*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326499-Heart-to-Heart
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2326499
The Meeting of the High Council
And so, they called a meeting of the High Council.

And so the members of the High Council gathered, watched by crowds lining the passageways.

There was no noise. The matter to be discussed was so serious, everyone was silent. As the last member of the High Council entered, the doors swung shut and the crowds dispersed.

The leader of the High Council was the most magnificent figure of a Namuh. The Namuh is a naturally tall, thin race, resembling humans but much more beautiful. The leader rose and began speaking:

"Dear Namuh men and women — we are here to talk about our kinsfolk on the Planet Earth, the humans. Specifically, human hearts. Will my Secretary Namuh please read the proposal."

Another magnificent figure rose.

"It is put before this Council that the Human Heart, hereinafter called HH, is a fragile object. It is easily broken by jilting, easily melted by wheedling, and otherwise open to several forms of damage or disfigurement. It is therefore incumbent on this Council to approve the insertion of chromium in all future heart operations on Planet Earth, to protect the fragile HH. That is the motion before this meeting."

This was just the formal reading. Everyone knew what the proposal to be discussed was, and everyone had been thinking for days which way they were going to vote.

On the one hand, it would be good to have humans with stronger hearts. There would be fewer court cases, fewer illnesses ... on the other hand, some said that HH were what defined human beings. Take away the basic characteristic of the HH, its softness, and you might as well change the species.

"How is the chromium to be obtained?"

"Very easily, We tap into the planets that have it naturally underground."

"Will we have enough for all HH operations?"

"Yes. We have researched that."

"Before we vote, let's watch a video of HH surgery in progress. Then members can understand exactly when and how in the process the chromium can be introduced."

It was at this point that the mistake occurred. The tech team had every room in the hospital rigged up in readiness for this moment. Somehow, instead of clicking 'cardiology' they clicked 'maternity'.

The picture swam into view on the screen.

A young mother had just given birth to her first child, and she and the proud father were holding their daughter for the first time. The baby had stopped crying for the moment, but every other eye in the room was moist - the Mom's the Dad's, the Doctor's, the Nurse's ...

Members of the High Council of Namuhs found their eyes going moist, too. As the picture faded from the screen, the Secretary rose again.

"I vote to withdraw the proposal. Human Hearts are soft, and may they continue to be so."

There was a murmur of agreement.
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI HAPPY WDC 24 (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326499-Heart-to-Heart