*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325744-Rock-and-Roll
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2325744
Flash Fiction
Rock and Roll

“You can cross by walking on those rocks sticking up out of the water,” Dan called back to Angela as they came up to the stream.

“What?!” she said.

“Just walk on the rocks as if they were steps.”

“Steps?... They look too small…”

“Don’t step on the small ones, just the big ones.”

“What if they sink?”

“They’re rocks, if they were going to sink, they would have sunk already!”

“Because heavy frogs jump on them?? I don’t trust any of them.”

“They’ve been here for years! Why would they suddenly sink?”

“Because the bottom is soft dirt, because nobody ever stepped on them before, because they think it’s funny when human’s fall into the water?”

“You just don’t want to go over there, do you! We can go that way if you’re so scared…” he pointed.

“I’m not scared, I’m just being practical.”

“Haven’t you ever heard ‘solid as a rock’?”

“I’m not worried about the rock; I’m worried about what’s under the rock…”

“Watch and learn!” and he stepped on the first rock, and jumped up and down! “See? Solid as a… well, a rock!”

“Ok, I’ll just wait till you get across…”

“Sure!” off he stepped… three rocks later he yelled very loud as he fell, very quickly, into the water.

Angela panicked, but then, as he rolled over and stood up showing there wasn’t much water there, just about a foot, she burst out laughing.

“I’m soaked! This isn’t funny!”

Unfortunately, Angela couldn’t stop laughing! The new romance wasn’t going well… Oddly enough, a few years later, they got married!

They were always considered “made for each other” by everyone, because they were perfect together. Well… except those moments when Angela felt the need to tell people about their first date… which, unfortunately, was often…
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325744-Rock-and-Roll