*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325243-Yippee
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2325243
Flash Fiction
Yippee

“Why do they call it ice cream?” Johnny asked.

“Well” Granny started, “there’s cream in it, and it’s frozen, like ice.”

“But it’s not like ice cubes, or outside in the winter…”

“True, that ice is very hard, but that ice is made from water. Ice cream is made out of milk, usually… and milk doesn’t freeze so hard.”

“So, ice cream is just hard milk?” he asked quickly.

“No, it’s like milk and often has milk in it, but it’s a completely different thing. And before you even ask, no, you cannot use ice cream on your cereal in the morning!”

He smiled, “It sounded good…”

Granny smiled back, “Maybe some after lunch though…”

“Yippee!”

Granny put the rest of the groceries away. “So, thank you for going to the store with me. What do you want to do now? We could work in the flower garden…”

“Have lunch?”

“You just finished breakfast when we left for the store…”

“Well, you said we could have ice cream after lunch, so if we had lunch, then we could have the ice cream, right?”

Gramma got a look on her face. “You just reminded me of your mother.”

“Did she like ice cream when she was my age?”

“Yes, but that’s not why. You remind me of your mother because once she got an idea into her head she had a lot of trouble giving it up, like you and this ice cream issue.”

“But when we were at the store you asked me what was my favorite ice cream and I thought that was because we were going to get some. Now my insides keep yelling at me asking where’s the ice cream!”

“Yes,” Gramma had to laugh, “Exactly like your mother! OK, ice cream it is!”

“Yippee!!”
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325243-Yippee