*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326999-I-Play-Doctor
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2326999
Flash Fiction
I Play Doctor

Alma wants to play doctor! Just under three and so full of ambition. I, however, Grandmother, do not like to play doctor. I also do not like to play kitchen, nor store… Her three favorites. Doctor being the most favorite that I don’t like to play.

I always have to be the doctor. I’ve always assumed that when a kid wanted to play doctor, they wanted to play THE doctor! Who wants to play the patient?? Also hard to read a book when you have to be the doctor…

I pick up the list of questions. Of course, the page is blank, if there even is a page, sometimes it gets confiscated to the crayon table. (I do like the crayon table, however, not Alma’s favorite yet.)

“You’re sick,” I say, as required. “You need to take this medicine right away.” I pick up a small plastic bottle and hand her a stick (I couldn’t find the play spoons, she understands.) I pour the invisible medicine onto the stick and then she pretends to take it by opening her mouth and closing it. Then suddenly, she is well! Woo, woo!

Unfortunately, this is the first of many, many doctor tools in her kit. We have to go through every one, some more than once. I never went to medical school; I don’t even know what half of them are supposed to be! I make up names. “We need to use the ‘Rolly’ now” I say, picking up this green handled thing with soft balls attached to it. I roll it over her hair, it tickles her. She giggles.

The bright spot. I have to admit making a two-year-old giggle does something to your heart. And so, once again, I give up on my book, and I play doctor.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326999-I-Play-Doctor