*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/293895-Apprentice-WizardChapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #293895
This is the second chapter of the Apprentice Wizard.
Chapter II

The next morning Wagnalls woke Dar as he had promised, and they had a quick breakfast. They did not eat for very long for they were on there way as soon as possible: Dar was displeased. They carried very little equipment, and very little food. In actuality, the only thing they brought was a small leather pouch that was carried by Wagnalls. Along with the leather pouch, Wagnalls carried a large wooden staff, which was quite larger than Dar’s, but it had no moonstone. This came to an immediate shock to Dar because he had never once seen a Wizard of Krystone, or any Wizard, without a moonstone. It was truly odd, but Dar kept it to himself.

Nearly all morning, the two men walked in single file with very few words. They were walking through the dense forest that surrounded Wagnalls dwelling. Weaving around and through tall aged trees and thick bushes that scratched their legs with their razor sharp thorns. The forest was dark and hot, but not once did the two stop for water, and the insects were around in millions. In addition to the strange sounds that were on all sides of the travelers, Dar tried not to show sign of fear, but he showed great interest in the sounds. Never once had he traveled in this forest before, except for his trip north to the Circle of Fate from his hometown of Mindar. He looked all about him but could see nothing; he could only hear the strange cries of the wild animals. Some were high pitched, and some were deep growls. A couple of times he swore he heard some sort of ape, but it was probably just his imagination.

For hours Dar blindly followed the old Wizard, but Dar dare not ask anything for it seemed like Wagnalls was deep in thought. For some reason, Dar felt like he would never again return to that old shack ever again. But only time would tell.

After a long while, Dar finally broke the deafening silence. “Where are we going Wagnalls? We’ve been walking for hours now” The cries had stopped and there was nothing but silence for some hours. It was getting late now, probably around eight o’clock at night, and the air began to get cold, and the bugs went into hiding until the next day when it would surely be unbearably hot again.

“You speak as if I were taking you somewhere.” Wagnalls replied.

“But you are. I’m walking right behind you.” Dar stopped. He leaned on his staff and put his other hand on his waist. He waited for an answer.

“What makes you think so? Maybe I’m just wandering around in circles.” Wagnalls kept on walking.

“Because . . .” Dar thought for a moment. “You were in a great rush this morning, and before I started to eat you told me not to waist time and to hurry. Um . . . For the past three hours you’ve been in deep thought, about what I can not say and . . . and it was a bad breakfast too you know, all rushed and what not . . .”

“Very good young Dar. Your reasoning is very good. You also have great patience, until know though. I admire that for it’s so hard to come by these days. But, I’m sorry to say I’m not really leading you anywhere. You are wrong.” Wagnalls stopped and turned around to Dar.

“You mean I’ve been following you around for hours and you’re not going anywhere. This is ridiculous. I can’t believe this, I mean first the bad breakfast and now . . .”

“Silence.” Wagnalls ordered. Dar stopped and looked at the old wizard who now seemed quite irritated. “This may be hard for you to understand but you must, for everything comes down to this. I was not leading you, you were leading me.”

Dar started to laugh. “What? You must be getting old.” Dar laughed some more and sat on a nice piece of grass against a tree, and rested his head on a soft green piece of moss. He laid his staff across his legs.

“I may be getting old, but I do not lie.” Wagnalls squatted in front of Dar and leaned against his staff to keep his balance. “You remember when I told you you had to learn another type of magic. An elemental?” Wagnalls searched Dar’s eyes.

“Yes. How could I forget?” Dar stared at the old man.

“Well, you have made your decision.”
‘What?” Dar was bewildered.

“It may have seemed like you were following me but you were not. I was following you. The road you chose to take dictated what magic you would learn. There were five temples you could have chosen to travel to and only one did you pick. You have chosen the hardest type to learn, which is strange because most people chose Fire, but you have chosen Earth.”

“Earth? I wanted fire.” Dar looked away from Wagnalls.

“Now, Now. To control nature is to be master of your mind. And to be master of your mind is what a true wizard tries to master. Do you understand?” Wagnalls stopped talking and waited for a reply. Dar tried to comprehend what was said, but only caught half of it.

“Now come we don’t have much time, and we have a great distance to travel. Let us go.” Wagnalls extended his hand and Dar received it, and was helped to his feet. They continued through the forest, Wagnalls first and Dar behind.
At dusk, they set up camp and had supper. Hardly a meal by Dar’s standards. All they ate was some sort of dried meat. It had a strange taste as it was chewed, but it had the power to revive and restore energy. The sun hid beneath the distant horizon, and the forest was quiet. The only sound was that of the fire that sat between Wagnalls and Dar.

“Do you often come to the forest, Wagnalls?” Dar was looking up at the night sky.

“Sometimes. Some times I like to just walk and walk with nowhere particular to go. I have no fear of the forest. Fear is our only enemy. Remember that Dar.” Dar nodded. “I often go and visit Parnassus, the Master Wizard of Earth, and lord of the forests. The two of you will meet, soon enough.” He finished and looked into the flame of the fire.

“Wagnalls . . . can you tell me about your master?” Dar tried to look into the old wizards eyes.

“I knew you were going to ask me that sooner or later.” He took a deep breath. “He was a very wise man. He was proud of every accomplishment of his life, sometimes too proud. He was the Master of Fire, as I am now, but he also mastered the power of Wind. His name was Honora. I miss him dearly, but he is gone now. Died many years ago. He was killed by an evil demon. The Gaseous Form. An evil creature that takes no true form, but kills with ease. They say she cannot die, and they may be right. She killed Honora in seconds: He couldn’t touch her. She was far too fast. She nearly killed me too, but I escaped with my life. I was lucky her sword didn’t pierce my heart along with Honora’s.” Wagnalls grew silent.

“I’m truly sorry for you master. I wish . . .”

“There is nothing you can do, and don’t be sorry. We are wizards you know.” He glared at Dar. Then he looked down at the fire, and once again at Dar.

“Do you remember your parents Dar?” Wagnalls asked.

“My parents. I have no parents. I’ve been an orphan my entire life. I grew up at the school in the town of Mindar. They took me in with open arms, and never once questioned me about my family. As years went by, the only thing that I remember is that I believed I had to grow up to be a great wizard. I want to become strong and protect the world from evil.

“And maybe someday you will find your parents and be reunited.” Wagnalls added.

“No, your wrong this time. I don’t want to find them. If they couldn’t handle me then, they can handle me now.” Dar tossed a piece of wood into the fire. “I never want to find them.”

“There will be a time when you will be forced to choose between yourself and your loved ones. When that day comes, I hope you are ready, and make the right choice.” Lectured the old man.
“But until that day you have much work to do.” Wagnalls put his hand on Dar’s shoulder.

“You need rest. I’ll see you in the morning. Good night.” Wagnalls let go of Dar and went to sleep.

Dar stayed up and watched the embers of the fire turn to dust. A tear ran down his cheek. He went to sleep.


*


“Hurry boy, wake up!” Wagnalls was shaking Dar trying to wake him up. “We must go. Trouble follows.” Wagnalls hurried away and began picking up the items they had brought.

Dar looked around and the thick forest was covered in inches of ice-cold snow. It was as if they had ventured to the top of a mountain. The wind blow hard over the frozen ground, and it chilled Dar to the bone. It could be only one thing Dar had thought, and Wagnalls knew too what it was.

“Sorcery.” Dar said in disbelief. He jumped to his feet and picked up his staff off the cold ground.

“Come Dar we must hurry.” Wagnalls yelled. “This way!” He started to run and Dar followed. “It’s not sorcery, it’s witch craft. And we’re in grave danger.” They ran across the slippery frozen ground as fast as they could, but the end was nowhere in sight.

In moments a figure came into sight only feet in front of them. It was a woman dressed completely in black, her cloths were torn and ragged. Long dark hair blew in the breeze, and flowed behind her back. Her skin was a gray, and she stared at the wizards with her empty black eye sockets. She raised her hand, and pointed her finger at Dar, and then she slid her finger across her throat. She let out a high pitch laugh.

“I command you to leave this place at once witch. I Wagnalls the Wizard command you.” Wagnalls pointed his staff at the witch.

She let out a wicked laugh. “I have come for the boy. I have no use for you old man.” She spoke in a wicked, harsh voice. “Dead or alive. What do you say to that wizard?”

“Who sent you witch?” Wagnalls commanded.

“I am Night Shade. The destroyer of men, and the plague of nations.” She again let out her hideous laugh. She slowly began to approach the wizards.

“No! You shall go no further.” Wagnalls declared. Suddenly, a huge flame that lit up the forest and melted the snow around him engulfed him. Dar couldn’t believe his eyes. Night Shade was stunned. For Wagnalls no longer wore old ragged clothes, but he wore a shimmering red velvet cloak and hood. On his back flowing in the wind was a cape of fire, and upon his staff sat a great ball of multicolored flames.

“Your trickery can’t fool me old man.” She charged at Dar. She reached into her cloak and pulled out a shimmering black blade. “The boy is mine. Die!” She lunged at Dar.

Wagnalls lifted his staff in the air and the flames grew higher. “Fireball” Wagnalls called out. Instantly a flaming ball came flying out the end of the great staff, and fell upon Night Shade with great speed. Night Shade had no chance. A long path of burnt grass lead up to a burning heap on the ground. All that was left were her charred bones still holding onto the black blade.

Dar was stunned and frozen solid from what he had just experienced. He just stood and stared at Wagnalls who was no longer an old man but a great wizard.

The snow did not leave, but the cold wind grew in strength, and it was colder than ever.

Wagnalls slapped Dar had in the face, which almost put him to the ground, to get his attention. “Run you fool. Don’t just stand there.” Wagnalls grabbed his arm and begun to run while forcing Dar to keep up with an amazing pace. “Stay beside me and keep running!”

“Why did she want me? I’ve never seen her before in my life.” Dar yelled out.

“I don’t know. She is strong though, and smart. The pile of burning flesh was just mirage.” Wagnalls explained. He was searching the forest with his keen eyes. He saw nothing. “Just keep your eyes open. She’ll be back. A witch who can control the weather, that’s odd.” They dodged a fallen tree. “I never thought there would be evil in these parts. Not yet anyway.” Dar started to fall back a bit.

“Not yet . . .what do you mean?”

Wagnalls began to slow down and let go of Dar’s arm. He glanced back and then swung his staff hard at Dar’s head. “You’ll never get out of the forest alive!”

Wagnalls staff fell hard on the witch’s right arm and broke it as she reached around to slit Dar’s throat. The witches let out an ear-piercing scream and jumped back. Dar fell hard to the ground and rolled into a tree.

“Give up you old hag before I send you back to Hell.” Wagnalls yelled and pointed his staff at Night Shade.

The witch began to laugh. She slowly inched her way back to her feet, and shook her head. Reaching down to her right arm, she pushed the bone that was sticking out of her skin from the break back into place, and smiled at the Wizard.

“Why do you want the boy? He is weak, and powerless. Why?” Dar started to spin his staff in the air. He spun it slowly at first, and then it grew in speed until the witch could not see it.

She let out a deafening scream. “My master wishes his presence.” She hissed.

“Who’s your master?” Wagnalls yelled.

“An old friend!” She pointed at her knife that was stuck in the ground, and then it floated to her in a black flash. “Die.” She charged Wagnalls.

In an instant Wagnalls let go of the spinning staff, and it stayed floating right where he was holding it: It was hypnotizing.

For only a second, Night Shade hesitated, and then continued to run at Wagnalls. Instead of running, Wagnalls stood his remained still and calm. He pointed at the witch and without hesitation, the staff went flying through the air at the witch like a spear. The staff missed and hit a tree hard and stuck straight up. Wagnalls was vulnerable now and was weaponless, and Night Shade new it. She threw all her weight into him trying to pierce his flesh with her black dagger.

Dar tried to get up, but he fell to the ground as soon as he got up. He watched helplessly as there was a red blur, and then there was a spray of black liquid as Night Shade’s arm fell off. It landed near Dar, who was nearly twenty feet away. Wagnalls was now standing in front of the witch holding a red dagger that was dripping thick black blood. The witch tried to run, but as she got to her feet, she fell again, and this time her head hit the ground next to her coloring the snow black.

Dar passed out.

© Copyright 2001 Trav !! (stu_wart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/293895-Apprentice-WizardChapter-2