*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326339-In-The-Sandhills
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Nature · #2326339
Lark goes to the ocean. 300 words
In The Sandhills


Everyday Lark journeyed to the sandhills near the ocean. She went there to see and hear the birds as they wheeled in the sky above the dunes giving their cries to the sky. Pipers foraged in the sand near the water.

“It took me awhile to get my personal niche in this dune just right, but now it’s perfect,” she reported to them as she took her seat to watch them skitter long-legged along the shore looking for tasty tidbits.

“I wish I knew what they ate, whether it’s seed or what,” she asked herself as she burst out laughing at their antics.

Suddenly she felt a tiny pinch. Looking all around her, she finally spotted the culprit.

“Well, well, Sir Crabsalot! That little taste test wasn’t called for!” she scolded as the tiny sand crab scurried away sideways. She smiled as he went even faster out of sight.

Lark sighed as the sounds of sea and bird calls lulled her to sleep. By the time she woke up, the sun was about to go down and she was burnt to a crisp.

“Ouch! I should know better than to fall asleep in direct sun! I can hardly move!” she moaned.

After a dint of hard work and some crawling, she managed to get out to stand at the bus stop. The female driver winced when she saw her. Without a word, she handed her a small bottle of aloe gel. Nodding gratefully, she accepted it and began to slather it on wherever she hurt the most.

That night, after liberal applications of aloe and Noxzema skin cream, she managed to fall asleep to the sounds of owls and whip-poor-wills calling in the night sky. As she drifted off, she sleepily decided she’d skip the sandhills tomorrow!
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326339-In-The-Sandhills