*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326200-What-Matters-in-the-End
by Jay-J
Rated: E · Short Story · Philosophy · #2326200
Eddie and Joel, classmates in Brooklyn during the 1930s, met in 2020.
Breaking the fourth wall:

Eddie and Joel, classmates at St. Anthony's Elementary School in Brooklyn's Greenpoint during the 1930s, followed different paths in life. Eddie dedicated himself to the priesthood and missionary work, while Joel entered the military and later became a psychotherapist. Reunited in 2020, they reflect on their life's contributions and societal values.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Matters in the End.

Ah, the tale of Eddie and Joel, two Brooklyn boys from St. Anthony's who took wildly different paths in life. Picture this: it's 2020, and these old pals bump into each other at a coffee shop in Greenpoint. Eddie, with his clerical collar and weathered hands from years of missionary work, and Joel, sporting a military-style haircut and the keen eyes of a psychotherapist.

"Well, I'll be damned," Joel chuckles, realizing the irony of his words as he spots Eddie.

Eddie grins, "Language, Joel. Some habits die hard, eh?"

As they settle in with their coffees, the conversation turns to their life journeys. Eddie speaks of his calling to the priesthood, the remote villages he's served, and the souls he's touched. On the other hand, Joel recounts his military service and subsequent career helping veterans heal their psychological wounds.

"You know, Eddie," Joel muses, "I've often wondered if I've done enough. You've been out there saving souls, and I've been patching them up."

Eddie leans forward, his eyes twinkling. "Joel, my friend, don't sell yourself short. We've both been in the business of healing in different ways. You've mended minds; I've tended to spirits. Who's to say which is more valuable in the grand scheme?"

These two men, who've seen the best and worst of humanity, share a knowing laugh. As they part ways, both feel a sense of validation. Their paths may have diverged, but their impact on society, each in their way, has been profound. And isn’t that what matters in the end?

-30-
© Copyright 2024 Jay-J (joeljt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326200-What-Matters-in-the-End