*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327127-the-end-of-the-world
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by grunic
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2327127
This is basically the end of the world with two of my original characters.

The world can't be done without us

A story of some of my characters that are placed in a fictional world, which is near the end of the world for them.


In a fictional world on the brink of collapse, adventure becomes essential, especially when uncertainty hangs thick in the air. Today felt especially strange--dark and gloomy, with flickering street lights casting eerie shadows. Most people chose to stay indoors, but not Rubi. An extrovert at heart, she decided to crash a random party she spotted while wandering the dimly lit streets. Her pale skin contrasted sharply with her black hair, which swung in a carefree ponytail as she walked.

Rubi arrived at her friend Angelica's house, her heart racing as she thought about how to introduce herself to a crowd of strangers. With a sigh, she used the spare key she kept on her, pushing the door open. Inside, the party buzzed with energy, and her anxiety surged, but she knew she had to mingle. After navigating through the throngs of unfamiliar faces, Rubi made her way upstairs to Angelica's room.

They chatted for a bit about the party and the latest gossip until Angelica said, "Oh, I met a new friend! You should meet her!"

Rubi raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued. "Where is she?"

"In the basement. She's pretty introverted, so you might have to break the ice," Angelica replied, a playful smile dancing on her lips.

Rubi hesitated. Being friends with someone so different was unusual for her, but she shrugged it off. Nodding, she made her way downstairs. The creaking steps echoed in the silence, and the dim lights flickered ominously. Rubi switched on her phone's flashlight as she descended into the dark corridor, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves.

When she entered the brightly lit room at the end of the hall, she found Neo--a girl absorbed in a massive book, her brows furrowed in concentration. "Hello! Are you... Angelica's friend?" Rubi asked, hoping to ensure she wasn't interrupting.

Neo looked up, her voice soft and shaky. "Uhm... yes. Are you... Rubey?" Her cheeks flushed as she stumbled over Rubi's name.

Rubi chuckled, correcting her, "It's 'Rubi.' And you are?"

"Neo," she replied, her eyes darting back to the book as if it were a shield against the world.

Rubi noted how pretty the name sounded--unique and delicate. She took a seat next to Neo, who returned to her reading, clearly flustered. Rubi noticed the book was enormous--maybe 700 pages? Neo was on page 423.

Weeks passed, and their online classes connected them in unexpected ways. Rubi discovered she genuinely enjoyed Neo's company, despite her initial discomfort with Neo's shyness. Their chats grew from quick exchanges to deeper conversations about life and dreams. Rubi found herself looking forward to their messages, her initial annoyance at Neo's introversion melting away.

One evening, as thunder rumbled outside, Rubi messaged Neo. "Hey! Wanna hang out in the park tomorrow?"

"Um, sure! But... it might rain?" Neo replied, her anxiety evident in her hesitation.

"A little rain never hurts anyone! We can find shelter if it gets bad. What do you say?" Rubi typed back, excitement bubbling inside her.

After a moment of pause, Neo agreed. "Okay. I'd like that."

The next day, they met at the park, the sky overcast but the rain holding off. As they strolled along the empty paths, Rubi felt a heaviness in the air. "Do you ever think about... you know, the end of the world?" she asked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Sometimes. It's hard not to," Neo admitted, scanning the horizon with worry in her eyes. "But I prefer to focus on what I can control--like my books and friendships."

"Right. It's nice to hang out with you. I didn't think I'd enjoy spending time with someone who prefers books to parties," Rubi said, grinning.

Neo chuckled softly, glancing down as her cheeks flushed. "I never thought I'd enjoy the company of someone so... outgoing. You make me step out of my comfort zone."

Just then, a distant rumble of thunder echoed through the park. "Maybe we should find some shelter," Rubi suggested, glancing toward a nearby gazebo. As they hurried over, the first drops of rain began to fall, quickly turning into a downpour. They reached the gazebo just in time, laughter bubbling between them as they shook off the water.

Once undercover, Neo pulled out a small book from her backpack. "Want to read with me while we wait it out?" she asked, her voice a mix of hope and nervousness.

"Read together? Isn't that a bit... quiet for you?" Rubi teased, trying to coax a smile from her.

"It's more fun with someone else," Neo said, a hint of determination breaking through her shyness. "You can even critique the characters."

"Alright, but if I don't like it, I'll let you know."

As the rain pounded against the roof, Rubi found herself drawn into the story, sharing her thoughts as they read. The tension in her chest eased, and she felt a deeper connection with Neo than ever before.

Suddenly, a loud crash interrupted them, and Rubi jumped. "What was that?"

"I don't know," Neo said, concerned creeping into her voice. "Let's check it out."

They stepped out of the gazebo, the rain drenching them instantly. As they approached the source of the noise, they found a fallen tree branch blocking the path.

"Wow, that's big," Rubi remarked, stepping closer. "Do you think we should move it?"

"It looks dangerous... but if we don't clear it, someone might get hurt," Neo replied, her voice trembling slightly.

"Alright, let's do it. On three?"

"Okay," Neo agreed, her expression determined despite her nerves. "One, two, three!"

They pushed against the branch, grunting as it shifted. With a heave, they rolled it aside, revealing a clear path.

"Nice teamwork!" Rubi exclaimed. "I didn't think we could do that."

"Neither did I," Neo admitted, her eyes wide with surprise, her embarrassment giving way to a shy smile.

"See? We make a great team," Rubi said, a newfound confidence bubbling up. "No matter what's happening in the world, we can handle it together."

As they stood there, rain soaking their clothes but spirits high, Rubi realized that even in a world on the brink of chaos, they had found something meaningful in each other's company--an unexpected adventure worth embracing.

As they continued their journey, the storm raged around them, the thunder growing louder and the rain heavier. They found a small clearing surrounded by trees, their branches swaying violently in the wind. Rubi felt a rush of adrenaline as she turned to Neo. "Let's make a wish," she suggested, feeling the weight of their day's adventure.

"Okay!" Neo replied, her eyes wide with curiosity. "What do we wish for?"

"Let's wish for more adventures--big ones and small ones," Rubi said, closing her eyes. "And for us to always have each other's backs!"

Neo smiled, closing her eyes too. "I wish for courage--for us to face whatever comes our way."

They opened their eyes, both feeling a sense of camaraderie in their wishes. Just as they were about to leave, Rubi felt a sudden shift in the air, a crackle of energy. "Did you feel that?" she asked, glancing around.

"Yeah, it's like... something's about to happen," Neo replied, looking up at the sky where the clouds were swirling ominously.

Before they could react, a loud crack echoed through the clearing, and a bolt of lightning struck a nearby tree. Rubi and Neo jumped back, eyes wide.

"Let's get out of here!" Rubi shouted, grabbing Neo's hand as they sprinted back toward the path.

They ran through the park, laughter mixing with adrenaline, exhilaration coursing through them. As they reached the entrance, the rain began again, but this time it felt refreshing, washing away their fears.

"Did we just survive a lightning strike?" Neo gasped, her heart racing.

"Totally!" Rubi laughed, breathless. "That was insane! But we're alive--and that means more adventures await us!"

Neo nodded, a smile spreading across her face. "I can't wait to see what's next."

As they stepped out into the rain, Rubi felt a sense of hope and determination. In a world that felt uncertain, they had each other--and that made all the difference.

As they continued their journey, the storm continued to rage, yet their laughter echoed through the park, a testament to their unyielding spirit. They embraced whatever came next, ready to face it together, hand in hand.

As the darkness closed in, they took a deep breath and embraced the uncertainty, their hearts filled with hope and fierce determination. No matter how the world ended, they would always be side by side--two souls intertwined in a chaotic dance, refusing to let go, ready to make their last moments count.



© Copyright 2024 grunic (gruniccx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327127-the-end-of-the-world