn nodded in understanding, her own hand slipping into her pocket to grasp her phone, ready to call for backup if needed.

They approached the door, and Liam tried the knob. To their surprise, it turned with an eerie creak, revealing a dimly lit hallway. The air was stale, carrying a faint scent of mildew and decay. They exchanged a look, and without a word, Lynn gave him the signal to proceed.

They moved through the house with the grace of shadows, their steps silent on the worn-out carpet. The interior was as neglected as the outside, with cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and a thick layer of dust covering every surface. Each room they passed had the same abandoned feel, the only sound their own breathing and the occasional drip of water from a leaky pipe.

In the kitchen, they found a table with a map spread out, covered in coffee stains and notes scribbled in a hasty hand. Liam squinted at the writing, trying to make sense of it. "It looks like delivery routes," he murmured. "This could be how Sandoval keeps tabs on his operations."

Lynn nodded, her eyes narrowing as she studied the map. "Let's take some pictures and get out of here before someone notices us."

As they moved through the house, they found more evidence of a sophisticated operation: a makeshift office with a computer and a safe, a closet filled with weapons, and a basement that had been converted into a temporary holding cell. Their gut feeling grew stronger - they were on the right track.

As they were about to leave, the sound of an engine grew louder outside. Lynn's hand flew to her gun, and she pushed Liam against the wall. "Someone's coming," she whispered urgently. They had to decide quickly - stay and confront whoever it was, or retreat and come back with backup. The tension grew as the engine cut off, and they heard the crunch of footsteps approaching the house.

They chose to hide in the shadows of the living room, peeking through a crack in the boarded-up window. Two figures emerged from the darkness, one tall and lanky, the other short and stocky. They wore dark clothing and had their faces obscured by balaclavas. Liam recognized the shorter one immediately - it was Paul. His heart raced as he realized they were in more danger than they had anticipated.

"You know, Liam," Lynn said, her voice low and measured, "this place gives me the creeps."

Liam nodded, his eyes never leaving the crack in the boarded-up window. "It's just an old house," he murmured, trying to keep his own nerves in check.

The taller figure paused, cocking his head as if listening for any signs of life within. Lynn's grip on her gun tightened, her knuckles white. The air in the room had anticipation, and Liam could feel his pulse hammering in his ears. The silence was so profound that even the sound of their own breathing seemed like a roar. Then, as suddenly as it had come, the moment broke. The two men continued their approach, the crunch of gravel beneath their boots echoing through the quiet night.

Liam felt a cold sweat bead on his forehead as he watched them enter the house. He recognized the ease with which they moved; they were no strangers to this place. The tall one, who had to be Marcus, led the way, flashlight in hand, sweeping the beam across the dusty floorboards. Paul followed close behind, his eyes scanning the room as if searching for something specific. Lynn's hand found Liam's and squeezed it reassuringly. He knew they had to act soon, or their chance to escape would be lost.

Their hearts pounded in unison as the men's footsteps grew closer. The floorboards creaked ominously under their weight, and Liam could feel the vibrations in his chest. They were in the hallway now, almost at the door to the living room. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for what was to come.

Lynn leaned in, her mouth to his ear. "We have to get out of here," she whispered urgently. "Now."
"You can't be serious," Liam exclaimed, his eyes wide with disbelief.

"Deadly serious," Lynn responded, her voice a hushed urgency. "They're almost here."

Liam's mind raced, the color draining from his face as he glanced around the room. The dusty bookshelves, the faded curtains, and the worn-out armchair all looked eerily still, as if they too were holding their breath. He knew the layout of the room, but in this moment, it was as if the walls had shifted, trapping them in a labyrinth of shadows and panic. His eyes darted to the window, the only escape route that wasn't blocked by the heavy oak bookshelves. It was a tight fit, but it was their only hope.

With a nod, he signaled to Lynn. They moved swiftly and silently, like two ghosts slipping through the gloom. As they approached the window, Liam could hear the rasp of their pursuers' breath and the harsh whisper of their hushed conversation. The knob of the living room door began to turn, and time seemed to slow down to a crawl. His heart thudded in his ears, drowning out the sound of his own breath.

He threw the window open, the cold night air rushing in and filling the room with the scent of rain and damp earth. The coolness of the metal latch was a stark contrast to the clammy heat of his palms. Lynn squeezed through first, her lithe form fitting easily through the narrow space. She turned, her eyes wide with fear, and reached back to help him. Her hand was cool and firm, a lifeline in the chaos.
© Copyright 2024 Dark Sniper (ghost_writer70 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325212-Sun-Kissed-Love-Chapter-2