*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326511-Happy-Birthday
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2326511
Jenny starts a new job. Entry for the Horror Writing Contest, September 2024.
It was her eighteenth birthday. As her adoptive parents had mentioned to her many times in the preceding weeks, she would now be an adult. With adult responsibilities.

“We all have to contribute, Jenny - the bills don't pay themselves.”

She flinched as she heard the doorbell ring downstairs, at the laughter as their late visitor was admitted. (And God knows, this house was well used to late visitors.) She pulled the blankets tightly around her as she listened to the murmur of conversations in the room below.

“We know you wanted to go to university, but we just can't afford that. And we know of a job that you can start immediately and bring some money into the house.”

The tears started to fall as she heard the creak of a footstep on the bottom stair. Her “father” had been very clear on what the job entailed, what was expected of her...and what the consequences would be if she disappointed them in any way with her performance.

The final creak of a footstep on the top landing indicated that the acid test was about to start. Jenny was now sobbing uncontrollably as the door softly opened. The stranger entered - balding, overweight, acne ridden - bringing with him the appalling stench of body odour. Jenny stared in horror.

“You must be the birthday girl. Well, I've got a special present for you. Happy Birthday.”

The door softly closed again



Prompt and word count
© Copyright 2024 Dave Ryan (daveryan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326511-Happy-Birthday