*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/651542-Prologue--Till-the-end-of-Time
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Horror/Scary · #651542
Prologue to a vampire novel I am working on.
5-06-05
The sun was setting on yet another day. Orange light filled the bedroom setting it on fire as the sun moved from the sky. Shenna Ashwart slowly and painfully rose from the bed where she had been resting all day. She was resting to save her strength for the coming night. She made her way inch by painful inch to the large bay windows to watch the last rays of the sun sink below the horizon.Its light gave Shenna's pale skin a blood-colored hue.

         “Another night has come again." She leaned heavily against the big-paned window. "Will these pains in my body ever go away?" Her voice was soft and filled with suffering as she looked out over the field of trees and swamp land that sprawled below her.

"Has it really been two years since that horrid night so long ago when blood flowed down the street like the Mississippi river that over ran its banks?" she asked herself, shaking her head, sadness enveloping her body.

Her nostrils flared."I can still smell the sweet scent of blood, hear the screams of people the dying." She looked out, her eyes empty, her chest constricting with sorrow. I can still hear the crunching sounds of bones being broken by my own bare hands. The agony that makes it so hard to move reminds me each and every day that I almost did not survive that horrid night."


She turned away from the world, her arms around herself. "Two years! How could it have gone by so fast?" She looked heavenward in askance. "And yet, These pains still rack my body."

Her eyes returned to the window, begging, needing. "Many mortals think vampires are immortal never dying, But alas that isn't true."

She shook her head and withdrew into her room. "Just like two years ago I was sure I was going to finally rest in piece."

Her eyes trailed the corners of the small, dark room, pleading for someone to hear, knowing there was no one there. "I can still be killed and if wounded badly enough I could die. If the wound is deep and large it takes a very long time to heal. Most little wounds heal in twenty-four hours, but wounds like what I received two years ago, are still healing.”

         She looked at the floor and slowly, carefully ambled to the lone chair. She neede to hear her own voice. She needed to hear any voice. "That year was the hardest I have ever had to face. Never knowing what would happen next." She grabbed the arms of the over-stuffed, leather chair and sank into its creaking comfort. "All those lives lost, and the suffering I had to endure at the time. I hope I will never have to witness that ever again."

She sighed and watched the heavens turn a nice rich purple color as night took over the sky.

“Time to prepare for the night." She banished her sorrow and set her shoulders.

         "This is how it will always be from now until the end of time. Just like every night since my cration, feeding and hunting, never changing.”

© Copyright 2003 Janelle Sian (jantiel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/651542-Prologue--Till-the-end-of-Time