*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325379-Video
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Family · #2325379
Lights, camera ...
"I'll never forget that day," Hemlata smiled reminiscently.

"Tell me all about it for the video, grandma," Dhaval said, holding up his smartphone.

"It was twenty years ago, almost to the day. My three grandchildren announced that they were going to put up a play for us. This was the first time the older two had let you be in a play, with you all of three years old."

Dhaval grinned. He didn't have an actual memory of the day, but his grandparents and their three children were all so fond of repeating the story that he knew every detail of it.

"Well, the three of you rehearsed for hours, and then performed in the living room. Ha ha! I still remember Medha, just seven, apparently dressed as a bride, and Ravi, a few months older, in his father's top hat. They announced they were in love and were going to have a courthouse wedding. It was just the sweetest thing ever, especially the fight they had over 'obey' in the vows, and how you said that when you grew up you weren't going to obey anyone."

Dhaval grinned again. He had captured the video of Hemlata just exactly as he had wanted too ... overlooking the ocean view that was so much part of his childhood.

He had almost turned the smartphone video off when his Uncle Jayant walked into the room. Now Uncle Jayant fancied himself a comedian and couldn't resist being videoed.

"You videoing Mom's memories for posterity? I'll give you some jokes as a comic interlude ... Have you heard the one about the Navy veteran and the school teacher?"

Dhaval had heard it before, but he didn't think his grandma had. Grandma didn't like her son's jokes very much, nor did she like being interrupted. Dhaval saw the look on her face. Uncle Jayant didn't notice it.

"Yes, dear," Hemlata said sweetly. "I have heard about the Navy veteran and the school teacher. They got married and had a son whom they named Jayant and whenever he interrupted them, they'd send him to bed without any dessert."

The video that marked the beginning of Dhaval's career in drama marked the end of Uncle Jayant's career as a comedian.
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI HAPPY WDC 24 (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325379-Video