*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326507-Happy-Birthday
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2326507
Sometimes getting older isn't the best thing.
         "Happy Birthday!" Everyone cheers celebrating the eighty-fifth birthday of this man. But he doesn't smile, I made sure of that. Every year he aged, I took another piece of him. I started small at first. A little memory from the past he would forget even without my touch. But as the birthdays came and went my darkness enveloped the deepest reaches of his mind. It's such a shame, his life was vibrant and plentiful but I have gotten all I can out of him. I listen out for the two words that bring me joy.

         "Happy Birthday!" I enter the room unnoticed and watch a celebration of a man's twenty-first birthday. He's so young. So much to live for. I decide to only take a nibble. He doesn't need to remember the entire night and thanks to all the alcohol he will just think he drank too much. My hand caresses his long blonde hair and I take what is mine. I don't usually go after those who are so young but I need something to sate my appetite.

         "Happy Birthday!" My ears ring and I quickly make my towards the noise. Another party, this one filled with fewer people than the last. The woman before me smiles as her friends and partner surround them. She blows out the candle and I make a wish. To a long life filled with memories so I may sate my hunger.
© Copyright 2024 Indecisive (indy-writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326507-Happy-Birthday