*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325749-Dementia
Rated: E · Essay · Health · #2325749
Some of the Signs

#1075695
Dementia
The dictionary in my computer says: Dementia
a condition characterized by progressive or persistent loss of intellectual functioning, especially with impairment of memory and abstract thinking, and often with personality change, resulting from organic disease of the brain.

My mother had dementia and she lived to be 96 years old. I believe she began showing signs of it in the mid 80’s and maybe before. Since my mother didn’t live with us we weren’t affected by it very much.

I believe I’m in the beginning stages of Dementia myself, and I’ve been noticing it for several years. I’m 77 so mine is beginning a lot sooner then my mom’s.

It’s frustrating for both my wife and I, not remembering words of things you know A lot of people will tell you these are just senior moments but it goes beyond that. It’s not just names; but I can watch a TV show that I’ve seen before but I don’t remember it. Then it’s more than half way through before the light bulb comes on and I can say "I do remember it." If I’m on the phone talking with someone words don't come to me the same way they used too, and if my wife is within ear shot she’ll tell me what I want to say. That is frustrating for both her and I, but it is a relief when she can pick out the word I couldn’t.

I have a friend who’s significant other has full blown dementia and I hear his tales of woe, when we have breakfast. He’s been dealing with it for a least 7 years.

It scares me that this could be what Lou and I are in for in just a few more years. We know what’s coming down the pike, and there isn’t anything we can do about it. I’ve thought about Prevagen, but the doctors don’t think it’s the answer, but what is? I may give it a try but I don’t expect miracles. My mother used to ask if I thought that would work for her but she never tried it, and neither have I.

The Trials and Tribulations of growing old. I’ve been blessed having gone through so many medical issues. I have my faith and will continue to pray for help, but time will tell whether help will show up.

Dementia is a scary disease and one that I intend to make the best of it. I’ve learned to give all my concerns to the Lord, and let Him worry over it.

Have a Blessed Day and Remember
Life is Good and God is Great
© Copyright 2024 lucky dog (donyoung59 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325749-Dementia