*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326851-Extracts-from-GADAR-Omnibus-Almagast
Rated: E · Article · Sci-fi · #2326851
2460 Ominus Almagest, Grand Alliance Directorate for Assessment and Research (GADAR).
Extracts from Annual Omnibus Almagest, January, 2460,  published by the Grand Alliance Directorate for Assessment and Research (GADAR).

Bountiful-LEFTBOUNTIFUL-RIGHT

                   
Cabot's Star, GADAR 129.683.365.120, is a class K star approximately 548 light years from Earth.  The Cabot system has six planets in Type 4 conventional orbits ranging from 0.2AU to 86AU. Cabot Industries Trust purchased the system in 2312 CE from the Grand Alliance Navy.  The sole habitable world in the system is a satellite of the gas giant Kenebec (GADAR 129.683.365.120.B). See the entry for for Cabot's Landing (GADAR 129.683.365.120.B.5).

                   
Cabot's Landing, GADAR 129.683.365.120.B.5, is a class 12 satellite of Kenebec (GADAR 129.683.365.120.B), a Type II gas giant orbiting 1.2 AU from the local star.  Cabot's Landing has a diameter of 5912 km, a surface gravity of 883 cm/sec2, and an atmosphere that is 76% nitrogen, 22% oxygen, 1.2% argon and 0.8% other gases.  Its surface consists almost entirely of a planet-encompassing ocean with only one significant land mass, Bountiful, an island of approximately 58,000 km2.  The climate ranges from mild temperate to sub-polar in a complex, decades-long cycle depending on orbital mechanics. The satellite is notable for large deposits of dysprosium and other rare earth metals. 
                   
Government.  A Governor-General, appointed by the Grand Alliance Minister for Extra-Terrestrial Affairs, administers the civil service, as advised by a collection of Legates representing the various commercial, legal, and military entities on the satellite.
                   
History. The system was discovered in 2306 by the Heale Moanne of the Grand Alliance Fleet.  Cabot Industries Trust (CIT) purchased the system in 2312 and human operations began in 2318. 

In 2382, CIT leased an estuary on the northeastern coast of Bountiful to a religious group, the Communion of True Believers.  This group subsequently established Lansbury, a self-sustaining stable colony of approximately five thousand residents.  The colony operates as a semi-autonomous entity under the authority of the Governor General.  The Rector of the colony serves as the colony’s Legate to the Governor-General

                   
Population.  The current population of Bountiful is 36,212, including employees of CIT and their dependents, the colony of Lansbury, civilian personnel and their dependents, and military personnel.

Over 70% of the population originated on Earth and is accordingly ethnically and racially diverse. Other sources include Elsinore (10%), Patrie (10%), and Iskander (4%).
                   
Economy.  Exports from the cybernetic mining operations in the western mountains of Bountiful, owned and operated by CIT, account directly for 85% of the World Gross Product (WGP).  A workforce of approximately 12000 supports mining, refining, and exporting the ore.  The genetics research station on South Island employs approximately 500 researchers, and the civil authority another 1500. 

CIT operates three Urban-grade power stations on the island and a comprehensive AI network that provides for the control, maintenance, and operation of various support systems on the planet.

The Grand Alliance Navy’s Elisnor Fleet keeps a Battle Group permanently stationed in the Cabot system under the command of a Grand Admiral.  The Battle group includes a navy base and Marine base on Cabot’s Landing with 1000 and 2000 permanent personnel respectively.

With the discovery of other sources of rare earths (see, for example, Chthulu, GADAR 129.752.481.666.D), in 2460 CIT began transitioning personnel to other locations and announced plans to cease operations on Cabot’s Landing.
                   
Ecology.  Native marine life is abundant (see the entry for bandersnatch), but native land-based life forms are restricted to a few primitive plant species and various viral and microbial microorganisms.

Beginning in 2319, CIT seeded selected locations on Bountiful with a genetically engineered ecosystem to facilitate human habitation.  This ecosystem primarily supported species of wheat (see triticum cabitorum), amaranth (see amaranthus cabitorum), and sugar beets (see b. vulgaris caitorum), collectively designed to provide biomass for automated food processors. The latter two species require special soils and exist in limited locations, while the former is slowly spreading beyond the original locations. 

In 2381, CIT, under contract with the Grand Alliance Office of Fleet operations, established a genetic research facility on a geographically isolated island south of Bountiful.  This facility created and placed a comprehensive rain-forest ecology on the island that included genetically engineered goats, dogs, cats, chickens and pigs, among other species. 
                   
Transportation.  CIT built and currently operates a gravlev monorail connecting the mines and the industrial port where the ore is refined for export. They have extended the monorail to Cabot’s Lodge (site of the Governor-General’s headquarters on an eastern peninsula of Bountiful) and to the colony of Lansbury.  Plans to extend the monorail to the Marine base and the genetic research station on South Island have not been implemented at this date.

CIT also operates a regular flitter service between the industrial port and various other facilities on Bountiful.

Under contract with the Grand Alliance Navy, CIT constructed three ghostports on Bountiful, each with automated facilities for replenishing and repairing up to three Cruiser Class ships at any time, and up to fifteen tactical transports.  CIT operates the facilities at the industrial port and at Cabot’s Lodge, while the third is at the naval station and operates as part of the battle group permanently deployed to the Cabot's Star system.

         

         
© Copyright 2024 Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 (mathguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326851-Extracts-from-GADAR-Omnibus-Almagast