*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327092-Meaningless-Conversation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Business · #2327092
Gladys' unrequited love for her boss makes him crazy. 300 words
Meaningless Conversation


“Miz Dooley, come here now!” squawked out of the office intercom.

Gladys got her purse and her steno pad and walked sedately into her boss’ office.

“What does this mean?” he roared before she could sit down.

“Which one of the pieces of urgent documentation from your inbox are you referring to?” she said as sedately as possible.

“This note in your handwriting on top of the pile!”

“It’s fairly self-explanatory,” his office manager told him.

“You want me to arrange for your final paycheck? I can’t believe that after all our years in business together you want to quit!”

“You’re getting married soon. I have decided to retire.”

“But I need you! You have this office running like clockwork. How will I continue without you?”

“I can’t do it anymore, Jeff! Since we worked together so seamlessly, I always believed...”

Mr. Moxie stared at her, his mouth agape. His face went beet red, then paled to white.

“What made you think you were anything to me but a so-called ‘work wife’?” he gritted.

Gladys Dooley tensed. Moxie rounded his desk and grabbed her shoulders.

“Forgive me! My business needs you! Reconsider!”

“Let go of me or I’ll scream!” Gladys said, snatching up her purse.

When he wouldn’t, she hit him over and over with it.

Security rushed in.

“Let go of me you two, or you’re fired!” Moxie roared.

“We work for the Chairman of the Board not you!” the men answered.

After they had wrestled him out the door, Gladys sat down to recover. After a brief time of shaking, then trembling, she gathered herself and her belongings and sailed out the door in a breeze of relief.

“I need to go back to school and learn something new, anything but office work,” she told herself.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327092-Meaningless-Conversation